This is about a good man who did much good.

Bob Dole was a good man who did much good. We will always remember him that way, and he will be missed.

But no one is perfect, and here is a story about him that might interest some.

As politics has long been a love of mine and the misguided exportation of our jobs and industries has long been a hot topic for me, I offer this:
After being publicly outspoken about his opposition to bringing GATT 94 to the floor of the Senate, why did Dole flip-flop despite getting thousands of daily constituent communications urging him not to do so? Though there is likely a panoply of reasons that could explain it, here are a few possibilities: a threat to reveal something about him, some other threat, corporate pressure, a cash payoff, a promise that he could run for president.

I left a sickbed and waited in the cold for hours to ask Dole a question. I was not allowed into his speech to ask it. (I imagine it was because my question couldn’t be prescreened and scheduled.) When he left his speech, he shuffled sideways towards his limousine while surrounded by media and signing autographs. I asked him twice to ask a question; both requests were ignored. My third request was answered arrogantly with, “Is it a real question?” I responded yes and proceeded. I don’t remember my exact words, but I mentioned the solid opposition of his constituents to GATT 94 and asked, “Do you represent your constituents, or are you marching to a different drummer?” He grunted, continued shuffling towards his limousine, then got in it, never answering my question. Most all the media present displayed broad grins.

Shortly afterward, I spoke with two trusted friends who watched when Pres. Clinton and Dole announced Dole’s change of heart. Pres. Clinton spoke first. As they crossed on stage, my friends said that by watching Pres. Clinton’s mouth, it was clear that he told Dole, “Don’t f**k this up.”

Subsequently, when Dole published his book, I hoped it would reveal some inside workings of Congress and why he flip-flopped on GATT 94. I never read the book, but I didn’t have to because, if he had, such revelations would have been plastered throughout the media.

General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade

Images

Description

The General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade is a legal agreement between many countries, whose overall purpose was to promote international trade by reducing or eliminating trade barriers such as tariffs or quotas. 

25 minutes ago, rick55 said:

Bob Dole was a good man who did much good. We will always remember him that way, and he will be missed.

But no one is perfect, and here is a story about him that might be interesting to some.

As politics has long been a love of mine, I offer the following:
After being publicly outspoken about his opposition to bringing GATT 94 to the floor of the Senate, why did Dole flip-flop despite getting thousands of daily constituent communications urging him not to do so? Though there is likely a panoply of reasons that could explain it, here are a few possibilities: a threat to reveal something about him, some other threat, corporate pressure, a cash payoff, a promise that he could run for president.

I left a sickbed and waited in the cold for hours to ask Dole a question. I was not allowed into his speech to ask it. (I imagine it was because my question couldn’t be prescreened.) When he left his speech, he shuffled sideways towards his limousine while surrounded by media and signing autographs. I asked him twice to ask a question; both requests were ignored. My third request was answered arrogantly with, “Is it a real question?” I responded yes and proceeded. I don’t remember my exact words, but I mentioned the solid opposition of his constituents to GATT 94 and asked, “Do you represent your constituents, or are you marching to a different drummer?” He grunted, continued shuffling towards his limousine, then got in it, never answering my question. Most all the media present displayed broad grins as I shivered.

Shortly afterward, I spoke with two trusted friends who watched when Pres. Clinton and Dole announced Dole’s change of heart. Pres. Clinton spoke first. As they crossed on stage, my friends said that by watching Pres. Clinton’s mouth, it was clear that he told Dole, “Don’t f**k this up.”

Subsequently, when Dole published his book, I hoped it would reveal some inside workings of Congress and why he flip-flopped on GATT. I never read the book, but I didn’t have to because, if he had, such revelations would have been plastered throughout the media.

I am not convinced that Dole is a person who should be praised.  

• rick55 changed the title to This is about a good man who did much good.
1 minute ago, Imgreatagain said:

All I remember about this guy , was that he held a pen and referred to himself in the 3rd person. 

I don't recall that, but the impression that remains is that he was a good guy. I could be wrong though.

No sarcasm, no joke intended: I like the way he always had a pen with him.

1 hour ago, Scout said:

I am not convinced that Dole is a person who should be praised.  

Let me guess....you're going to go with the sexual predator who lied to Congress while under oath.

Clinton was a better president than Dole would have been.

The whole Monica Lewinsky thing was a setup by Luciana Goldberg to entrap Clinton. His affair with Monica has zero effect on the positive aspects of his presidency. He avoided  serious wars and he promoted prosperity for the middle class far better than Dole or any Republican could or would have done.

41 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

Clinton was a better president than Dole would have been.

The whole Monica Lewinsky thing was a setup by Luciana Goldberg to entrap Clinton. His affair with Monica has zero effect on the positive aspects of his presidency. He avoided  serious wars and he promoted prosperity for the middle class far better than Dole or any Republican could or would have done.

Why was ok for Clinton to have proven affairs-  but trump was accused of grabbing women.. trump was ran over the coals. 
the hypocrisy from the left never ends 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Imgreatagain said:

Why was ok for Clinton to have proven affairs-  but trump was accused of grabbing women.. trump was ran over the coals. 
the hypocrisy from the left never ends 

I've coined a new word for the left. The left are professional hypocriteurs.

4 hours ago, Old Mack said:

No sarcasm, no joke intended: I like the way he always had a pen with him.

Let me guess....you're going to go with the sexual predator who lied to Congress while under oath.

Your guess proves you wrong yet again.  Don't you get tired of never being right?

1 hour ago, Scout said:

Your guess proves you wrong yet again.  Don't you get tired of never being right?

I am confused...are you saying you do or don't think the sexual predator who lied to Congress while under oath was a great president ?