Guests feel free to register and post ×
WELCOME NEW MEMBERS AND GUESTS FEEL FREE TO REGISTER AND POST ×
WELCOME NEW MEMBERS AND GUESTS ×

Philosophical Health Test

2 minutes ago, Toldya said:

Ridiculous. 

There is absolutely no way for anyone to truly know if whatever they're seeing or feeling or hearing is God. 

Depends on your concept of God.

17 minutes ago, Toldya said:

LOL... I knew you would blame the test.

LOL - that's because you could tell the test was biased and poorly constructed, just as I could.

Just like you blame reality for being biased against you. 

That's a lie - I've never blamed reality for anything.  If you believe otherwise, then link to where I have done so.  If you fail to link to where I have blamed reality for anything, then your point fails.

The difference is that atheists don't believe God doesn't exist because there is evidence He doesn't exist, they believe He doesn't exist because there is NO evidence that He DOES exist.

Those who take the position that they question the existence of God because they have not seen any evidence of God are Agnostics.  Atheists proclaim that there is no God in absolutist terms.  Yet, Atheists cannot prove their claim, therefore a degree of faith is required by the Atheist to come to such a conclusion.

Christians have FAITH in God without evidence of His existence... because evidence isn't necessary.

There, you just jumped the shark.   I am not professing to claim what Christians believe.   I am addressing what I, individually and independently of any religion I may be a part of believe, based on testimonial evidence.  Evidence, not proof by any stretch.  Yet, I acknowledge that I have no proof of God's existence, only evidence.  Likewise, Atheists have no proof that God does not exist, only evidence.   Therefore, both Believers and Atheists engage in leaps of faith as to their absolutist beliefs.    The difference is I acknowledge that I must have a degree of faith to believe in God.  Atheists deny they have any faith in his non-existence but still say such things in absolutist terms.

You're using the argument from ignorance fallacy to try to explain why the test is wrong... it doesn't work.

No, what I did was quite simply show how the author of the test used "evidence" in one question and the term "proof (or prove)" in another, attempting to equate both questions to create false dissonance.

14 minutes ago, ClownCrusher said:

There is evidence of God's existence.  

Have you heard, seen, smelled, touched or tasted God?

If not you have no empirical evidence.

If you refuse to take the test, then you really cannot comment about the test.

23 minutes ago, Toldya said:

Ridiculous. 

Not ridiculous.  Evidence, that's all.

23 minutes ago, Toldya said:

There is absolutely no way for anyone to truly know if whatever they're seeing or feeling or hearing is God. 

I don't disagree with that.  That's why I said I consider this evidence, not proof.  I have been telling you all along that the two things are different.  This is the problem I had with the test - the test uses the terms interchangeably to create false dissonance. 

You may evaluate that evidence as weak, not convincing, or as attributable to something other than God.  That is simply an evaluation of what is presented and your individual conclusion.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Skans said:

Likewise, Atheists have no proof that God does not exist, only evidence.  

There is no valid evidence that God exists, and that is why atheists do not believe. It has nothing to do with having evidence that God does not exist. 

Absence of belief is not a belief. Agnostics don't have an absence of  belief. 

Just now, Toldya said:

There is no valid evidence that God exists, and that is why atheists do not believe.

It's irrelevant what Atheists believe or do not believe.  We are discussing a fundamental problem which I have exposed with your linked test. 

Just now, Toldya said:

It has nothing to do with having evidence that God does not exist. 

Doesn't matter.

Just now, Toldya said:

Absence of belief is not a belief. Agnostics don't have an absence of  belief. 

Also, doesn't matter.

23 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

Have you heard, seen, smelled, touched or tasted God?

If not you have no empirical evidence.

If you refuse to take the test, then you really cannot comment about the test.

The existence of God is not the issue.  The validity of the test is.  That you have taken the test and cannot see where it's faults lie is evidence of your inability to think critically!

18 minutes ago, Skans said:

I don't disagree with that.  That's why I said I consider this evidence, not proof.  

How can you even have evidence of the existence of a thing that you are incapable of ever understanding?

You can't. 

8 minutes ago, Toldya said:

How can you even have evidence of the existence of a thing that you are incapable of ever understanding?

You can't. 

Eye witness testimony.  That is evidence.  There have been many independent accounts of near-death experiences describing discussions with God, sometimes Jesus and sometimes Angels, accounts which I find genuine (as in the person recounting the experience truly believes it happened) and somewhat similar.  Based upon this, this is at least evidence to be considered.  You may consider that evidence and conclude "hog wash".   Like I've said, it's not proof of anything, just some evidence.  But, to turn a blind eye to this, refusing to even listen to some of these accounts, is an indication that Atheists have dogmatic beliefs on this subject, beliefs which they cannot prove either.