Diners can expect menu substitutions, higher prices at restaurants as food costs rise

Restaurateurs are especially feeling the heat as their food costs continue to climb

Data from the U.S. Labor Department’s consumer price index released Thursday shows that prices for products have surged 5% from a year earlier, the biggest increase since the 5.3% surge in August 2008 ahead of the financial crisis. 

"We’re seeing labor go up so we’re going to pass those costs on,"

3 minutes ago, EltonJohnson said:

The shutdowns forced me to really take my cooking hobby to a higher level.

the need for restaurant dining has diminished 

Same here.

I actually think my cooking is better than what I would pay for at a restaurant now... not to mention that I have a better handle on what we're actually eating now.

21 minutes ago, rippy38 said:

Same here.

I actually think my cooking is better than what I would pay for at a restaurant now... not to mention that I have a better handle on what we're actually eating now.

I am in 100% agreement.  

3 hours ago, rippy38 said:

Is this the part where the Govt steps in a regulates what restaurants can charge?

Yes, if you are a big gov't Republican --- the type who think they should control women's reproductive decisions and stuff.

8 minutes ago, Scout said:

Yes, if you are a big gov't Republican --- the type who think they should control women's reproductive decisions and stuff.

The dumb arrives...

Lol

Thanks for the thread bump just the same though!

😁

3 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

No one is going to put price controls on restaurants.

Without price controls in place, don't higher prices for the consumer negate the bump in wages brought on by the Govt paying people more to stay at home and not work?

Just now, rippy38 said:

Without price controls in place, don't higher prices for the consumer negate the bump in wages brought on by the Govt paying people more to stay at home and not work?

Only if you assume that people who work in restaurants dine out regularly. I do not think that they do this much.

Dinner in a moderately fancy restaurant in Miami costs around $30 without wine. People who work in restaurants generally are renters, and rises in rent has mostly made dining in such places excessively expensive.

5 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

Only if you assume that people who work in restaurants dine out regularly. I do not think that they do this much.

Dinner in a moderately fancy restaurant in Miami costs around $30 without wine. People who work in restaurants generally are renters, and rises in rent has mostly made dining in such places excessively expensive.

Restaurants aren't the only sector going up.

It's across the board.

$15 an hour for an entry level job at Wendy's doesn't mean nearly as much when milk gets up to $5 a gallon, and the rent goes up 35%.

Then, everyone starts hollaring for more wage increases again.

As a result of the pandemic, a lot of people learned how to consult the internet for recipes and how to follow them. Many were successful, and as a result will not dine out as often as they once did.

The last time I ate out was when my daughter came with her husband for a visit and her mother and I went to a Denny's. Normally the place was nearly full. this last time there was only one couple besides us.

The food and the service were great as usual, and prices were not much higher.

2 hours ago, XavierOnassis said:

As a result of the pandemic, a lot of people learned how to consult the internet for recipes and how to follow them. Many were successful, and as a result will not dine out as often as they once did.

The last time I ate out was when my daughter came with her husband for a visit and her mother and I went to a Denny's. Normally the place was nearly full. this last time there was only one couple besides us.

^^^ Thinks a four-star restaurant is one that has a handicapped toilet, as that is the only kind she can use.

3 hours ago, Scout said:

Gee the right wants to regulate vagina? Wouldn't it be cool if women acted responsibly with their vagina's?

8 minutes ago, FredH said:

Gee the right wants to regulate vagina? Wouldn't it be cool if women acted responsibly with their vagina's?

They do when it comes to you, incel

12 hours ago, XavierOnassis said:

Denny's? LMFAO...

16 hours ago, rippy38 said:

Restaurateurs are especially feeling the heat as their food costs continue to climb

Data from the U.S. Labor Department’s consumer price index released Thursday shows that prices for products have surged 5% from a year earlier, the biggest increase since the 5.3% surge in August 2008 ahead of the financial crisis. 

This kind of sentiment is what led to the death of 5.6 million jews

9 hours ago, FredH said:

I don't fuck whores, you would not pass the screening process.

I can't anyway  . . .  even if I wanted to  . . .  which I havent ever done anyway  . . .  even when I could !

22 hours ago, rippy38 said:

Hey, @Toldya, that means if you didn’t get a 5 % raise last year or in your case 5% more welfare, the middle class and poor suffer the most over the globalist establishment agenda while YOU push for greatly increasing inflation by even more gargantuan government spending with unprecedented printed money. 

Fuck you, you traitorous piece of shit. I hope you suffer the consequences of that you support, get evicted and have to eat out of trash cans for survival. 

10 minutes ago, Str8tEdge said:

Hey, @Toldya, that means if you didn’t get a 5 % raise last year or in your case 5% more welfare, the middle class and poor suffer the most over the globalist establishment agenda while YOU push for greatly increasing inflation by even more gargantuan government spending with unprecedented printed money. 

Fuck you, you traitorous piece of shit. I hope you suffer the consequences of that you support, get evicted and have to eat out of trash cans for survival. 

Well, fortunately the FED is out of bullets so this is going to have to correct itself naturally.   On the flipside, now they are creating a permanent renters class so what leverage the lower-middle and middle class have will be lost to the threat of eviction.   Quite the mess we have created.