Guests feel free to register and post ×
WELCOME NEW MEMBERS AND GUESTS FEEL FREE TO REGISTER AND POST ×
WELCOME NEW MEMBERS AND GUESTS ×
guests can now post ×
welcome guests . feel free to test the waters. ×

@Slideman for YOUR eyes only. DO NOT let me catch anyone else in this here thread.

1 hour ago, crazyhole said:

His list was good, but he missed Pudding Time and Schism.  

Again, it's all subjective...

Inside looking out by Grand Funk Railroad is one of my favs.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, crazyhole said:

Uh, that wasn't Enter Sandman.  That was Master of Puppets 

That's what I break out when I'm checking out guitars in music stores. 

Master will draw a crowd.

And at 210 beats per minute shows you aren't just fucking around.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Squatchman said:

That's what I break out when I'm checking out guitars in music stores. 

Master will draw a crowd.

And at 210 beats per minute shows you aren't just fucking around.

That one and Creeping Death are the only 2 that I could never keep up with for the entire song.    

12 hours ago, impartialobserver said:

Back when I played guitar, my crowning achievement was playing Spoonman by Soundgarden. However, I do not play any longer. It hurts my hand. Still, I have mad respect for those who can play and do so without losing track of things. 

No doubt. I can write lyrics and poetry but that’s as far as it goes. 

13 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

There is a unique quality to individuals who can create their own original guitar riffs and music. I have tried and it always sounds so simplistic and boring. 

Sometimes the simplest riffs become immortal

Satisfaction

1 minute ago, slideman said:

Sometimes the simplest riffs become immortal

Satisfaction

I have always wondered if the issue is confidence and not over thinking it. In the past, tried to create my own and because I had others already in mind as a standard/template... my stuff always sounded amateur and boring. 

5 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

I have always wondered if the issue is confidence and not over thinking it. In the past, tried to create my own and because I had others already in mind as a standard/template... my stuff always sounded amateur and boring. 

Thelonious Monk said

The genius is the guy best at being himself

4 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

It makes things a heck of a lot easier if you lay down a simple key progression on a bass, then add the guitar.   It gives you a foundation to build off of.   I always felt that if I started with the guitar it was too easy to kind of lose focus. 

Cowboys From Hell is a great example of that in practice.  

Just now, crazyhole said:

It makes things a heck of a lot easier if you lay down a simple key progression on a bass, then add the guitar.   It gives you a foundation to build off of.   I always felt that if I started with the guitar it was too easy to kind of lose focus. 

Cowboys From Hell is a great example of that in practice.  

Interesting. My gold standard or moment that I knew that I had arrived is if I could play Cemetery Gates by Pantera, Disposable Heroes by Metallica, or Rusty Cage by Soundgarden. Set the bar a bit too high it seems. 

5 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

Interesting. My gold standard or moment that I knew that I had arrived is if I could play Cemetery Gates by Pantera, Disposable Heroes by Metallica, or Rusty Cage by Soundgarden. Set the bar a bit too high it seems. 

But the artists you attempted to emulate were not emulating anyone else.

The genius is the guy who is best at being himself.

9 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

Disposable heroes takes an unreal amount of stamina.    That's a high bar for anyone. 

At work, we are always using someone else's methods, charts, code and then retro-fitting it for our state. The thought process is that it is easier and more efficient to not reinvent the wheel. Seems like that thinking goes into some folks (like myself) trying to learn guitar (or whatever instrument). 

12 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

At work, we are always using someone else's methods, charts, code and then retro-fitting it for our state. The thought process is that it is easier and more efficient to not reinvent the wheel. Seems like that thinking goes into some folks (like myself) trying to learn guitar (or whatever instrument). 

Mastery of an instrument requires a lot of practice.

Many people fall into bad habits early and reinforce the bad habits later on.

There is a lot of benefit to having a teacher in the early part of learning an instrument.

My own proficiency at fingerpicked right hand work is a result of having a teacher when I was 10 years old.

Some people have all the luck

14 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

The blues is an instructive example.

It is difficult to come up with anything that is really original in the straight jacket form that is a blues song.

Yet people manage to do it.

In addition one can do a cover song and be hugely creative in the process.

Witness Jimi's hey Joe

• Like 1