Guests feel free to register and post ×
WELCOME NEW MEMBERS AND GUESTS FEEL FREE TO REGISTER AND POST ×
WELCOME NEW MEMBERS AND GUESTS ×

Best guitarists of all time

18 hours ago, Whitemajikman said:
  •  

4. Yngwie Malmsteen (Yngwie Johan Malmsteen)

Top Guitar Virtuoso's of the World- guitarmetrics

Yngwie Malmsteen is the Only Neo-Classical Guitarist Listed here.
His Classical Influences combined with his Excellence in Guitar Techniques made him land in this list.
When you see Yngwie play, It's almost unreal to see how he plays at lightning speed with such precision and Ease!
His classic sound is influenced by his Classical roots.
Also, his string bend which resembles a Screaming Lady is his signature sound.
His signature guitar is a Fender strat Nicknamed 'The Duck'. He had worked with bands like Alcatrazz, Steeler, Hear n aid and G3.
You can Hear his precise Guitar technique in songs like Blackstar, Far beyond the sun, Arpeggios from hell, etc.
He was rated among the top 10 Electric Guitar Players of all time by Time Magazine.
Check out his live performance of Black star below.

https://guitarmetrics.com/blogs/top-guitar-virtuosos-in-the-world/top-guitar-virtuosos-in-the-world

Malmsteen would be my pick as well.  And, I think Satriani is up there too.  Both are kind of old now, but when they were in their prime, they were untouchable.

• Thumb up 1

On 9/19/2021 at 1:59 AM, crazyhole said:

@slideman

What do you think of this list.   In no particular order

Ry Cooder

Phil Keaggy 

Les Paul

Joe Satriani

Steve Vai

SRV

Eric Johnson

You forgot Andre Segovia the greatest classical guitarist in history.   Do you know that classical guitar is the most difficult instrument to master.  Segovia invented methods to play the classical guitar music as close as possible to classical piano.   Both hands have to play notes on the strings.  None of the bunch you mention there could do that like Segovia.   Dr.joeb has played classical piano imitating the classical guitar.   It is much easier to play with both hands doing the notes on a piano.   Dr.joeb has a friend from his doctoral study days who is a master of the classical guitar.   He use to watch Khalid Benabdallah practice in the graduate assistants area of the math department at wayne State University in the 1960s.   Khalid still does concerts and he uses his doctoral degree in mathematics to teach math.   One of the videos  in Facebook of Dr.joeb's features Khalid doing part of a concert.   

19 hours ago, Whitemajikman said:

Eddie performing "eruption" at the US festival made everybody notice him.....

YouTube · Andrew William Wright
12:21
Eddie Van Halen: ERUPTION Solo DESTROYS The '83 US Festival!
Jan. 3, 2018

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DRLsEvZgmRVA&ved=2ahUKEwipvrzx5YvzAhWRHjQIHY46CW4QwqsBegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw0e2zbtojpfvbaZeDU8Gwjx

Zowie! "Must be drugs."

1 minute ago, impartialobserver said:

Yngwie Malmstein, joe Satriani, Steve Vai.. technically amazing. However, as something that you put on while driving for 7 hours (or such... not quite. Would I pay $100 to watch Joe Satriani perform technically amazing guitar work but with no lyrics or interesting drumming? No

I saw Malmstein at a club once - yeah, he was worth seeing.  I find Satrian's music pleasing to listen to.  This is about the best guitarists, not the best musical compositions.  

Just now, Skans said:

I saw Malmstein at a club once - yeah, he was worth seeing.  I find Satrian's music pleasing to listen to.  This is about the best guitarists, not the best musical compositions.  

The best music (guitar, voice, bass, xylophone, whatever) is not about speed, precision, or any other measurable. The best guitarists or at least the ones most pleasing to listen to are not always going to be the fastest or most precise. 

Just now, impartialobserver said:

The best music (guitar, voice, bass, xylophone, whatever) is not about speed, precision, or any other measurable. The best guitarists or at least the ones most pleasing to listen to are not always going to be the fastest or most precise. 

Bingo

The craft of guitar playing involves more than dexterity

I somewhat disagree with that.  Guitar is not like the Violin.  Speed and precision have always been associated with guitarist prowess.  Sure, tone, playing musically - all good stuff, but take a bit of a back seat to speed and precision when it comes to guitar.  I would not say the same thing about violin or saxophone, which have much broader aspects to consider.

If speed and precision are your only metrics.. then we would have to nominate most of the guitar players in the death metal/black metal genre. 

Not true - many excellent jazz guitarists and even classical guitarists who can play quite fast.

2 minutes ago, Skans said:

I somewhat disagree with that.  Guitar is not like the Violin.  Speed and precision have always been associated with guitarist prowess.  Sure, tone, playing musically - all good stuff, but take a bit of a back seat to speed and precision when it comes to guitar.  I would not say the same thing about violin or saxophone, which have much broader aspects to consider.

Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, Gregg Allman.... considered to be some of the greatest guitar players in rock and roll history. Did they always play as fast as they could? 

Eddie Van Halen did - he just wasn't that fast.  I never cared for Gregg Allman and didn't listen to him very much.  Hendrix was good - he could play fast, he was innovative and played with soul.  So did Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Just like Hendrix took guitar to the next level during the Hippy era, Malmstein did the same during the metal era. No metal guitarist has ever come close to doing what Malmstein did when he was in his prime.

The thing is to be different. I like different. 

Eddie Van Halen did - he just wasn't that fast.  I never cared for Gregg Allman and didn't listen to him very much.  Hendrix was good - he could play fast, he was innovative and played with soul.  So did Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Just like Hendrix took guitar to the next level during the Hippy era, Malmstein did the same during the metal era. No metal guitarist has ever come close to doing what Malmstein did when he was in his prime.

"Could" play fast is the key. 

Neil Peart (Rush) could play fast but his talent/skill did not lie solely in playing X amount of beats per minute/second. Speed combined with less innate talents was the key to his success. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Joe B. said:

You forgot Andre Segovia the greatest classical guitarist in history.   Do you know that classical guitar is the most difficult instrument to master.  Segovia invented methods to play the classical guitar music as close as possible to classical piano.   Both hands have to play notes on the strings.  None of the bunch you mention there could do that like Segovia.   Dr.joeb has played classical piano imitating the classical guitar.   It is much easier to play with both hands doing the notes on a piano.   Dr.joeb has a friend from his doctoral study days who is a master of the classical guitar.   He use to watch Khalid Benabdallah practice in the graduate assistants area of the math department at wayne State University in the 1960s.   Khalid still does concerts and he uses his doctoral degree in mathematics to teach math.   One of the videos  in Facebook of Dr.joeb's features Khalid doing part of a concert.   

I am married to a classical player

It takes many years of study