"I am resigning from the pro-life movement."

lucifershammer
This post was recognized by lucifershammer!

"today's winner ūüŹÜ"

drvoke was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 10 points.

a large stone building with United States Supreme Court Building in the background

The Texas abortion ban is one of the worst travesties of justice that I have ever seen. And the disgusting SCOTUS decision ranks right up there with Citizens United and appointing George W. Bush POTUS. It's an effing disgrace.

Other Voices: I am resigning from the pro-life movement (msn.com)

( I encourage you to click the link and read the entire article))

From 1985-1990, I had the honor of serving as secretary of the National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty.

I was influenced by the purity of moral conscience I encountered among non-violent anti-abortion protesters I represented in the 1980s.

So, imagine my disillusionment over the viciousness and dishonesty of the Texas anti-abortion statute and the deceit of the five Supreme Court justices who allowed that statute to become law last week.

Conservative law professors have called the Texas law ‚Äúclever.‚ÄĚ But there is nothing clever about it. It is brutal and ridiculous.

Texas officials hoped their law would go into effect because, with private enforcement, there would be no state official to sue. That is what happened.

The law does not target abortion clinics or even doctors. It allows private citizens to sue anyone who performs or ‚Äúaids and abets‚ÄĚ an abortion. Plaintiffs recover legal fees and $10,000 if they win. Defendants get nothing if they win and must pay all legal costs themselves.

In other words, the law would bankrupt nurses and secretaries.

There will now be desperate women in Texas, deprived of access to abortion. Women will now opt for self-inflicted abortions.

Obviously, the enforcement mechanism is a sham. These ‚Äúprivate parties‚ÄĚ are just deputized agents of the state enforcing its policy.

And the enforcement mechanism violates due process in numerous ways. It is no defense that a court found the Texas law unconstitutional at the time the person provided aid, if that decision is later overturned. It is not even a defense that the Texas law unconstitutionally violates a woman’s right to an abortion.

Five justices allowed this monstrosity to go into effect through an unsigned order: Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett. Chief Justice John Roberts, dissenting, noted the ‚Äúunprecedented‚ÄĚ goal of the statute ‚Äúto insulate the State from responsibility for implementing and enforcing the regulatory regime.‚ÄĚ

The majority justices piously intoned that ‚Äúthis order is not based on any conclusion about the constitutionality of Texas‚Äôs law.‚ÄĚ But that is not true. The order was based purely on the majority‚Äôs hostility to Roe.

Just imagine that California pulled the same stunt to prohibit going to church and then allowed roving bands of atheists to enforce the statute against anyone who helped ‚ÄĒ these same five justices would stay that law in a heartbeat. Trump's SCOTUS appointees are ideologues and liars.

Pro-life activists say that the Texas subterfuge worked. Abortion clinics closed. The end justified the means.

That is the worst mistake of all. Abortion will never disappear until the American public, especially young people, decide that life begins at conception. You cannot accomplish that kind of moral conversion through bullying and lying.

If being pro-life requires turning a blind eye to this law, then I resign.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, drvoke said:

The Texas abortion ban is one of the worst travesties of justice that I have ever seen...

Really...?

How is taking innocent life... Justice?

The Law:

1. Allows Abortions.

2. Protects unborn children from Murder and Dismemberment, for Fun and Profit.

3. Sends Ass-douche Liberal Malcontents into Adolescent Tantrums.

What's your gripe?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zaro said:

Me too. A constitutional challenge

To what?

A woman's right to murder and dismember her unborn child, for fun and profit?

Where, exactly, is THAT in the Constitution?

• IDIOT! 1
  • Thumb up 1

Abortion is just another racket by which some folks (including politicians) make a bunch of money. I think the "pro-life movement" is pretty small if it even exists. I belong to the anti-abortion racket movement. I just don't want the government funneling my money to abortionists like planned parenthood or to insurance companies under the pretense that abortion is healthcare. Kill your fucking kids on your own nickel.

The very term "reproductive rights" is such a fucking con.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

23 minutes ago, Michaelf said:

Abortion is just another racket by which some folks (including politicians) make a bunch of money. I think the "pro-life movement" is pretty small if it even exists. I belong to the anti-abortion racket movement. I just don't want the government funneling my money to abortionists like planned parenthood or to insurance companies under the pretense that abortion is healthcare. Kill your fucking kids on your own nickel.

The very term "reproductive rights" is such a fucking con.

Why?  

Howe is it that a woman cannot OWN HER OWN BODY?

• Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

Why?  

Howe is it that a woman cannot OWN HER OWN BODY?

Because her baby... is NOT "her own body."

41eeaf99979940ec829b0e6bf26b98dd--respec

Does a woman own children that ride in her Automobile?

... or live in her house?

Human Life... is.

And both current Science and Law agree, that it starts, and stops, w/ Human Heartbeat.

9 hours ago, drvoke said:

a large stone building with United States Supreme Court Building in the background

The Texas abortion ban is one of the worst travesties of justice that I have ever seen. And the disgusting SCOTUS decision ranks right up there with Citizens United and appointing George W. Bush POTUS. It's an effing disgrace.

Other Voices: I am resigning from the pro-life movement (msn.com)

( I encourage you to click the link and read the entire article))

From 1985-1990, I had the honor of serving as secretary of the National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty.

I was influenced by the purity of moral conscience I encountered among non-violent anti-abortion protesters I represented in the 1980s.

So, imagine my disillusionment over the viciousness and dishonesty of the Texas anti-abortion statute and the deceit of the five Supreme Court justices who allowed that statute to become law last week.

Conservative law professors have called the Texas law ‚Äúclever.‚ÄĚ But there is nothing clever about it. It is brutal and ridiculous.

Texas officials hoped their law would go into effect because, with private enforcement, there would be no state official to sue. That is what happened.

The law does not target abortion clinics or even doctors. It allows private citizens to sue anyone who performs or ‚Äúaids and abets‚ÄĚ an abortion. Plaintiffs recover legal fees and $10,000 if they win. Defendants get nothing if they win and must pay all legal costs themselves.

In other words, the law would bankrupt nurses and secretaries.

There will now be desperate women in Texas, deprived of access to abortion. Women will now opt for self-inflicted abortions.

Obviously, the enforcement mechanism is a sham. These ‚Äúprivate parties‚ÄĚ are just deputized agents of the state enforcing its policy.

And the enforcement mechanism violates due process in numerous ways. It is no defense that a court found the Texas law unconstitutional at the time the person provided aid, if that decision is later overturned. It is not even a defense that the Texas law unconstitutionally violates a woman’s right to an abortion.

Five justices allowed this monstrosity to go into effect through an unsigned order: Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett. Chief Justice John Roberts, dissenting, noted the ‚Äúunprecedented‚ÄĚ goal of the statute ‚Äúto insulate the State from responsibility for implementing and enforcing the regulatory regime.‚ÄĚ

The majority justices piously intoned that ‚Äúthis order is not based on any conclusion about the constitutionality of Texas‚Äôs law.‚ÄĚ But that is not true. The order was based purely on the majority‚Äôs hostility to Roe.

Just imagine that California pulled the same stunt to prohibit going to church and then allowed roving bands of atheists to enforce the statute against anyone who helped ‚ÄĒ these same five justices would stay that law in a heartbeat. Trump's SCOTUS appointees are ideologues and liars.

Pro-life activists say that the Texas subterfuge worked. Abortion clinics closed. The end justified the means.

That is the worst mistake of all. Abortion will never disappear until the American public, especially young people, decide that life begins at conception. You cannot accomplish that kind of moral conversion through bullying and lying.

If being pro-life requires turning a blind eye to this law, then I resign.

You're an idiot.

How does it feel to be an idiot?

Yeah, and if you have a tapeworm, that is also not your body.

And the several million bacteria that make it possible for your body to live, they all are independent  entities that you have no right to control/

A fetus is an appendage of a woman's body as long as it is connected by an umbilical cord.

And these stupid, stupid forced birth laws will not affect any woman with the means to leave Texas for Colorado, Mexico or Canada and have as many abortions as she wishes.

I fully expect to see detailed YouTube videos  and such on self abortions.   You rightwing nutjobs will never succeed in doing anything other than making people miserable.

• MORON! 1
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, nuckin futz said:

How is it, fetuses have more rights than the woman?

2 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

Is it legal to murder and dismember women, for fun and profit...?

1 minute ago, XavierOnassis said:

And the several million bacteria that make it possible for your body to live, they all are independent  entities that you have no right to control/

A fetus is an appendage of a woman's body as long as it is connected by an umbilical cord.

And these stupid, stupid forced birth laws will not affect any woman with the means to leave Texas for Colorado, Mexico or Canada and have as many abortions as she wishes.

I fully expect to see detailed YouTube videos  and such on self abortions.   You rightwing nutjobs will never succeed in doing anything other than making people miserable.

That seems to be their lot in life! They are miserable creatures!

Just now, nuckin futz said:

Fetuses, Cletus!

That is an antiquated term, both Scientific and Legal.

Human Life - starts, and ends, w/ a Human Heartbeat.

Try to keep up.

4 minutes ago, Blue Devil said:

That is an antiquated term, both Scientific and Legal.

Human Life - starts, and ends, w/ a Human Heartbeat.

Try to keep up.

You don't have a human heartbeat, so let's abort you! LOL!

17 minutes ago, nuckin futz said:

How is it, fetuses have more rights than the woman?

No one is claiming that

Is punishing murderers giving more rights to their victims? No, but that's the fucked up "logic" you just used

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

Yeah, and what species is a tapeworm and what species is a fetus?

15 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

Congratulations, you just rationalized extracting a full term baby fully from the womb and killing it, as long as the cord is still connected

See how stupid your reasoning is? Normal people can

• Thumb up 1