Jump to content

What's Your Favorite Saturdaynight Special....


Skans
 Share

Recommended Posts

Do you have a cheap handgun that actually works?  I do - mine is a Jennings J-22 from about 1988.  Looks like this:

 

23718105_5.jpg?v=8D304429C4BAE10&f=1&nof

 

It's supposed to be a real piece of crap.  However, I've put hundreds of rounds through in this ZAMAC (zinc alloy for injection molding) special over the years, and it's still working.  Need to keep the chamber clean and the gun lightly lubricated. I used to carry it (pre-gun permits) when I would be out and about riding my motorcycle. Note the metal safety switch, which actually worked on this model.  Some models had a plastic safety which was useless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Skans said:

Do you have a cheap handgun that actually works?  I do - mine is a Jennings J-22 from about 1988.  Looks like this:

 

23718105_5.jpg?v=8D304429C4BAE10&f=1&nof

 

It's supposed to be a real piece of crap.  However, I've put hundreds of rounds through in this ZAMAC (zinc alloy for injection molding) special over the years, and it's still working.  Need to keep the chamber clean and the gun lightly lubricated. I used to carry it (pre-gun permits) when I would be out and about riding my motorcycle. Note the metal safety switch, which actually worked on this model.  Some models had a plastic safety which was useless.

I have a mid 80's Tanfoglio (Excam) GT27 that still works and is in decent shape. It's about the only piece I own that I would consider a "Saturday Night Special" so... 

 

Lol

 

Titan-25.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, rippy38 said:

I have a mid 80's Tanfoglio (Excam) GT27 that still works and is in decent shape. It's about the only piece I own that I would consider a "Saturday Night Special" so... 

 

Lol

 

Titan-25.jpg

Oh, Crap!!!  The EXCAM .25.  I forgot that I have one too.  I inherited it from my grandfather-in-law.  I've never actually shot it, but it's actually a nicely made little mouse gun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Skans said:

Oh, Crap!!!  The EXCAM .25.  I forgot that I have one too.  I inherited it from my grandfather-in-law.  I've never actually shot it, but it's actually a nicely made little mouse gun.

I have no idea where I got this one from... my ex mother in law I think.

 

I believe they made about a billion of them.

 

 

Lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Skans said:

Yeah, it's not like many people actually go out looking to purchase these guns, right? 

She used to carry it in her purse I believe, and she upgraded to an S&W Airweight .38 if I'm not mistaken. I haven't fired it in probably a decade, but it fired fine the last time I shot it.

 

.25 acp is probably the most anemic round ever made, and they are hard to find these days.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, rippy38 said:

She used to carry it in her purse I believe, and she upgraded to an S&W Airweight .38 if I'm not mistaken. I haven't fired it in probably a decade, but it fired fine the last time I shot it.

 

.25 acp is probably the most anemic round ever made, and they are hard to find these days.

 

 

 

While .25acp is anemic, it can still be effective.  Corbon 25acp:  Muzzle energy 94 Velocity 1100fps. 

Consider that the most powerful Gamo pellet rifle will push a 15 grain .22 projectile at maybe 900fps.  Muzzle Energy 27. 

 

So, your little EXCAM is basically over 3x more powerful than the hottest Gamo break-barrel .22, just to put things into perspective.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Skans said:

While .25acp is anemic, it can still be effective.  Corbon 25acp:  Muzzle energy 94 Velocity 1100fps. 

Consider that the most powerful Gamo pellet rifle will push a 15 grain .22 projectile at maybe 900fps.  Muzzle Energy 27. 

 

So, your little EXCAM is basically over 3x more powerful than the hottest Gamo break-barrel .22, just to put things into perspective.

Damn, I'm surprised that CorBon makes .25acp.

 

Truth be told, I may be a little apprehensive about putting a CorBon through the Excam!

 

Lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, rippy38 said:

Damn, I'm surprised that CorBon makes .25acp.

 

Truth be told, I may be a little apprehensive about putting a CorBon through the Excam!

 

Lol

LOL is right!  Mine may be a bit older.  Doesn't say Tanfoglio on it. I tested the frame with a magnet, and it's actually made of steel.  I note that yours has the mag release on the bottom.  Mine has a button mag release. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Skans said:

LOL is right!  Mine may be a bit older.  Doesn't say Tanfoglio on it. I tested the frame with a magnet, and it's actually made of steel.  I note that yours has the mag release on the bottom.  Mine has a button mag release. 

Yep, mine has the mag release on the bottom. It also says EXCAM Hialeah FL on one side of the slide and Tanfoglio Italy on the other side.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, rippy38 said:

Yep, mine has the mag release on the bottom. It also says EXCAM Hialeah FL on one side of the slide and Tanfoglio Italy on the other side.

Now, I'm going to have to pull out that old .25 and see if it says Tanfoglio.  Maybe I'm wrong?  I do know that it says EXCAM, and I believe the importer was out of Hialeah, FL.

 

Tanfoglio has upped their game.  They make some excellent handguns.  I love the high end Witness line.  I have one of the original Stock 10mm's.  The thing is a dream to shoot.  Great for bowling pins. I like the original Stock because it doesn't have the cheese-grater rail and no full dust-cover (unnecessary metal IMHO).

 

69fe870942c926f92a0d623c644f525c.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Skans said:

Now, I'm going to have to pull out that old .25 and see if it says Tanfoglio.  Maybe I'm wrong?  I do know that it says EXCAM, and I believe the importer was out of Hialeah, FL.

 

Tanfoglio has upped their game.  They make some excellent handguns.  I love the high end Witness line.  I have one of the original Stock 10mm's.  The thing is a dream to shoot.  Great for bowling pins. I like the original Stock because it doesn't have the cheese-grater rail and no full dust-cover (unnecessary metal IMHO).

 

69fe870942c926f92a0d623c644f525c.jpg

 

If DAT's your SNS...?

 

You are a Party Animal!

 

Ha!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Blue Devil said:

 

If DAT's your SNS...?

 

You are a Party Animal!

 

Ha!

Not sure what "SNS" means?  This gun is one of my shooters.  I use it when we break out the bowling pins.   9mm sucks for pins.  45 is a little better.  I even tried using a Desert Eagle  44 mag - great for clearing the table, but the gun is just too heavy,  the grip sucked and 44mag is too expensive.  The Stock gets the job done.  The key is not trying to rush it like you would with a 9mm. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now, for my least favorite "SNS"....... the Lorcin .380.  Basically, made by the same company that made the Jennings-J22.  Bryco, Jennings, Lorcin - all the same, just goes under different names.  This thing is a piece of shit.  The extractor breaks, and replacements break as well.  It's bulky, heavy, ugly, made of ZAMAC and is prone to breaking.  I got this thing when a friend of mine had to do some prison time.  He had to get rid of it (no, it wasn't used in any crime) and said "it's yours".  I said thanks.  He said "Dude, don't thank me - it sucks, I just don't know what else to do with it"

 

I thought about stripping it down and selling it for parts.  The frame is probably easy enough to melt down.  Believe it or not, there is one just like this on Gunbroker with 8 bids!  High bid is currently at $53.  What I have done with it is polish the feed ramp and the contact points on the fire control parts.  Heck, why not?

9c7f7427a651f406abee7bb9bc596f45.jpg&f=1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/22/2021 at 10:36 AM, Blue Devil said:

Have no use for cheap, crappy, anemic firearms.

 

Small - is a SIG P938 9mm Para, w/ 147 gr. HST std. pressure.

 

938-9-NMR-AMBI-large.jpg

... but that's just me.

That's a sweet little gun that I've considered buying on several occasions.  Just never pulled the trigger on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/28/2021 at 7:22 AM, Skans said:

That's a sweet little gun that I've considered buying on several occasions.  Just never pulled the trigger on it.

 

If you like the 1911/P220 platform, and aren't a mag capacity or external safety snob, they are extremely solid li'l pistols.

 

... especially w/ the 147 gr. std. pressure fodder, which helps w/ blast and recoil, but still hits the performance marks.

 

Crisp trigger, good sights, and very precise, like < 4" at 25 yards offhand.

 

 

 

  • Thumb up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...