Is Rule By Majority Vote Really The Best Form Of Government?

Nothing is more disagreeable than a majority; for it consists of a few powerful people in the lead, rogues who are adaptable, weak people who assimilate with the rest, and the crowd that trundles along behind without the slightest notion of what it’s after. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Is rule by majority vote really the best form of government? Well, I think that the answer to that depends on the people who make up the majority. If Goethe is right, and experience shows that his statement is very accurate, allowing the majority to decide how we all should live is completely asinine.

As he points out, there are a few powerful, influential people in the lead who influence those not smart enough to think for themselves, to join those who have specific agendas. Is this really what our forefathers had in mind?

If you were to poll voters in our country today, you would find that most people have very little, if any, real knowledge about the issues at hand. It takes time and effort to be informed. It takes intelligence and work to weed through all the spin and to see what is really happening behind the veil. Most people today do not take the time to really educate themselves as they should on the issues and therefore their vote is decided on little more than popularity and name recognition.

Anytime someone throws statistics at you stating that you are wrong because the polls show that 78% of people agree with this or that, you should feel proud that you are in the minority, for the minority is usually where wise men and women reside.

Excellence is of the few. Don’t be in a hurry to be included in the “majority.” Lynch mobs are always made up of the majority, but are seldom in the right. Have the courage to stand by your convictions, even if that means going against the majority, which it most likely will.

Bohdi Sanders ~ excerpt from Defensive Living: The Other Side of Self-Defense 

196530501_2028283930658673_8046422825824

It involves 100% participation of citizens  regarded as mature enough for their opinions to matter. So it has the potential of pleasing the largest number of citizens.

Any alternative system would be based on something other than pleasing the citizenry.

There are no perfect systems of government.

Utopias are possible only in an unchanging environment, and the Earth has no such places.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

It involves 100% participation of citizens  regarded as mature enough for their opinions to matter. So it has the potential of pleasing the largest number of citizens.

Any alternative system would be based on something other than pleasing the citizenry.

Utopias are possible only in an unchanging environment, and the Earth has no such places.

...And yet the Founders of this country chose to put limitations on majority rule, to protect the rights of those in the minority.  The system isn't just about "pleasing the largest number of citizens" but protecting the core rights and liberties of everyone, including the minority.

2 minutes ago, Spartan said:

...And yet the Founders of this country chose to put limitations on majority rule, to protect the rights of those in the minority.  The system isn't just about "pleasing the largest number of citizens" but protecting the core rights and liberties of everyone, including the minority.

How many people voted for George Washington? About 43000 out of 3,000,000.

1.433% of the population.

Call it what you will, it was no real democracy.\

The rights of the minorities are respected now more than ever in our history.

That pisses off some of the minorities.  They gas off here regularly.

The poor have too much already.

The rich need to be richer still.

The beliefs of my religion should be enshrined as the official beliefs!

What we need is GREATER Democracy. The Founding Fathers were mostly slave holding hypocrites.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, XavierOnassis said:

ms. onASSis fondly remembers marching in the streets trying to get the 19th Amendment passed.

It is the best form of government if you believe that people are intelligent, well-informed, and not susceptible to manipulation. In other word(s), no.

• Thumb up 1

This was never meant to be a democracy. "Majority rule" is just mob rule. Kind of like a lynch mob. This country was founded with the intention of providing freedom FROM the majority. There's nothing quite so tyrannical as a majority. They will vote themselves a bunch of free shit at somebody else's expense every time. Since the "right" to vote has been so greatly expanded things have gone straight into the toilet. Then when they run out of somebody else's money they'll go right back to being miserable...and they'll blame somebody else.

At the very least there should be strict criteria by which people EARN the privilege to vote. For starters  they should be on board with an interpretation of the Constitution that goes back to before certain parts were screwed up. People who want to "change" the country and the basic elements of it's Constitution should NOT be voting. Well maybe they could vote in some other country.

9 minutes ago, drvoke said:

It is the best form of government if you believe that people are intelligent, well-informed, and not susceptible to manipulation. In other word(s), no.

The other important element of this country's original design was the limited scope of government. At one time the average individual who probably wasn't very well informed didn't need to worry much about the federal government because the fed didn't fuck with individuals they way they do now. Now we have crazy people ion California deciding how to fuck up the lives of people in rural Indiana.

1 minute ago, Michaelf said:

The other important element of this country's original design was the limited scope of government. At one time the average individual who probably wasn't very well informed didn't need to worry much about the federal government because the fed didn't fuck with individuals they way they do now. Now we have crazy people ion California deciding how to fuck up the lives of people in rural Indiana.

Not enjoying the trickle-down culture? 

Can you tell us all about how crazy people in California are fucking up the lives of people in rural Indiana?

I am calling BS on that.

I am for greater democracy and equal treatment for all citizens before the law. You are spouting Cato institute nonsense.

4 hours ago, XavierOnassis said:

I've got news for you Meat-Head. 50% of the people in this country not only are mature enough their not smart enough either. 

You included.

1 minute ago, XavierOnassis said:

Can you tell us all about how crazy people in California are fucking up the lives of people in rural Indiana?

I am calling BS on that.

I am for greater democracy and equal treatment for all citizens before the law. You are spouting Cato institute nonsense.

42 Dem reps from Cali hold more influence in DC than the 7 Pubs from Indiana, do they not?

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, XavierOnassis said:

How many people voted for George Washington? About 43000 out of 3,000,000.

1.433% of the population.

Call it what you will, it was no real democracy.\

The rights of the minorities are respected now more than ever in our history.

That pisses off some of the minorities.  They gas off here regularly.

The poor have too much already.

The rich need to be richer still.

The beliefs of my religion should be enshrined as the official beliefs!

What we need is GREATER Democracy. The Founding Fathers were mostly slave holding hypocrites.

There it is, The Race Card. What a stupid MF'er you are. God help us.

Only the most miserable people on the planet obsess about race.

3 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

I am calling BS on that.

It's built into the overreach of the federal government. When the federal government can stick it's nose into the retirement plans or healthcare plans of the individual and people in California (for example) gets to vote on it with so much clout. How many seats do they have in the House? See?

So who should vote? Since the government has it's nose so far up my ass, I am the only one who should get to vote...because it's my ass.

I think I would like the Cato institute.

Just now, TBHWT said:

There it is, The Race Card. What a stupid MF'er you are. God help us.

You are the only one that sports a picture of a dog crapping on Obama. You are about as miserable as any of the RWNJs in this forum, peckerwood.

38 minutes ago, Mirabeau said:

ms. onASSis fondly remembers marching in the streets trying to get the 19th Amendment passed.

I'll bet money he didn't march With MLk. But sure feels like a hero when calling others racist.

3 minutes ago, Michaelf said:

It's built into the overreach of the federal government. When the federal government can stick it's nose into the retirement plans or healthcare plans of the individual and people in California (for example) gets to vote on it with so much clout. How many seats do they have in the House? See?

So who should vote? Since the government has it's nose so far up my ass, I am the only one who should get to vote...because it's my ass.

I think I would like the Cato institute.

You have not identified anything that any Californians have tried to do to any rural people in Indiana. You have failed to prove your point. Because you have no point. The government does not have it nose up your ass, you are just spewing leftover Teaparty nonsense.

2 minutes ago, TBHWT said:

I'll bet money he didn't march With MLk. But sure feels like a hero when calling others racist.

In the 1960's I was in New Mexico. I don;t feel like a hero, but I do think that you have clearly identified yourself as a racist with that photo of a dog shitting on Obama and all the other racist remarks.

3 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

You are the only one that sports a picture of a dog crapping on Obama. You are about as miserable as any of the RWNJs in this forum, peckerwood.

That's because he was a POS president and started another Race war buy being racist himself and you fell for it lock, stock, and barrel. You've been had AH. 

Just now, XavierOnassis said:

In the 1960's I was in New Mexico. I don;t feel like a hero, but I do think that you have clearly identified yourself as a racist with that photo of a dog shitting on Obama and all the other racist remarks.

Now GFY AH!!!