The annual draft is my Detroit Lions Super Bowl....it gives us a few weeks of glimmering hope before their pick becomes a bust and we wait until next year....always next year....after the biannual "rebuild".  This year is no different.  The Lions pick 7th...not that it matters but hey, 7 might turn up lucky, right?  Since their only strength is thought to be their offensive (pun) line, they'll probably pick an offensive (pun) lineman...the worst athletes on the field.  If they had any chops they'd be defensive linemen...or as Carlos at the Free Press says....a team can win with hitchhikers and hobos on the OL as long as the skill positions are staffed with the right stuff.  ESPN/ABC...Thursday night at 8 eastern.  😏

5319493b-181c-4215-8ab0-d6290edc7956-SI_

• Thumb up 1

Most mock drafts have Detroit going with Trey Lance (QB) from NDSU or Devonta Smith (WR) from Alabama. As per PFF, they have two OL in Taylor Decker and Frank Ragnow that grade out in the top 10 at their positions so OL would not seem to be the top priority. In the second and third rounds, seeking an upgrade at RG would be good. 

Detroit has never been patient enough. They get high picks and occasionally hit on them (Calvin Johnson, Matthew Stafford, Ndamukong Suh, Taylor Decker, Jeff Hartings). However, it takes more than a few good players. Next, they seemingly always overpay or blow it in free agency in their attempts to win now. If I was Detroit, I would go full rebuild and try to have talent across the roster not just in key spots. 

If I am DET, I would trade 2020 1st round pick, Jeff Okudah, to someone in the AFC for a 3rd rd pick in 2022. As for this draft, I would go with either Micah Parsons (LB) from Penn State or Zaven Collins (DE) from Tulsa. They could probably trade back to the 15 to 19 range and get one of these two while picking up additional 3rd and 4th rounders in 2021 and 2022. 

• Thanks 1

Word on the street is that Aaron Rodgers wants out of Green Bay. If this is for real, I would not draft a QB. Instead, bolster their OL to help keep Jordan Love (QB and 2020 1st round pick) upright. They let a first team all-pro at Center leave , Cory Linsley. Pressure up the middle destroys QBs more than pressure on the edges. 

2 minutes ago, king of the county said:

White dude should be first player taken 

However, not because he is white. It just happens that Jacksonville needs a QB and the best one is a white guy. If their greatest need was OT then they would be stupid to not take Penei Sewell, a Pacific islander. 

55 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

However, not because he is white. It just happens that Jacksonville needs a QB and the best one is a white guy. If their greatest need was OT then they would be stupid to not take Penei Sewell, a Pacific islander. 

We shall see who turns out to be the most successful qb in this class 

1 minute ago, king of the county said:

We shall see who turns out to be the most successful qb in this class 

Of those that have entered the league in the last 5 years, the black qb's outdo their white counterparts in playoff wins, MVP, Pro Bowl, and All Pro appearances. Trevor Lawrence will probably be successful. Justin fields will need the right situation.. like Kyler Murray in Arizona. 

1 hour ago, impartialobserver said:

Of those that have entered the league in the last 5 years, the black qb's outdo their white counterparts in playoff wins, MVP, Pro Bowl, and All Pro appearances. Trevor Lawrence will probably be successful. Justin fields will need the right situation.. like Kyler Murray in Arizona. 

Uh the kc qb is half white how does he count?

I changed my mind after learning Sewell was rated the best pass-protecting and third-best run-blocking lineman in college football...think about that....a generational lineman in the NFL?  could be.....  HUGE man....fast, nimble, and mean as a mamba.....GREAT PICK MOTOWN!

GettyImages-1191569644.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

On 4/27/2021 at 1:00 PM, impartialobserver said:

Most mock drafts have Detroit going with Trey Lance (QB) from NDSU or Devonta Smith (WR) from Alabama. As per PFF, they have two OL in Taylor Decker and Frank Ragnow that grade out in the top 10 at their positions so OL would not seem to be the top priority. In the second and third rounds, seeking an upgrade at RG would be good. 

Detroit has never been patient enough. They get high picks and occasionally hit on them (Calvin Johnson, Matthew Stafford, Ndamukong Suh, Taylor Decker, Jeff Hartings). However, it takes more than a few good players. Next, they seemingly always overpay or blow it in free agency in their attempts to win now. If I was Detroit, I would go full rebuild and try to have talent across the roster not just in key spots. 

If I am DET, I would trade 2020 1st round pick, Jeff Okudah, to someone in the AFC for a 3rd rd pick in 2022. As for this draft, I would go with either Micah Parsons (LB) from Penn State or Zaven Collins (DE) from Tulsa. They could probably trade back to the 15 to 19 range and get one of these two while picking up additional 3rd and 4th rounders in 2021 and 2022. 

The newest regime in Detroit believes a ball-control (running) offense and great defensive front and LBs (3-4) is the way to win in the black and blue division.  Smashmouth football is what the Rust Belt loves and these guys' first 5 picks show they want size and attitude on the lines and just enough passing to keep defenses honest....win 14-3...screw the flash, make opponents fear coming into the Motor City.  👺

On 4/29/2021 at 1:15 PM, impartialobserver said:

Word on the street is that Aaron Rodgers wants out of Green Bay. If this is for real, I would not draft a QB. Instead, bolster their OL to help keep Jordan Love (QB and 2020 1st round pick) upright. They let a first team all-pro at Center leave , Cory Linsley. Pressure up the middle destroys QBs more than pressure on the edges. 

Rodgers has gone Hollywood...he wants to be the new "Jeopardy" host and bang nubile young starlets....How is Green Bay, Wisconsin supposed to compete with that????  If GB is smart they'll trade him before he retires and they get nothing.  The 49ers could pay a king's ransom for him and everybody wins.  The new Lions GM bilked the Rams....their QB and 1st round picks the next two years...and for STAFFORD!  That guy got several ribs broken in Detroit with his side-arm slings that rise and make a receiver go up in the air exposing their slats to helmet-spearing DBs.  Just as often the ball sailed over everybody's head and Stafford would just stare downfield at the receiver like he should have been able to leap 5 feet in the air to snag the ball.  Rumor is his wife is a total psycho after they took a tumor out of her brain....too bad....nice couple but it was time for a change of scenery.  And I believe Goff is the better QB of the two although nobody wants to say it.....I'll say it....I bet he does a fine job in Detroit's new run-oriented offense.

1 hour ago, FableNews said:

Rodgers has gone Hollywood...he wants to be the new "Jeopardy" host and bang nubile young starlets....How is Green Bay, Wisconsin supposed to compete with that????  If GB is smart they'll trade him before he retires and they get nothing.  The 49ers could pay a king's ransom for him and everybody wins.  The new Lions GM bilked the Rams....their QB and 1st round picks the next two years...and for STAFFORD!  That guy got several ribs broken in Detroit with his side-arm slings that rise and make a receiver go up in the air exposing their slats to helmet-spearing DBs.  Just as often the ball sailed over everybody's head and Stafford would just stare downfield at the receiver like he should have been able to leap 5 feet in the air to snag the ball.  Rumor is his wife is a total psycho after they took a tumor out of her brain....too bad....nice couple but it was time for a change of scenery.  And I believe Goff is the better QB of the two although nobody wants to say it.....I'll say it....I bet he does a fine job in Detroit's new run-oriented offense.

That's ok with trever Jacksonville will dominate.

5 hours ago, FableNews said:

I changed my mind after learning Sewell was rated the best pass-protecting and third-best run-blocking lineman in college football...think about that....a generational lineman in the NFL?  could be.....  HUGE man....fast, nimble, and mean as a mamba.....GREAT PICK MOTOWN!

GettyImages-1191569644.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Boy is this the polar opposite of your OP. You really don’t know anything about football, do ya? C’mon, you can admit it.

5 hours ago, FableNews said:

The newest regime in Detroit believes a ball-control (running) offense and great defensive front and LBs (3-4) is the way to win in the black and blue division.  Smashmouth football is what the Rust Belt loves and these guys' first 5 picks show they want size and attitude on the lines and just enough passing to keep defenses honest....win 14-3...screw the flash, make opponents fear coming into the Motor City.  👺

In the end......it’s still Deeeeetroit.

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, FableNews said:

The drafting of Sewell was interesting. First, they already had a good, young, Pro Bowl talent at left tackle in Taylor Decker. So it would seem that they will now put Decker over at RT and Sewell at LT eventually. That's ok except for that this will kind of screw them in the salary cap. They will be playing pro bowl LT money to a RT and then be paying another high salary at LT. 

If they do switch Decker to RT, they will have 4 high quality linemen on that line; Decker, Sewell, Ragnow (center), and Vaitai (left guard). My prediction is that DET wins between 2 and 5 games next year and then drafts a QB in the next draft after giving their current OL group a year to really come together. 

Last one. I would give Detroit a B for this draft. They did not really need Penei Sewell and so left themselves a bit exposed on defense. The selections of Onwuzurike (DT from Washington) and McNeil (DE from NC State) were solid. They did not really address needs. Who knows.. the long game may be that they want to develop young talent in 2022 and have them ready for 2023. 

The teams that really knocked it out of the park were Cleveland and Minnesota. Cleveland used to do what DET is doing and has done... draft guys too high or simply whiff on early round picks while trying to compensate in free agency. Cleveland could be ready for a super bowl run in 2 years. How cool would it be to see Cleveland and their fans in a Super Bowl.

On 5/2/2021 at 8:20 PM, LaughinAtLefty said:

Boy is this the polar opposite of your OP. You really don’t know anything about football, do ya? C’mon, you can admit it.

I'd imagine I've forgotten more about football than you imagine you know, putz.  I was a Unitas to Raymond Berry fan the late 50's.....I doubt you've ever heard of either of them....Or Dan Fouts, or R.C.Owens, or Alex Karras and Roger Brown.  How about Sam Huff, Chuck Bednarick, Barry Sanders, or Alan Ameche?  You pissants crack me up snarking each other when most of you haven't been outdoors in years.  Like I said straight-away, I changed my mind about Sewell when I learned how highly-rated he was coming out of college...and he's only 20 years old.  Have somebody read my posts to you..you can't handle them on your own.

p.s. I could throw a tight-spiral 60 yards until I was in my early 30's and had hurt my rotater-cuff in a bar fight.....

On 5/3/2021 at 9:36 AM, impartialobserver said:

The drafting of Sewell was interesting. First, they already had a good, young, Pro Bowl talent at left tackle in Taylor Decker. So it would seem that they will now put Decker over at RT and Sewell at LT eventually. That's ok except for that this will kind of screw them in the salary cap. They will be playing pro bowl LT money to a RT and then be paying another high salary at LT. 

If they do switch Decker to RT, they will have 4 high quality linemen on that line; Decker, Sewell, Ragnow (center), and Vaitai (left guard). My prediction is that DET wins between 2 and 5 games next year and then drafts a QB in the next draft after giving their current OL group a year to really come together. 

Interesting take but premature....Sewell hasn't ever encountered an NLF defensive end....he'll get schooled his first year but survive and prosper.  Decker just signed a new 4 year deal and will remain the LT through the duration...he's a good one.  Then at age 32, he either stays in Detroit or leaves or retires and Sewell takes over on Gott's blind-side.  Detroit will finish the job on the defense in the 2022 draft, not interested in a QB....Goff is 26 and should get coached up enough to run the Detroit offense for years...strong arm, good vision, and a line that will keep him from getting chased around running for his life like Stafford had to.  I predict an 8-8 record for this season if they can replace Golladay's production with a speedster and a slot-receiver which I believe they just did.

If it seems like I have a small, new article of faith in the putrid Lions, maybe I do.....I'm from the Motor City afterall but haven't lived there in 50 years or had to watch them operate on TV as a toy for the Ford family.  But the new regime is interesting....anything would be better than the Quinn/Patricia duet.....a GM who was clearly out of his depth and a hideously obese coach who could barely stand for 60 minutes of football.

343a8467f92b4fd5a021fb59db662457.jpg?wid