Bullet weights. Heavy and slower or light and faster?

Squatchman

What do you think?

Personally in the end it's always about shot placement but what do you prefer to hit when the shot is placed where it should be?

Me,I'm in the faster lighter group.

Kind of.

I have self defense rounds for 9mm in the 3 widely used weights. 115gr.,124gr. and 147gr. I find that I like the 115 Winchester Silvertips and 124 grain Federal HST LE +p bullets that travel at supersonic speeds.

I've shot too many small animals with CCI stingers and seen the results of a light fast bullet when it meets flesh. Devastating actually when it exits.

As for the 10mm which comes in weights as light as 155gr. up to 220gr on the heavy end I opt for the 200gr. JHP Federal Personal Defense rounds. For people that is. 1200 fps and 16 to 18 inches of penetration. They may still go through someone but there won't be enough energy left to go much further.

It's the nature of that beast.

For woods carry.Where I could meet a black bear or hopefully a Sasquatch someday I have the Buffalo Bore +p+ hard cast lead heavy game rounds. 32+ inches of penetration! Their gel blocks must only be 32 inches long.

21 hours ago, Squatchman said:

What do you think?

Personally in the end it's always about shot placement but what do you prefer to hit when the shot is placed where it should be?

Kind of.

I have self defense rounds for 9mm in the 3 widely used weights. 115gr.,124gr. and 147gr. I find that I like the 115 Winchester Silvertips and 124 grain Federal HST LE +p bullets that travel at supersonic speeds.

I've shot too many small animals with CCI stingers and seen the results of a light fast bullet when it meets flesh. Devastating actually when it exits.

As for the 10mm which comes in weights as light as 155gr. up to 220gr on the heavy end I opt for the 200gr. JHP Federal Personal Defense rounds. For people that is. 1200 fps and 16 to 18 inches of penetration. They may still go through someone but there won't be enough energy left to go much further.

For woods carry.Where I could meet a black bear or hopefully a Sasquatch someday I have the Buffalo Bore +p+ hard cast lead heavy game rounds. 32+ inches of penetration! Their gel blocks must only be 32 inches long.

For almost everything, and especially HD/SD/social work... it's heavy for caliber.

- 147 gr. 9mm Para.

- 158 gr. .357 mag.

- 180 gr. .40.

- 230 gr. .45 ACP.

Heavy, subsonic rounds are more reliable in both expansion and penetration.

And, because of the lower muzzle energy/blast, are easier to shoot from lightweight carry pistols.

Subsonic, sans ear-protection, in the confined spaces of most SD fights, is also a plus.

In fact, except for the .30-06 for the M1 Rifle and the 5.56mm NATO for the Mini-14... everything else is heavy for caliber.

• Thumb up 1

On 10/16/2021 at 11:25 PM, Squatchman said:

What do you think?

Kind of.

Faster, lighter.  I think in today's personal defense, we need to be concerned with home invaders and rioters wearing body armor.  10mm solid copper rounds are perfect for this.  While I much prefer 9mm to 10mm, I think 10mm is the optimal self-defense round for today's needs.  10mm is louder and takes more time to get that muzzle back on target after firing a round.  Practice can help improve the latter. 

• Thumb up 1

34 minutes ago, Skans said:

Faster, lighter.  I think in today's personal defense, we need to be concerned with home invaders and rioters wearing body armor.  10mm solid copper rounds are perfect for this.  While I much prefer 9mm to 10mm, I think 10mm is the optimal self-defense round for today's needs.  10mm is louder and takes more time to get that muzzle back on target after firing a round.  Practice can help improve the latter. 

I imagine getting hit by a 10mm that didn't make it through the armor would ruin ones day.

Just now, Squatchman said:

I read about those just last night looking at bear ammo.

Like 32+ inches of penetration.

Yeah they'll make it through.

I actually posted the wrong photo.  I don't know about these heavier rounds.  See new photo of Lehigh/Underwood 10mm 100 grain solid copper above. Very fast; and will penetrate body armor. 

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Blue Devil said:

This is my advocacy:

Classic Clint Smith.

Crotch shots are a good idea.  Most people tend to aim too high in high stress situations.  Might as well aim for the crotch.  If you are lucky, you'll hit what you aimed at.  If you flinched, you should hit the heart.

11 minutes ago, Skans said:

Crotch shots are a good idea.  Most people tend to aim too high in high stress situations.  Might as well aim for the crotch.  If you are lucky, you'll hit what you aimed at.  If you flinched, you should hit the heart.

Lot of blood vessels, mobility structure, and other important junk there.

Another reason to like heavy, subsonic, .45 ACP hollow points.

1 minute ago, Blue Devil said:

Lot of blood vessels, mobility structure, and other important junk there.

Another reason to like heavy, subsonic, .45 ACP hollow points.

Slow and heavy is great, unless you encounter body armor.   Here's a thought - load your magazines with both, and alternate.

3 minutes ago, Skans said:

Slow and heavy is great, unless you encounter body armor.   Here's a thought - load your magazines with both, and alternate.

Consider the Mozambique drill a reflex at this point... and have added the crotch as a primary alternate if the concern arises.

Defeating Body armor, in some places, is considered anti-LEO.

So I don't go there.

• Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, Squatchman said:

It would be one expensive mother fucker shoot but would sure be fun. 

While ammo prices are crazy at present...  anything that comes in 50/boxes is usually better than 20/box rifle ammo.

And just because it's a semi-auto, doesn't mean one has to run a lot of ammo through it.

My Mini-14, even w/ inexpensive, pre-Regime 5.56mm ammo, rarely sees more than 50 rounds on a range trip, and only a few in the field.

Liberty-lovin' America will put things back to right.

On 10/23/2021 at 9:25 AM, Blue Devil said:

Like it for field applications, for sure... like the heavy .357 mags.

A 10mm carbine, like a Mini-14, would be sweet.

A 10mm carbine would be sweet.  Kriss makes one.

I have the Hi-Point in 45acp and am well pleased.  I bought it new at an insane price point because it is Muddy Girl Cammo.

9mm knocks steel down, 45acp Lays steel down.  Heavy and just to Power Factor in most cases for me.