The CMP Announces the Expert Grade M1 Garand - $1,000 delivered.

Blue Devil

(SERVICE GRADE W/ NEW BARREL & NEW STOCK)

EXPERT .30-06 and .308 GRADE RIFLES will feature a NEW,

Commercial-Production Stock Set and a NEW Commercial-Production barrel

chambered for either .30-06 Springfield or .308 Winchester.

Bore condition will be “as new”, and barrels will gauge “as new”. 
The balance of parts on EXPERT Grade Rifles will match all service grade criteria,

showing less wear and a better cosmetic appearance than a Field or Rack Grade.

Cosmetic condition will be good to very good.

Rifle finish may vary, exhibiting normal wear and/or color variation among the metal parts.

May have some visible pitting, frosting, or other minor cosmetic deformity on the metal parts.

1219151457d.jpg

On 11/20/2021 at 11:29 AM, Blue Devil said:

(SERVICE GRADE W/ NEW BARREL & NEW STOCK)

EXPERT .30-06 and .308 GRADE RIFLES will feature a NEW,

Commercial-Production Stock Set and a NEW Commercial-Production barrel

chambered for either .30-06 Springfield or .308 Winchester.

Bore condition will be “as new”, and barrels will gauge “as new”. 
The balance of parts on EXPERT Grade Rifles will match all service grade criteria,

showing less wear and a better cosmetic appearance than a Field or Rack Grade.

Cosmetic condition will be good to very good.

Rifle finish may vary, exhibiting normal wear and/or color variation among the metal parts.

May have some visible pitting, frosting, or other minor cosmetic deformity on the metal parts.

1219151457d.jpg

Nice upgrades!!  New barrel installed value = $300; new stock fitted to the rifle - another $200 value at least.

41 minutes ago, Skans said:

Nice upgrades!!  New barrel installed value = $300; new stock fitted to the rifle - another $200 value at least.

The stock is probably a wash, as they are raw and generally need some fitting work done as well.

But in these post "Greek Return" days... the new Bbl., generality a Criterion made by Krieger, is well worth it.

2 hours ago, Blue Devil said:

The stock is probably a wash, as they are raw and generally need some fitting work done as well.

Looks like a decent grade of walnut.  I'd like to do my own finishing work on a nice piece of walnut. 

2 hours ago, Blue Devil said:

But in these post "Greek Return" days... the new Bbl., generality a Criterion made by Krieger, is well worth it.

My only concern is pitted parts and receivers.  That would bug the crap out of me!

17 minutes ago, Skans said:

Looks like a decent grade of walnut.  I'd like to do my own finishing work on a nice piece of walnut. 

My only concern is pitted parts and receivers.  That would bug the crap out of me!

Generally, heavily pitted receivers, mostly below the wood, are advertised and sold as such.

Service Grades - are generally good to go.

And the grade of walnut is new growth... but generally nice.

Bein' Mail-Order "luck-of-the-draw" - the thing to do is buy 2-3, and then keep, or Frankenstein, a really nice one, and then sell the others off, at cost+, to the expedient of unqualified.

Was givin' Christmas gifts that way during the "Greek Returns," as all were nice, and 1:3 were SWEET!

WP_20180617_12_11_19_Pro.1-crop.jpg

WP_20180617_12_21_47_Pro.1-crop.jpg

7 minutes ago, Blue Devil said:

Generally, heavily pitted receivers, mostly below the wood, are advertised and sold as such.

Service Grades - are generally good to go.

And the grade of walnut is new growth... but generally nice.

Bein' Mail-Order "luck-of-the-draw" - the thing to do is buy 2-3, and then keep, or Frankenstein, a really nice one, and then sell the others off, at cost+, to the expedient of unqualified.

Was givin' Christmas gifts that way during the "Greek Returns," as all were nice, and 1:3 were SWEET!

Is that photo of the Garand in a case on the tile floor showcasing one of the new stocks?  It has nice grain - I could make that stock look and feel sweet, but keep it to a satin sheen.

5 hours ago, Skans said:

Is that photo of the Garand in a case on the tile floor showcasing one of the new stocks?  It has nice grain - I could make that stock look and feel sweet, but keep it to a satin sheen.

Yeah, that's a CMP walnut stock.

So is this...

wm_7409830.jpg

They will generally just have the more open "new growth" grain is'all.

Still nice.

12 hours ago, Blue Devil said:

Yeah, that's a CMP walnut stock.

So is this...

wm_7409830.jpg

They will generally just have the more open "new growth" grain is'all.

Still nice.

Makes for a pretty pattern in the walnut. I'd like to see what some progressive 400 to 2000 grit would do for it with 5 coats of thinly applied satin oil finish.

1 hour ago, Skans said:

Makes for a pretty pattern in the walnut. I'd like to see what some progressive 400 to 2000 grit would do for it with 5 coats of thinly applied satin oil finish.

More CMP stock sets...

4lo0yxpyzcp31.jpg?width=6000&format=pjpg

Bein' a traditionalist - favor light sanding followed by multiple coats of Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO).

CMP_garand_BLO.jpg

...or the raw stuff (flax seed oil) if you have the patience.

A little fiebings dark brown alcohol based leather dye also helps w/ the aged polymerized color tone.

P9155040.jpg?psid=1

P9155039.jpg?psid=1

39 minutes ago, Blue Devil said:

More CMP stock sets...

4lo0yxpyzcp31.jpg?width=6000&format=pjpg

Bein' a traditionalist - favor light sanding followed by multiple coats of Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO).

CMP_garand_BLO.jpg

...or the raw stuff (flax seed oil) if you have the patience.

A little fiebings dark brown alcohol based leather dye also helps w/ the aged polymerized color tone.

P9155040.jpg?psid=1

P9155039.jpg?psid=1

Nice way to get that old Garand look! 

17 minutes ago, Skans said:

Nice way to get that old Garand look! 

Yeah.

Not perfect... but then, who has a decade to wait.

8>)

If you apply BLO and then put it out in a HOT Summer sun to dry?

It will percolate into the wood and polymerize as well.

Had a bad grind mark into raw wood on the starboard side of this butt stock at the plate, big as the palm of my hand.

Sanded it out and then Sun coated it a coupla times w/ BLO.

WP_20180617_12_11_19_Pro.1-crop.jpg

Can hardly tell.

Coupla more coats, and it will probably be gone entirely.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2021 at 4:11 PM, Blue Devil said:

This would be a nice Christmas gift for a shooter.

The receiver on the one in your photo looks very clean - I couldn't see any pits.  I've come close to buying a Garand several times, as well as an M14s several times.  Never could pull the trigger on either, though. 

3 hours ago, Skans said:

The receiver on the one in your photo looks very clean - I couldn't see any pits.  I've come close to buying a Garand several times, as well as an M14s several times.  Never could pull the trigger on either, though. 

Well...

For a Liberty Rifle - hard to beat the $750 CMP Service Grade (when in stock).

They are still very nice and the bores are good to near-new.

For a high round count shooter, especially if you are goin' to shoot competitively?

This new Expert Grade looks like the ticket, especially if you desire a .308 chambering.

Mine are all Service Grades, w/ all bores, save one, that spec < 1.0 ME and < 2.0 TE.

That's maybe 8 to 10 Thousand rounds of good precision left.

The worst is ole "Betty Boop,"  a SA 6-Digit w/ a '44 SA Bbl. that specs 2 ME/3 TE.

A BT-DT Rifle:

Picture_034_1024.jpg

Picture_014_1024.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2021 at 1:48 PM, Blue Devil said:

@Skans

An actual CMP Expert Grade M1 Rifle in the Wild...

RzvMPvR.jpeg

77qUFyF.jpeg

bc4Qu4x.jpeg

Jl7dCbg.jpeg

uXvEQP0.jpeg

DZ75phH.jpeg

The metal looks really good on that one.

Hey, do you know if there are any numbers-matching Garands.  I've never seen one - just wanted to know if there is such a thing, regardless of price.

On 12/8/2021 at 11:37 AM, Blue Devil said:

Well...

For a Liberty Rifle - hard to beat the $750 CMP Service Grade (when in stock).

They are still very nice and the bores are good to near-new.

For a high round count shooter, especially if you are goin' to shoot competitively?

This new Expert Grade looks like the ticket, especially if you desire a .308 chambering.

Mine are all Service Grades, w/ all bores, save one, that spec < 1.0 ME and < 2.0 TE.

That's maybe 8 to 10 Thousand rounds of good precision left.

The worst is ole "Betty Boop,"  a SA 6-Digit w/ a '44 SA Bbl. that specs 2 ME/3 TE.

A BT-DT Rifle:

Picture_034_1024.jpg

Picture_014_1024.jpg

That barrel should be re-crowned

9 hours ago, Skans said:

The metal looks really good on that one.

Hey, do you know if there are any numbers-matching Garands.  I've never seen one - just wanted to know if there is such a thing, regardless of price.

There are eras/drawings/heat lots/etc., but Bbl. stamp date and receiver S/N date are about all that can really match.

And it was common practice for both in-garrison maintenance and arsenal rebuilds to clean a/o spec parts in groups, and then grab-bag assemble rifles.

14 hours ago, Blue Devil said:

There are eras/drawings/heat lots/etc., but Bbl. stamp date and receiver S/N date are about all that can really match.

And it was common practice for both in-garrison maintenance and arsenal rebuilds to clean a/o spec parts in groups, and then grab-bag assemble rifles.

I know.  That makes it all that much more intriguing to me to find an all numbers matching Garand.  Let me check gunbroker to see if there is on on there.  I've checked before, but nothing........

4 hours ago, Skans said:

From what I can tell, maybe authenticated Garand snipers are all original - not rebuilds. Shit, there's a lot to learn about Garands, from a collector's perspective.

Used to be the CMP had "Correct Grade" M1 Rifles - where an effort was made to either keep, or match up, parts for a particular S/N date.

Look for those as they will be the closest, and maybe actual.

But the beauty of the M1 Rifle is... it doesn't care.

Parts is parts.

Have milled trigger groups on all my M1 Rifles, old and new(er), because I like them and was able to have things work out that way.

But I'm not a collector per say, just an acquirer.

All Springfield as well.

But that's just me.

• 1 month later...

Well...

This new Expert Grade appears to be all that will be available from the CMP going forward, barring a new source of returns.

Still, a lot of rifle for the money, built up by expert M1 Rifle armorers and backed by the CMP.