Symptoms of "do something" disease - "In wake of Oxford shooting, Slotkin to introduce bill to require safe storage of firearms" - Detroit News

Yet more evidence of the "do something" disease. Just a show by a democrat congressperson. This FEDERAL legislation is DOA, it has no chance and she knows it.

Slotkin is done for in 2022. Book it.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2021/12/15/slotkin-introduce-bill-require-safe-storage-firearms/8896477002/

"

Washington — In the wake of the deadly Oxford school shooting, U.S. Rep. Elissa Slotkin is planning to introduce legislation in Congress requiring the secure storage of firearms in households where children could reasonably access the weapon.

Gun owners who don't secure their firearms could face up to five years in prison if a child does gain access to the weapon and uses it to cause injury to themselves or others or uses it in a crime, according to a bill summary.

"I really wanted the first bill to come out of this tragedy to be based on the sentiment and wishes of the community ... toward changing the law to support responsible gun ownership and preventing access by children," said Slotkin, a Holly Democrat who represents the Oxford area."

1 minute ago, superds77 said:

Yet more evidence of the "do something" disease. Just a show by a democrat congressperson. This FEDERAL legislation is DOA, it has no chance and she knows it.

Slotkin is done for in 2022. Book it.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2021/12/15/slotkin-introduce-bill-require-safe-storage-firearms/8896477002/

"

Washington — In the wake of the deadly Oxford school shooting, U.S. Rep. Elissa Slotkin is planning to introduce legislation in Congress requiring the secure storage of firearms in households where children could reasonably access the weapon.

Gun owners who don't secure their firearms could face up to five years in prison if a child does gain access to the weapon and uses it to cause injury to themselves or others or uses it in a crime, according to a bill summary.

"I really wanted the first bill to come out of this tragedy to be based on the sentiment and wishes of the community ... toward changing the law to support responsible gun ownership and preventing access by children," said Slotkin, a Holly Democrat who represents the Oxford area."

How dare we require Americans to secure their weapons from children!!!!!!!!

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, vegasgiants said:

How dare we require Americans to secure their weapons from children!!!!!!!!

Tell us how this would have prevented the tragedy at Oxford High School?

At the federal level , this is pure theater and you, as expected, fall for it hook, line and sinker.

If something like this even has a chance it would be at a state level.

Just now, superds77 said:

Tell us how this would have prevented the tragedy at Oxford High School?

At the federal level , this is pure theater and you, as expected, fall for it hook, line and sinker.

If something like this even has a chance it would be at a state level.

If you did not secure your weapon and a child uses it to hurt someone shoukd you be punished?

That's what this law does 

Tell me what is wrong  with that?

• great post 1

19 minutes ago, vegasgiants said:

If you did not secure your weapon and a child uses it to hurt someone shoukd you be punished?

I think this is a worthy discussion to have at a state level. The devil is in the details.

No need for a one-size fits all from DC.

Let the states, rightfully, decide.

1 minute ago, superds77 said:

I think this is a worthy discussion to have at a state level. The devil is in the details.

There is no state in the union that has a good reason for NOT having this law

It is basic common sense and obviously they cant get it done so it should be done federally

7 minutes ago, vegasgiants said:

It is basic common sense and obviously they cant get it done so it should be done federally

Well that is one point of view.

I say, let the good people of each respective state decide. Perhaps some come up with better ideas.

Lastly, adding a stack of laws will not, and likely would not, prevent this sorts of horrible tragedies.

• Thumb up 1

I say, let the good people of each respective state decide. Perhaps some come up with better ideas.

Lastly, adding a stack of laws will not, and likely would not, prevent this sorts of horrible tragedies.

If you leave your gun out and a kid uses it to kill someone you shoukd go to prison 

How anyone can be against that law is beyond me

29 minutes ago, superds77 said:

Why?  Are children using guns and killing themselves and others an acceptable thing in any state? If so, in which states?

1 minute ago, XavierOnassis said:
32 minutes ago, superds77 said:

Why?  Are children using guns and killing themselves and others an acceptable thing in any state? If so, in which states?

Because that is how our republic functions. I know most of you on the left are loathe to acknowledge this, but our constitution is the law of the land.

There are enough people who care in each respective state to come up with potentially viable solutions to these types of issues.

Because that is how our republic functions. I know most of you on the left are loathe to acknowledge this, but our constitution is the law of the land.

There are enough people who care in each respective state to come up with potentially viable solutions to these types of issues.

Federal gun control is constitutional 

23 minutes ago, superds77 said:

This is NOT a "stack of laws" it is ONE LAW.

What could be a better idea than securing guns so that children cannot use them? 

You obviously consider yourself to be a genius, YOU tell us what would work better.

1 hour ago, vegasgiants said:

That's already a given...hence the crumbly parents sitting in the cage...

40 minutes ago, vegasgiants said:

thanks for your opinion, dismissed...

8 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

This is NOT a "stack of laws" it is ONE LAW.

Yes and tell us how this "one law" will prevent these types of tragedies.

9 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

What could be a better idea than securing guns so that children cannot use them?

Yes guns should be properly stored. Perhaps some PSAs are in order.

10 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

You obviously consider yourself to be a genius, YOU tell us what would work better.

I do? Wow. What would work better is if the caring people of each state come up with laws that make sense for them.

Laws will not prevent evil people from doing evil things. This was not some accident.

8 minutes ago, vegasgiants said:

You miss the point.....again

Here's the deal, "responsible" gun owners with children have their weapons and ammo secured. This includes trigger lock, gun safes, weapon / ammo separation and most of all, strict instruction / education in weapon safety and handing...

like superds77 stated, this is nothing but a "feel good" bill designed to punish the masses for the few idiots that fuck up...typical gubment overreach......

I agree that it is not likely that such a common sense law be passed.  I recall my neighbor who liked to brag about how he slept with a pistol under his pillow.

I recall one New Year's Eve when he had a few too many and celebrated the New Year by firing hie pistol straight up into the air .  I opened the door, and saw what he was doing and went back inside.

The next day he was looking at the hole someone put in his windshield. How could that have happened?

Once i asked him why he did not use blanks for celebratory occasions.  He told me that I knew nothing about guns, especially how blanks cost a lot more than real ammo.

2 minutes ago, superds77 said:

Yes and tell us how this "one law" will prevent these types of tragedies.

Yes guns should be properly stored. Perhaps some PSAs are in order.

I do? Wow. What would work better is if the caring people of each state come up with laws that make sense for them.

Laws will not prevent evil people from doing evil things. This was not some accident.

FYI, compared to the libtardos here, we're all Einsteins....lol

Here is how this works:

Joe Schmoe leaves his gun out, perhaps under his pillow. His little girl finds it and plugs her little brother, Bo schmor in the head and kills him.

Then Joe gets arrested and jailed under the Put Your Guns Away law.

This is in the news and other idiots who have been leaving their guns out, start putting them in a safe place.

It works for the same reason Stop signs and traffic lights work. Avoid accidents and arrests.