Talking to a troubled teen

I asked a 17 year old troubled teenager this question..

Clearly you don't work, you are are unemployable, and it wouldn't matter if you were an adult, you are unemployable with this behavior..

If you were 54, you would still be unemployed.

You see, employers have a business to run.

And guess what ?

Unemployability is one strike toward incompetency, the loss your rights as an adult.

So...

You tell me...

In what way do you think it's fair, ok..

For you to live in your parents house, eat their food, wear clothes that that they buy, sleep in a bed that they bought...

And for you to run up their electric bill, their water bill, their gas bill, their phone bill...

And for their car to run out of gas, need oil changes, need new tires and need new brakes, and need to be washed, faster than it would without you...

While you sit here and abuse them...

And then won't go to rehab ?

You know what that is ?

That's robbery, and slavery.

You are using your parents.

They have a right to be rid of their tumor, which you are.

Now get your ass up....

Move.

2 minutes ago, AndyE said:

Clearly you don't work, you are are unemployable, and it wouldn't matter if you were an adult, you are employable with this behavior..

And guess what ?

Unemployability is one strike toward incompetency, the loss your rights as an adult.

So...

You tell me...

For you to live in your parents house, eat their food, wear clothes that that they buy, sleep in a bed that they bought...

And for you to run up their electric bill, their water bill, their gas bill, their phone bill...

And for their car to run out of gas, need oil changes, need new tires and need new brakes, and need to be washed, faster than it would without you...

You know what that is ?

They have a right to be rid of their tumor, with you are.

Now get your ass up....

Move.

Drugs and alcohol?

11 minutes ago, AndyE said:

Clearly you don't work, you are are unemployable, and it wouldn't matter if you were an adult, you are unemployable with this behavior..

That ain't no question !

More like an assumption !

Nevermind  . . .  

What did (s)he comment back ?

9 minutes ago, JinnMartini said:

That ain't no question !

More like an assumption !

Nevermind  . . .  

What did (s)he comment back ?

After the question designed to make him think about the realities, he got up and went.

21 minutes ago, AndyE said:

And guess what ?

So...

You tell me...

You know what that is ?

Now get your ass up....

Move.

What did he/she say?

5 minutes ago, AndyE said:

He didnt have anything to say, he was trying to come with something to say.

Hopefully you got him thinking

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, AndyE said:

And guess what ?

So...

You tell me...

You know what that is ?

Now get your ass up....

Move.

So I see you've met @Zaro IRL

LMAO

1 hour ago, AndyE said:

And guess what ?

So...

You tell me...

You know what that is ?

Now get your ass up....

Move.

On reflection I'd suggest to you first that a little experimentation with drugs and alcohol is nothing to get too terribly alarmed about. You can talk to him about the risks and the downsides.

If the kid has gotten in trouble about it or is showing signs of addiction those are a different matter.

If he's showing signs of addiction you need to be aware that addiction is usually a secondary phenomenon and there is other underlying emotional problem.

Recent theories of addiction trying to explain why most people who tried drugs do not become addicts points to underlying emotional problems as the root cause.

1 minute ago, slideman said:

On reflection I'd suggest to you first that a little experimentation with drugs and alcohol is nothing to get too terribly alarmed about. You can talk to him about the risks and the downsides.

If the kid has gotten in trouble about it or is showing signs of addiction those are a different matter.

If he's showing signs of addiction you need to be aware that addiction is usually a secondary phenomenon and there is other underlying emotional problem.

Recent theories of addiction trying to explain why most people who tried drugs do not become addicts points to underlying emotional problems as the root cause.

^^ don't take addiction advice from a self-confessed addict

• Upvote 1