We've kind of lost what it means to be a citizen in the US thanks to illegal immigration, anchor baby policy, and sanctuary cities.    So what should be the determining factors for what makes a person a "citizen"?

12 minutes ago, crazyhole said:

We've kind of lost what it means to be a citizen in the US thanks to illegal immigration, anchor baby policy, and sanctuary cities.    So what should be the determining factors for what makes a person a "citizen"?

If you are born here, you are a citizen.  If not, you must go though a process. That is the current law and I see no chance that it will change.

"Anchor baby process" merely means that if your parents are born elsewhere, they have a higher status in being considered for immigration. That is fine with me. Children belong with their parents as I see it.

1 minute ago, XavierOnassis said:

If you are born here, you are a citizen.  If not, you must go though a process. That is the current law and I see no chance that it will change.

"Anchor baby process" merely means that if your parents are born elsewhere, they have a higher status in being considered for immigration. That is fine with me. Children belong with their parents as I see it.

You realize how silly that practice is, don't you?   A mom (sorry, birthing person) that is visiting the US from (x) country gives birth and that child is automatically a citizen?   Explain the logic behind this.  

1 minute ago, crazyhole said:

You realize how silly that practice is, don't you?   A mom (sorry, birthing person) that is visiting the US from (x) country gives birth and that child is automatically a citizen?   Explain the logic behind this.  

The US does not have to issue a visitors visa to a pregnant woman.

They do not have to issue visas to women of child-bearing age at all.

There are tourist companies that set up facilities for people to do this, and I am sure that the State Dept knows who they are.

Not all children born here request a passport or recognition when they reach 18. This was a practice of people in Hongkong, largely middle class and wealthy Chinese that felt (accurately) that the PRC would not abide by its promises when it became a part of China. By and large, the Chinese are hard working and law abiding citizens of the US. 

Mexican women who live along the border often give birth on the US side so they can send their kids to schools in the US. These people grow up bilingual and bicultural and are the backbone of import and export companies on both sides of the border.

I fail to see how this has harmed this country, and I do not expect it to change. I do not silly at all. And of course, the US does not have to issue visas to pregnant women.

22 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

"Anchor baby process" merely means that if your parents are born elsewhere, they have a higher status in being considered for immigration.

I would love to see this ignored, because I agree citizenship at birth isn't going away (even though it should).  If the parents of a US citizen who is a minor are here illegally, I would love to see us still deport them.  As for the child (citizen), the parents could either choose to take their child with them or sign away all parental rights.

6 minutes ago, Michaelf said:

Citizenship should only be granted in the case of being born in the US to parents who are living here LEGALLY.

The law says otherwise. The Constitution says otherwise and the courts agree. You would have to change the Constitution to change this, and that is not going to happen.

10 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

The law says otherwise. The Constitution says otherwise and the courts agree. You would have to change the Constitution to change this, and that is not going to happen.

Nobody needs to be told about "what is".    The question is "what should it be?"

13 minutes ago, crazyhole said:

Nobody needs to be told about "what is".    The question is "what should it be?"

This is a useless topic, because there is no chance they will amend the Constitution over this.

You speak only English, you fear foreigners because they are different and you want a world populated with people just like you. But you failed to reproduce enough and you will have to live with the results.

4 hours ago, crazyhole said:

What do sanctuary cities have to do with citizenship?

Same rules work now as always worked re citizenship.   

Same as any other baby born here.  DUH. 

• Thumb up 1

You know my answer. Being white.

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, crazyhole said:

My parents immigrated to the US in 1960...

We were required to have a sponsor, who found us a home, a job for my father and showed us the way of life here...

In 1968, when I turned 12, my parents, brother and I became naturalized citizens...

3 yrs ago at 62, I hustled down to the SSI office to sign up...

they had no record of my naturalization...

last Christmas I purchased a handgun. On the application I listed Clinton, Ontario as my birthplace...the FBI had all kinds of questions for my background check...again, no clue I am a naturalized citizen...

and you're asking to define citizenship...good luck with that as our gubment doesn't have a clue...

• Thumb up 1
4 minutes ago, ROG62 said:

Not white, Irish....LOL...

great flick...

Let's be fair to the Irish. They are white. 

I'd rather live with Irish people than negros. For sure.

3 minutes ago, PhilipIV said:

Judge not by the color of skin, but by the content of character.

Did you fucking miss that part?

4 minutes ago, PhilipIV said:

Hence my LOL...although the ginger throws me into a spin...

Just now, Wallco1 said:

I missed it. 

Well, maybe you have never been in the trenches...

Because when the shit gets real, that's all that matters.

Just now, rippy38 said:

Well, maybe you have never been in the trenches...

Because when the shit gets real, that's all that matters.

I was kidding. Relax. Everybody is so tight on here.

2 minutes ago, rippy38 said:

Judge not by the color of skin, but by the content of character.

Did you fucking miss that part?

I judge collectives, not individuals. 

I care little about what MLK, a communist puppet whose hander was Stanley Levinson, had to say. 

What was his dream? Biggie smalls? Flavor Flav?