This is one of Mirabeau's FONDEST memories.

When Mirabeau was but a lad, he accompanied his father on a business trip to Beaumont, Texas.

While there, Mirabeau's father made arrangements to have breakfast with his first cousin, Carl, a man who owned a large feed-distribution business that supplied farms in a wide area of Southeast Texas.

Mirabeau and his father arrived at the feed distribution business to pick up Carl at about 7:00 AM, just as all the truck drivers were scheduled to leave the facility to start out on their routes to make their deliveries.

When we entered Carl's office, Mirabeau could tell that something was wrong with Carl.  Carl's face was blood-red, and his teeth were clenched. 

Carl was listening to his warehouse foreman, who informed Carl that the truckers had banded together and were in the warehouse, refusing to get into their trucks.  They were "going on strike" for higher wages, being led by one of their own, a self-styled "leader" of the truckers, who was nothing more than a loudmouthed troublemaker.

Carl listened carefully to what the foreman said, then excused himself to go to the warehouse and confront the strikers.

Mirabeau and his father followed, because Mirabeau's dad said this was something Mirabeau needed to witness.

Carl spoke with the "leader" who enunciated to Carl a list of demands, and then Carl asked the assembled drivers (about fifteen in all) if they were in agreement with the demands of the "leader."

They all grunted, squirmed, coughed, and avoided eye contact with Carl, but none expressed any disagreement with the "leader."

Mirabeau remembers this as if it happened yesterday.

Carl (6' 3", 245 lbs.) then said the following:

"You all have ten minutes to get into your trucks and leave the warehouse.  You will go on your routes as planned, and anyone who refuses to do so is FIRED and will NEVER WORK FOR ME AGAIN."

Then, looking at the leader, Carl said, "What I just told these men does not apply to you.  You are FIRED as of RIGHT NOW!  GET OFF MY PROPERTY IMMEDIATELY OR I WILL WHIP YOUR ASS!"

All the drivers went to their trucks and started out on their routes, the "leader" left the premises, and all was well and good.

Carl particularly enjoyed our breakfast that morning.

That is the full accounting of the Great Trucking Strike of 1997, Beaumont, Texas.

How sweet it was!

2 hours ago, Mirabeau said:

This is one of Mirabeau's FONDEST memories.

When Mirabeau was but a lad, he accompanied his father on a business trip to Beaumont, Texas.

While there, Mirabeau's father made arrangements to have breakfast with his first cousin, Carl, a man who owned a large feed-distribution business that supplied farms in a wide area of Southeast Texas.

Mirabeau and his father arrived at the feed distribution business to pick up Carl at about 7:00 AM, just as all the truck drivers were scheduled to leave the facility to start out on their routes to make their deliveries.

When we entered Carl's office, Mirabeau could tell that something was wrong with Carl.  Carl's face was blood-red, and his teeth were clenched. 

Carl was listening to his warehouse foreman, who informed Carl that the truckers had banded together and were in the warehouse, refusing to get into their trucks.  They were "going on strike" for higher wages, being led by one of their own, a self-styled "leader" of the truckers, who was nothing more than a loudmouthed troublemaker.

Carl listened carefully to what the foreman said, then excused himself to go to the warehouse and confront the strikers.

Mirabeau and his father followed, because Mirabeau's dad said this was something Mirabeau needed to witness.

Carl spoke with the "leader" who enunciated to Carl a list of demands, and then Carl asked the assembled drivers (about fifteen in all) if they were in agreement with the demands of the "leader."

They all grunted, squirmed, coughed, and avoided eye contact with Carl, but none expressed any disagreement with the "leader."

Mirabeau remembers this as if it happened yesterday.

Carl (6' 3", 245 lbs.) then said the following:

"You all have ten minutes to get into your trucks and leave the warehouse.  You will go on your routes as planned, and anyone who refuses to do so is FIRED and will NEVER WORK FOR ME AGAIN."

Then, looking at the leader, Carl said, "What I just told these men does not apply to you.  You are FIRED as of RIGHT NOW!  GET OFF MY PROPERTY IMMEDIATELY OR I WILL WHIP YOUR ASS!"

All the drivers went to their trucks and started out on their routes, the "leader" left the premises, and all was well and good.

Carl particularly enjoyed our breakfast that morning.

That is the full accounting of the Great Trucking Strike of 1997, Beaumont, Texas.

How sweet it was!

Oh yea lol 

49 minutes ago, king of the county said:

Oh yea lol 

The best way to deal with a union member is to 'splain to him in no uncertain terms what is going to happen to him if he doesn't shut the hell up and get back to work.