Workers Are Gaining Leverage Over Employers Right Before Our Eyes

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

FIFY.

"People are demanding more money to take a new job. The “reservation wage,” as economists call the minimum compensation workers would require, was 19 percent higher for those without a college degree

I would not say they have messed up the supply end of the spectrum I would say they have leveled the playing field so they are on a more equal footing with employers when it comes to negotiating wages

59 minutes ago, crazyhole said:

Don't need a 15 dollar minimum wage at this point.   Hiring practices have made it obsolete.   

Even the small outfits around here are paying that much just to entice people...

• Thumb up 1

It is inevitable given the amount of information available to the prospective employees. 30 years ago, you really had no idea what the average salary for a given profession in a given city was. Now, there is a mountain of data and information. Employers are not in a good position. The demand for their products has mostly come back but the workers have options and so have messed up the supply end of the spectrum. 

13 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

It is inevitable given the amount of information available to the prospective employees. 30 years ago, you really had no idea what the average salary for a given profession in a given city was. Now, there is a mountain of data and information. Employers are not in a good position. The demand for their products has mostly come back but the workers have options and so have messed up the supply end of the spectrum. 

I would not say they have messed up the supply end of the spectrum I would say they have leveled the playing field so they are on a more equal footing with employers when it comes to negotiating wages.

• Thumb up 2
26 minutes ago, slideman said:

I would say they have leveled the playing field so they are on a more equal footing with employers when it comes to negotiating wages.

how so?

Because the  government is subsidizing them, allowing them  NOT to work to survive.

It is insanity.   This is not organic, its false 

Never before  have  so many  jobs  been available  and  people will not take  the  jobs 

1 hour ago, JinnMartini said:

Prices of everything will go up accordingly  . . .  

The price of Romanian teeth will go up

1 minute ago, EltonJohnson said:

how so?

Because the  government is subsidizing them, allowing them  NOT to work to survive.

Never before  have  so many  jobs  been available  and  people will not take  the  jobs 

Look at it as being a correction in the labor/capital equation.    It's not that much different than closing the border in the outcome.    

• Like 1

My office is doing some research into this and while the extra $300 is a reason, we are finding that availability of daycare, going back to school, and wage concerns are playing a greater part. Average wages in the largest 2 digit (NAICS code) industries have risen 9% in the last 4 years while cost of housing has went up 40 to 45% and shows no signs of moderating. Why take a job if you will not be able to pay the rent comfortably?

15 minutes ago, crazyhole said:

Look at it as being a correction in the labor/capital equation.    It's not that much different than closing the border in the outcome.    

disagree, skilled  labor is being  subsidized too

1 minute ago, EltonJohnson said:

nonsense, skilled  labor is being  subsidized too

All labor is skilled other than entry level jobs.   Regardless, if you reduce the labor force pool then wages necessarily have to rise.   

I guess it just depends on what approach you would prefer to increase wages.  We could raise minimum wage, which I am not in favor of, or create increased demand for labor, which I am.   

25 minutes ago, EltonJohnson said:

how so?

I get so much from unemployment, I can't afford to take a job!