Guests feel free to register and post ×
WELCOME NEW MEMBERS AND GUESTS FEEL FREE TO REGISTER AND POST ×
WELCOME NEW MEMBERS AND GUESTS ×

Why is Jesus such a controversial subject of conversation?

1 hour ago, crazyhole said:

I never considered the possibility that a hurricane could hit a town that's 1500 miles away from the ocean, but I guess that's just my ignorance showing.    

Another type of storm may identify as a hurricane. In that case "wokeness" requires that we refer to it as a hurricane and treat it as a hurricane.

Teaching about Jesus in public schools is controversial. That is the only truly important controversy.

But of course, all we know about Jesus is from Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, and scholars have NO IDEA who these guys were.

The Gospels are all based on the same source, but they are not identical, and some contradict others.

What was Jesus' Mission? To bring the word of God to Mankind.

Who was Jesus?  He was said to be a Rabbi, and Rabbis were literate.

But... there is no "Gospel according to Jesus"

Why is that?

Believe it if you want, but I see no real evidence that there ever was such a person.

1 minute ago, XavierOnassis said:

Teaching about Jesus in public schools is controversial. That is the only truly important controversy.

But of course, all we know about Jesus is from Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, and scholars have NO IDEA who these guys were.

The Gospels are all based on the same source, but they are not identical, and some contradict others.

Why is that?

Believe it if you want, but I see no real evidence that there ever was such a person.

Cool diatribe bro.   Hope your man uterus doesn't burn up because of this global warming deal.   

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, crazyhole said:

But anyway, they told me that there is no proof that Jesus was real.

Jesus the historical figure was as real as Sleepy Joe foot in his mouth and than Permit Patty spinning it. 

Whether he was divide...is debatable.

12 hours ago, XavierOnassis said:

What, no love for Apostle Saul?

12 hours ago, XavierOnassis said:

Why is that?

I am skeptical of your claim that Jesus was illiterate - that doesn't make much sense to me.  But, you ask an interesting question, one for which I have no answer - why is there no Gospel of Jesus?

14 hours ago, XavierOnassis said:

Why is that?

Pagan chop zone theory.

Self generating from a rock soup with with the power of all creation right there in the cell/cells of your own person/persons and continuing on to somehow become an incredibly complicated situation of male and female in order to reproduce. Your cell/cells then start changing from a water breathing animal into an air breathing land animal with zero third party assistance and continue to change from animal to animal, then In 2021 you become completely powerless can not get through a day without getting special medical assistance help.

14 hours ago, crazyhole said:

Cool diatribe bro.   Hope your man uterus doesn't burn up because of this global warming deal.   

I fail to see any connection whatever between Global Climate Change and the actual existence of Jesus.

The Messiah mentioned in the Old Testament was clearly NOT fathered by God, but a remake of the Legend of King David.

There is zero evidence that there was a town or village named Nazareth at the time of Jesus' lifespan.

What is called Nazareth today does not fit the description given in the Bible/.

And again, why is there no "Gospel according to Jesus"?

Of course, there might have been a person named Jesus (actually  Yeshua), but the events and miracles attributed to him are but second and third hand reports.

The Old Testament clearly states that the Messiah would be named Emmanuel, NOT Jesus.

Should we assume that the Real Yeshua never got around to reading the part giving his name?

And of course, there are dozens or more legends of  miracle-working sons of mortal men and deities.

Of course, everyone has the right to believe whatever they wish.

We know that beliefs ingrained in children at a time before they are capable of reason tend to be irrefutable by any amount of logic.

I am not opposed to Christianity. it has done a lot of evil, but also a lot of good. I do my banking in a CU established by a religious organization. I sent my daughter to Israel for a semester abroad. She said it was the best thing I ever did for her. She was the only Gentile in that program that year.

Whether or not Jesus existed is beside the point.

The gospels lay out a moral compass the logic of which cannot be denied.

It is sad that most of the self-professed Christians in America are Christian hypocrites who do not follow the teachings of Jesus

10 hours ago, Old Mack said:

Jesus the historical figure was as real as Sleepy Joe foot in his mouth and than Permit Patty spinning it. 

Whether he was divide...is debatable.

Jesus the legendary figure is as real as you say.

Jesus is only minimally historical. There is nothing about him except what is in the NT that is not questionable, andf there is not much of that.

1 hour ago, XavierOnassis said:

Of course, there might have been a person named Jesus (actually  Yeshua), but the events and miracles attributed to him are but second and third hand reports.

There is evidence of Jesus as documented by the Romans:

"The Jewish Antiquities were written by Flavius Josephus, a Jewish historian, during the thirteenth year of Roman emperor Flavius Domitian around A.D. 93/94. Providing an eye-witness account of the history of the Jewish people, Josephus documents the lengthy events of the Hebrew Bible consisting of the beginning of Adam and Eve, up to the Jewish War. These texts provide valuable information to historians to better understand the early Christian-Judaism period. Within these texts Jesus is referred to twice. In the first instance, Jesus is mentioned in the period in which the Jews of Judea were governed by the Roman procurator Pontius Pilate: "About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man.  For he was one who performed surprising deeds and was a teacher of such people as accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews and many of the Greeks. He was the Messiah. And when, upon the accusation of the principal men among us, Pilate had condemned him to a cross, those who had  first come to love him did not cease.  He appeared to them spending a third day restored to life, for the prophets of God had foretold these things and a thousand other marvels about him.  And the tribe of the Christians, so called after him, has still to this day not disappeared." (Antiquities, Book 18).

I believe there are some other Roman accounts as well.

1 hour ago, XavierOnassis said:

The Old Testament clearly states that the Messiah would be named Emmanuel, NOT Jesus.

Should we assume that the Real Yeshua never got around to reading the part giving his name?

There are a number of inconsistencies between the Old Testament and New Testament.  None of which means that Jesus did not exist.   As for those inconsistencies, I choose to leave those debates to those who are far more versed in scripture than I am.

3 hours ago, Skans said:

I am skeptical of your claim that Jesus was illiterate - that doesn't make much sense to me.  But, you ask an interesting question, one for which I have no answer - why is there no Gospel of Jesus?

If Jesus was actually a Rabbi, then we can assume that he was not illiterate. But the Bible does not claim that he was literate. It only says that one or more of his followers CALLED him illiterate.

I did not claim that Jesus was illiterate, I claimed only that Mary and Joseph were unaware that the Messiah was to be named Emmanuel, and named him Yeshua instead.

Jesus did not say that he was the messiah, He only said that others had said that.

Jesus said that God knew the day and hour or his return, but that he did not.

He said that he would return before the death of those assembled with him had occurred.

This appears to be inaccurate. Or perhaps there are one or more really really old prophets still alive.

By the way, there IS a "Gospel of Jesus Christ", by Jose Saramago, a Nobel prize winning novelist from Portugal.

https://www.amazon.com/Gospel-According-Jesus-Christ/dp/0156001411

Saramago was excommunicated and  lived in exile in the Canary Islands.

He has a unique style. This is a very interesting novel.

The funniest Jesus novel is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Lamb-Gospel-According-Christs-Childhood/dp/0380813815

If Jesus was actually a Rabbi, then we can assume that he was not illiterate.

Which is my basis for claiming he was literate. 

But the Bible does not claim that he was literate. It only says that one or more of his followers CALLED him illiterate.

I did not claim that Jesus was illiterate, I claimed only that Mary and Joseph were unaware that the Messiah was to be named Emmanuel, and named him Yeshua instead.

Yes, that is just one inconsistency.  There are others, I am aware of that .

Jesus did not say that he was the messiah, He only said that others had said that.

Jesus said that God knew the day and hour or his return, but that he did not.

He said that he would return before the death of those assembled with him had occurred.

This appears to be inaccurate. Or perhaps there are one or more really really old prophets still alive.

By the way, there IS a "Gospel of Jesus Christ", by Jose Saramago, a Nobel prize winning novelist from Portugal.

Interesting - I'm going to have to check that out.  I'm not sure how this is possible, though.  No Gospel was written contemporaneously with Jesus' life.  Should be an interesting read.

https://www.amazon.com/Gospel-According-Jesus-Christ/dp/0156001411

Saramago was excommunicated and  lived in exile in the Canary Islands.

He has a unique style. This is a very interesting novel.

The funniest Jesus novel is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Lamb-Gospel-According-Christs-Childhood/dp/0380813815

4 hours ago, Skans said:

If Cheezus is omniscient, how come he didn't foresee all the misinterpretations of the Biblical writing?

Same question to his Father, and his friend, the Mr. Holigost.  

12 minutes ago, Scout said:

If Cheezus is omniscient, how come he didn't foresee all the misinterpretations of the Biblical writing?

First of all, Jesus didn't write the New Testament.  Just some ordinary humans who didn't even know Jesus wrote it.  I'm sure they made some mistakes, and it may all be part of God's plan.  Or, it may just be free will playing out our destinies.  I don't know.   I find it interesting, however, that people like you and Zaro fear writing Jesus' name.  Do you think you will be absolved for your blasphemy after you die by doing this?  Just curious as to your reasoning behind this.

12 minutes ago, Scout said:

I don't speak for God. Perhaps you should read the Bible, go to Church and pray on this some to find the answers you are searching for.

19 minutes ago, Scout said:

It is my considered opinion that the future is unknowable by anyone, ,including any creator or other  deity.

Theologians refute this because then they would have to admit that God is omniscient.