9mm Luger CCI Blazer 115 Grain FMJ Aluminum Case Ammo - $0.36/round.

Just now, Blue Devil said:

Shoot a coupla boxes every time I have the rifle at the range.

And its nice to practice w/ the same loads you will take into the field.

For blasting - the PPU 150 gr. for ~ $14/box is good, but wouldn't prefer to hunt w/it.

I have three 270 rifles and I generally put a hundred or so rounds through each one every year. Lately I have been hunting more with a very light 7-08 but the 270 is still excellent in my mind.

1 minute ago, FredH said:

You have to change the barrel dumbass and feeding out of 10mm magazines with the 40S&W can be less than optimal. No you cannot expect good results shooting 40 S&W out of a 10MM barrel.

Nope.

Look it up.

You most likely aren't familiar with glocks is all.

I can shoot .40 all day long in my 20. Done it.

Other lesser pistols might have problems though.

3 minutes ago, crazyhole said:

What the hell are you doing shooting several hundred rounds per year?  

Because missin'... sucks.

And, a bad hit on game is even worse.

Marksmanship - is a depreciative skill.

Practice... practice... practice...

6 minutes ago, FredH said:

I have three 270 rifles and I generally put a hundred or so rounds through each one every year. Lately I have been hunting more with a very light 7-08 but the 270 is still excellent in my mind.

7-08 - is an underrated field cartridge... except by those who use it.

Have had a Rem 700 BDL in .270 win as my prime hunting rifle since the 80's, and retired it for a Winchester M70 EW/SS chambered in the same cartridge not too long ago.

Big enough, light enough.

Does everythin' I ask of it.

Just now, crazyhole said:

Do you prefer the .270 over the 7mm?

If I am elk or mule deer hunting in Wyoming yes, if I am hunting where I usually (Oklahoma, Texas) do I take the 7-08 simply because it is a lighter rifle, I also use it as a backup rifle on the western hunts.

2 minutes ago, crazyhole said:

Do you prefer the .270 over the 7mm?

As posted, have always had a .270 Win.

What one will do, the other will do as well.

Just now, Blue Devil said:

7-08 - is an underrated field cartridge... except by those who use it.

Have had a Rem 700 BDL in .270 win as my prime hunting rifle since the 80's, and retired it for a Winchester M70 EW/SS chambered in the same cartridge not too long ago.

Big enough, light enough.

Does everythin' I ask of it.

I usually load 140 grain partitions to around 3000fps in my 270 rifles. Good for just about anything. My 7-08 is built on a Model 7 Remington action and is lighter by a couple pounds than any of the 270 rifles other than my TC Encore.

2 minutes ago, FredH said:

I usually load 140 grain partitions to around 3000fps in my 270 rifles. Good for just about anything. My 7-08 is built on a Model 7 Remington action and is lighter by a couple pounds than any of the 270 rifles other than my TC Encore.

Have three basic loads:

- 150 gr. Grand Slam handloads

- 140 gr. TSX (small shop - bought on liquidation for bullet component cost)

- 130 gr. Federal Trophy Copper (for LR and the Lead-Free Soviet Provinces)

7 minutes ago, Wallco1 said:

I really enjoy shooting long range with 6.5 creedmoor. Reasonable and low recoil and dam accurate. 

Went w/ his Grandpa - mainly for the rifle came wrapped around it.

image-jpg.225097

11 minutes ago, Wallco1 said:

I really enjoy shooting long range with 6.5 creedmoor. Reasonable and low recoil and dam accurate. 

Nice round really but I am still in the 260 Remington phase, just finished a new one and have to do some work to get it running for up to 1000 yard steel.

11 minutes ago, FredH said:

If I am elk or mule deer hunting in Wyoming yes, if I am hunting where I usually (Oklahoma, Texas) do I take the 7-08 simply because it is a lighter rifle, I also use it as a backup rifle on the western hunts.

Interesting.  I would have thought that a 270 would be a little small for Elk, but I've never shot one.     

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Blue Devil said:

Went w/ his Grandpa - mainly for the rifle came wrapped around it.

image-jpg.225097

One of my early backup rifles was A Swedish M96 in the good ole Swede. Shortened and lightened I took my second best mule deer ever with it.

Just now, crazyhole said:

Interesting.  I would have thought that a 270 would be a little small for Elk, but I've never shot one.     

Seemed to be plenty for elk when I used it. I have taken elk with several rifles, 7MM RM, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, 30-06 and 270. All worked just fine and I would use any of them again if tags were not so hard to draw nowadays.

1 minute ago, FredH said:

Seemed to be plenty for elk when I used it. I have taken elk with several rifles, 7MM RM, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, 30-06 and 270. All worked just fine and I would use any of them again if tags were not so hard to draw nowadays.

All I really have to go on is the stories of a guy that used to work for me.   He said he shot an elk with (I believe) a 30-06 and the thing ran so far that they had trouble getting it off the mountain.   Next time he used a 300 Weatherby and dropped it in its place.    

1 minute ago, crazyhole said:

All I really have to go on is the stories of a guy that used to work for me.   He said he shot an elk with (I believe) a 30-06 and the thing ran so far that they had trouble getting it off the mountain.   Next time he used a 300 Weatherby and dropped it in its place.    

Where the bullet hits is the most important part of killing and good bullet performance is second. Back in 1981 to 1990 I took 9 elk all with a 30-06 one shot apiece, some ran a ways and some fell right there. None went farther than 100 yards. I started playing with the bigger guns in the 90's and got exactly the same results. But then not everyone shoots enough.

17 minutes ago, FredH said:

One of my early backup rifles was A Swedish M96 in the good ole Swede. Shortened and lightened I took my second best mule deer ever with it.

The Ruger African is a sweet rifle.

24" Bbl., and have added a NECG Ruger tip-off rear aperture sight.

r1uzctexgwkjavkrqnzf.jpg

9 minutes ago, crazyhole said:

All I really have to go on is the stories of a guy that used to work for me.   He said he shot an elk with (I believe) a 30-06 and the thing ran so far that they had trouble getting it off the mountain...

Which is to say he hit it poorly.

Even a heart-shot elk will run a fair ways dead on its hooves.

45 minutes ago, Squatchman said:

You might want to look up .40s&w to glock 20 compatibility before you spout out with your ignorance.

It makes you look like you don't know what you're talking about.

Oh wait................

There should be no reason why you couldn't shoot .40 out of the G20, so long as it will feed correctly.  You can't shoot 10mm out of a gun designed to shoot 40.

Just now, Skans said:

There should be no reason why you couldn't shoot .40 out of the G20, so long as it will feed correctly.  You can't shoot 10mm out of a gun designed to shoot 40.

Correct.

My G20 eats it.

I researched it pretty extensively before I put .40 in it.

Not fucking up one of my Glocks on a rumor.

I only own 2.

I'm a member of a Glock forum.

Full of military and LEOs and a couple gun smiths.

Those guys know Glocks.

15 minutes ago, Squatchman said:

Correct.

My G20 eats it.

I only own 2.

Those guys know Glocks.

My 10MM is a first year Colt Delta Elite, a bit of a pricey piece and I won't shoot any 40 in it. I guess if the extractor hods the case in place well enough to withstand the firing in strike it won't hurt anything except maybe accuracy. The only Glock I own is a 17. Good pistol if you like Glocks.

45 minutes ago, Squatchman said:

Correct.

My G20 eats it.

I only own 2.

Those guys know Glocks.

It should run fine with 40.  About the only thing that might eventually happen is some fouling at the throat to where 10mm might have feeding hiccups.  But, that would be after thousands of rounds, and then you can just clean any fouling out of the barrel. 

• Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, FredH said:

My 10MM is a first year Colt Delta Elite, a bit of a pricey piece and I won't shoot any 40 in it. I guess if the extractor hods the case in place well enough to withstand the firing in strike it won't hurt anything except maybe accuracy. The only Glock I own is a 17. Good pistol if you like Glocks.

I also have a 17 Gen5 ,have only had it for a little over a year.

The 20 is Gen4.

I conceal carry one or the other.

Just depends on my mood.

I also only shoot .40 out of the 20 occasionally.

That round is hard to find also and I sold the last box I had to my boss for his CZ that is chambered in .40.

15 hours ago, Squatchman said:

I also have a 17 Gen5 ,have only had it for a little over a year.

The 20 is Gen4.

I conceal carry one or the other.

Just depends on my mood.

I also only shoot .40 out of the 20 occasionally.

That round is hard to find also and I sold the last box I had to my boss for his CZ that is chambered in .40.

Odd how both the 40 S&W and the 38 special, both extremely popular rounds are hard to find.

• Thumb up 1