My God this is Sad

bigmike1256

Years ago this place was abuzz with intellectual conversation. Dozens of progressives posting replies. This forum has really been left to the handful of rightwingnut dregs in the NHB forum. Funny when I first came here and made my very first post I can remember being shocked when I was immediately attacked by rightwingding. And I thought to myself what on earth is he doing on a Liberal Forum. Well I guess they won. Or maybe all the open minded intelligent folk who left did. Where to go now. Been kick off FB too many times?

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 9/11/2021 at 12:11 PM, TheHeadLiberal said:

No, right-wingers didn't win. Far from it. Participation just needs to elevate that's all. Progressives are still very much around but they just need to be motivated enough to begin posting again. Any suggestions?

I don't have any. It's the Facebook effect with everything from liberal groups to anti Republican groups seems to be where everyone has flocked to. Seems the knuckle dragging low life conservative scum still hid out on private forums where they're amongst their own kind as they are in life. Conservative little rural towns in the woods. 

• 2 months later...

I haven't been here for a long while, over ten years, and may not even have posted back then. Some things are hazy in my memory.

Am I thinking of the right forum? Is this the one started by a liberal army guy (tanker?) who let a rightwinger called 'Veritas' be a mod to demonstrate a commitment to impartiality? 'Veritas' had come from a rightwing forum (the name of which escapes me) that practised 'invasions' of leftwing forums.

No, I've just been trawling through my old email notifications, and apparently, this was a forum started by Al Franken. about the time life was pulling me away from message boards, and towards domesticity. This may be my first post.

Good luck with the right. All you can do is be true to yourselves, and if it annoys anyone else, that's a bonus ;)

• 2 weeks later...
lucifershammer
This post was recognized by lucifershammer!

LoreD was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 10 points.

I would like to see a little more engagement on the Liberal Forums.

I have often fought the "good fight" on NHB with so called conservatives, but my issue is that these "forum warriors" seem to be the most sexually obsessed people that I have ever come in contact with.

I will post a fairly reasonable response to a political issue; and will be flooded with the most filthy sexual suggestions, that I don't even believe are anatomically possible.

This is true on both .net and .org

LF is a safe haven for political discussion.

Just speaking for myself, when I felt offensive/insulting posts in this room were allowed, I stopped posting, and have been posting elsewhere.

I've taken a look now and then and saw a lot of drama. I was never comfortable with apparently a far-right-wing owner. That's where it's been.

Sorry to see it has almost no activity apparently.

And sorry to see you run into such bad people, LoreD. I see no reason to go to a place like NHB. Idiots trolls and whatever similar.

• 3 weeks later...

Spirited conversation is what people seek.

Going to a safeplace kind of kills that or at least really dampers it.

In this age of "take offense and make sure everyone knows it", any comment can be reported it seems.

So, we end up with echo chambers of agreement.

A slippery slope no matter what.

I just want to say 2021 was by far the most profitable year my farm has ever had.   After Biden took over the Chinese began purchasing corn and soybeans for export and prices are more than double when we had under trump.   We don't want handouts, we want profits and we sure got that now.   I'm proud to be a die hard Democrat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 12/29/2021 at 4:05 PM, impartialobserver said:

Echo chambers get boring quilckly. 

One person says: X

Next person says: I agree

One person: Ok, so we agree. What's next.

..... and then it stalls out. 

This is a commonly voiced perception of the Liberals Only Room which is partly true.  It is just as true of NHB where many of the majority Conservative posts all say basically the same thing in criticism of the few Libs in that Room.

Where, by comparison, is there much disagreement (if any) by Right Wingers in NHB about Conservative ideology?  Answer:--  Almost none.  One might mistake polite debate and tolerance of differing ideas as disagreement.  Rarely does variance of opinion degenerate into a food fight in the LO Room.  If explosive bickering is the only kind of disagreement one recognizes, naturally they would not appreciate LO.

Here is the true essence of The Liberal's Only Room:

On 9/9/2021 at 6:40 PM, bigmike1256 said:

Years ago this place was abuzz with intellectual conversation. Dozens of progressives posting replies.

2 hours ago, bludog said:

This is a commonly voiced perception of the Liberals Only Room which is partly true.  It is just as true of NHB where many of the majority Conservative posts all say basically the same thing in criticism of the few Libs in that Room.

Where, by comparison, is there much disagreement (if any) by Right Wingers in NHB about Conservative ideology?  Answer:--  Almost none.  One might mistake polite debate and tolerance of differing ideas as disagreement.  Rarely does variance of opinion degenerate into a food fight in the LO Room.  If explosive bickering is the only kind of disagreement one recognizes, naturally they would not appreciate LO.

Here is the true essence of The Liberal's Only Room:

It isn't really an echo chamber.  Democrats, Liberals, and Progressives don't walk in lockstep together.  We have certain core values, but are capable of disagreement just like any other group.  We have an entire spectrum of interests and beliefs.  I voted for Obama even though I felt he was too moderate, and certainly disagreed with many of his actions.  I had been an Edward's supporter through multiple elections. 

We run the gamut from moderate to far left, and we do fight among ourselves.  I hear commentators talk about the difficulty of uniting the diverse coalition of the Left, so, No, we don't agree on everything