Guests feel free to register and post ×
WELCOME NEW MEMBERS AND GUESTS FEEL FREE TO REGISTER AND POST ×
WELCOME NEW MEMBERS AND GUESTS ×
guests can now post ×
welcome guests . feel free to test the waters. ×

Crossbow Hunting

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 6:21 AM, bigmike1256 said:

Anyone here go hunting with a crossbow or reg vertical bow. The upcoming NY season for whitetails starts Oct 1

I got pretty good with my compound bow (Bowtech Diamond model from about 2008) and got invited to hunt with several of my friends on their lease land. I've only been bow hunting that one time. 

It rained all 4 days we were out there, and no one even saw any deer to shoot.  Sitting in that tree stand each day, getting rained on and mosquito-bit was torture.  The guys I was hunting with were fanatics about not wearing DEET repellent, so we had to use Thermacells.  I had never used one before, and quickly found out that the vapor made me cough.  So, it was either no mosquito protection or cough and piss everyone off.  I love shooting my bow, but hunting with that group just wasn't for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skans said:

I got pretty good with my compound bow (Bowtech Diamond model from about 2008) and got invited to hunt with several of my friends on their lease land. I've only been bow hunting that one time. 

It rained all 4 days we were out there, and no one even saw any deer to shoot.  Sitting in that tree stand each day, getting rained on and mosquito-bit was torture.  The guys I was hunting with were fanatics about not wearing DEET repellent, so we had to use Thermacells.  I had never used one before, and quickly found out that the vapor made me cough.  So, it was either no mosquito protection or cough and piss everyone off.  I love shooting my bow, but hunting with that group just wasn't for me.

I don’t have the upper body strength to pull one back. 

1 minute ago, Imgreatagain said:

I don’t have the upper body strength to pull one back. 

A couple of things about that.  You might not have the strength to use a 70lb (draw weight) compound bow.  This is what is typically used for hunting.  But, I would bet you could use a target bow with a draw weight of 30-40lbs.  My kid could shoot a compound bow with a draw weight of 20lbs at age 10.  Target bows are adjustable (most bows are actually), and you could work up to heavier draw weights.  But, you probably don't need more than 30lbs.

I love shooting a bow. Even more so than shooting a gun.  Target bows look a little different than hunting bows - notice the positioning of the limbs. 

Hoyt-Tribute-Target-Compound-Bow-side-Je

1 minute ago, Skans said:

A couple of things about that.  You might not have the strength to use a 70lb (draw weight) compound bow.  This is what is typically used for hunting.  But, I would bet you could use a target bow with a draw weight of 30-40lbs.  My kid could shoot a compound bow with a draw weight of 20lbs at age 10.  Target bows are adjustable (most bows are actually), and you could work up to heavier draw weights.  But, you probably don't need more than 30lbs.

I love shooting a bow. Even more so than shooting a gun.  Target bows look a little different than hunting bows - notice the positioning of the limbs. 

Hoyt-Tribute-Target-Compound-Bow-side-Je

I have a pinched nerve in my neck and was at the ER this weekend. I can’t even hold a pen right now 

1 hour ago, Imgreatagain said:

I have a pinched nerve in my neck and was at the ER this weekend. I can’t even hold a pen right now 

But you can type. The world has nothing to worry about. 

PS. I love your blog

I'd like to try bow hunting again, but in a cooler, drier location.  Some folks say that bow hunting is more fair than hunting with a rifle.   If you are using a recurve bow or long bow, I'd agree.  But, these modern crossbows that launch an arrow anywhere from 350 to over 400 fps, with incredible precision over 100 yards, that's a different story.  At one time I was incredibly accurate with my bow when using a good release. I routinely split arrows when shooting at a range. 

If I ever had a chance to get a shot off while hunting, I'm sure my accuracy would diminish a lot.

5 minutes ago, Imgreatagain said:

Yeah . It has not been good. 

Pinched nerve as in weakness and numbness in your affected arm and fingers?  I had that once after being in a bad accident.  I went to PT and they stuck me on their neck traction machine.  Three times a week for about 40 minutes each time.  I think it was on the 5th visit that I felt the "pop" and the pressure was off the nerve - just like the PT told me would happen.

Just now, Skans said:

Pinched nerve as in weakness and numbness in your affected arm and fingers?  I had that once after being in a bad accident.  I went to PT and they stuck me on their neck traction machine.  Three times a week for about 40 minutes.  I think it was on the 5th visit that I felt the "pop" and the pressure was off the nerve - just like the PT told me would happen.

Yeah numbness all the way down my arm. I went to the doctor yesterday he popped me pretty good. (Sounded like he stepped on a bag of potato chips!) also was on that machine for a while 

2 minutes ago, Imgreatagain said:

Yeah numbness all the way down my arm. I went to the doctor yesterday he popped me pretty good. (Sounded like he stepped on a bag of potato chips!) also was on that machine for a while 

I'm scared to death of Chiropractors.  I remember my PT telling me I just had to keep doing the traction machine, and eventually it would pop back into place.  I totally didn't believe him at the time, but he was dead-on right about it.  When it did, the pain went away.  My strength came back and most of the numbness went away too, but I did end up with some permanent numbness in two fingers and a thumb, but no weakness.

5 minutes ago, Skans said:

I'm scared to death of Chiropractors.  I remember my PT telling me I just had to keep doing the traction machine, and eventually it would pop back into place.  I totally didn't believe him at the time, but he was dead-on right about it.  When it did, the pain went away.  My strength came back and most of the numbness went away too, but I did end up with some permanent numbness in two fingers and a thumb, but no weakness.

My guy is a dude I knew from HS. The only Jew I’ve actually been friends with. He was/is very good. 
Im concerned about my recovery process due to my job requirements. 

1 minute ago, Imgreatagain said:

My guy is a dude I knew from HS. The only Jew I’ve actually been friends with. He was/is very good. 
Im concerned about my recovery process due to my job requirements. 

I really hope he gets you back to normal quickly!

1 hour ago, Imgreatagain said:

Oh good to know 

They are a relatively new species of fruit/vegetable that the human body has not had time to adapt.

Their calcium has a different structure that the body has trouble handling, usually manifesting itself as calcium outside the bones, instead of inside.

For many folks, me included, raw nightshades produce bone spurs, and joint deposits similar to arthritis.

By removing them from the diet, the body will dissolve the spurs and deposits, given proper circulation and range of motion exercises.

Also have some deep massage techniques that are very effective for stress related malidies.

... taught to my by a Tibetan monktress.

8>) 

@Imgreatagain

I have a Barrett Ranger. It was given to me a long time ago and needs a new string and maybe a bow as well.

It had a 150# pull(?) It doesn't have pulleys. I would rate it at 20 yards as being about the same as a .38.

After that, it loses everything pretty quickly. It dropped and slowed down pretty fast..

When I got it, it was illegal for me to hunt with it. I think it still is illegal to hunt deer with one here in Tx.

It was fun to shoot crap in the back yard.

I dunno. I always thought a crossbow would be perfect for brush hunting in the Big Thicket in East Texas.

They bow hunt.

22 hours ago, Blue Devil said:

@Imgreatagain

Tomatoes/bell peppers/etc...

Overall, there is no hard evidence that nightshade vegetables are bad for your health. Some preliminary research shows these vegetables may not be the best for people with certain inflammatory and auto-immune conditions like arthritis or inflammatory bowel disease. However, nightshades don't cause inflammation directly. They may increase inflammation that is already there.  https://www.webmd.com/diet/what-to-know-about-nightshade-vegetables#2

11 hours ago, DerangedResponse said:

I have a Barrett Ranger. It was given to me a long time ago and needs a new string and maybe a bow as well.

It had a 150# pull(?) It doesn't have pulleys. I would rate it at 20 yards as being about the same as a .38.

After that, it loses everything pretty quickly. It dropped and slowed down pretty fast..

When I got it, it was illegal for me to hunt with it. I think it still is illegal to hunt deer with one here in Tx.

It was fun to shoot crap in the back yard.

I dunno. I always thought a crossbow would be perfect for brush hunting in the Big Thicket in East Texas.

They bow hunt.

I think you mean "Barnett".  Barrett makes the 50 CAL semi-auto.  Barnett makes crossbows.