Democrats introduce bill to ban gun silencers

Backers of a Federal Ban on 'Gun Silencers' Claim Only Murderers Use Them –  Reason.com

Good. They should be banned and confiscated. This is just a taste of things to come.

Democratic senator introduces bill to ban gun silencers | TheHill

(Full article at above link)

Democrats on Monday introduced a bill to outlaw gun suppressors, also known as silencers.

The Help Empower Americans to Respond Act would ban the importation, sale, manufacture, transfer or possession of suppressors. It was introduced in response to a mass shooting in Virginia Beach, Va., in which a gun suppressor was used. 

It would also authorize a mandatory silencer buyback program.

His legislation was co-sponsored by Sens. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) and Tim Kaine (D-Va.).

Twelve people were killed and four were injured in a shooting last month in Virginia Beach. Police Chief James Cervera said the shooter used a .45-caliber handgun with multiple extended magazines and a suppressor.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This would be a very bad idea and counter-productive to Liberal goals of gun control.    As it stands, it is cumbersome but not overly difficult to obtain a silencer.  When someone does this

Why would you need a silencer unless you’re hiding a murder?

Why?   They  don't make the  gun silent, but they protect  hearing.   There is no logical basis to ban a suppressor

Just now, drvoke said:

Good. They should be banned and confiscated. This is just a taste of things to come.

This is just your typical trolling you do  here.

In your  liberal paradise  suppressors are encouraged and easily obtained 

One thing  you are  always wrong  here is  gun subjects and civil rights 

2 minutes ago, Pastafarian said:

Maybe you want to fire quietly. 
maybe the sound hurts your ears. 

14 minutes ago, EltonJohnson said:

This is just your typical trolling you do  here.

In your  liberal paradise  suppressors are encouraged and easily obtained 

One thing  you are  always wrong  here is  gun subjects and civil rights 

Wrong about everything as usual. I want silencers banned. That's the beginning and end of it.

5 minutes ago, drvoke said:

Wrong about everything as usual. I want silencers banned. That's the beginning and end of it.

Why? If someone wants to kill you. Believe me- having or not having a silencer will not stop them. 
how many school shootings involved silencers? 

22 minutes ago, Pastafarian said:

If they take away one thing, it will not stop there. I promise you that. 

27 minutes ago, drvoke said:

Never mind that it's impossible. 

Can you ban the manufacture of them in the US?  Maybe. 

Can you confiscate the ones that exist?  No...you don't know who has one.

Can you prevent people in the US from getting them even if you ban the manufacture and OTC sales?  No...because you cannot, Constitutionally, search every parcel entering the US.  As long as the world wide web exist, I can by things from just about any country in the world and have it shipped to my front door.

Liberals just need to create a law that stops people from breaking the law.

17 minutes ago, drvoke said:

Why?

They  don't make the  gun silent, but they protect  hearing.

There is no logical basis to ban a suppressor

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, Pastafarian said:

LOL..  not surprised you are  pushing a leftist lie.

Suppressors protect hearing.   If you are engaged in the legal  use of a  firearm in a self defense  situation  in your home,  why should  you risk  permanent  damage ?

44 minutes ago, drvoke said:

Backers of a Federal Ban on 'Gun Silencers' Claim Only Murderers Use Them –  Reason.com

Democrats on Monday introduced a bill to outlaw gun suppressors, also known as silencers.

The Help Empower Americans to Respond Act would ban the importation, sale, manufacture, transfer or possession of suppressors. It was introduced in response to a mass shooting in Virginia Beach, Va., in which a gun suppressor was used. 

His legislation was co-sponsored by Sens. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) and Tim Kaine (D-Va.).

Twelve people were killed and four were injured in a shooting last month in Virginia Beach. Police Chief James Cervera said the shooter used a .45-caliber handgun with multiple extended magazines and a suppressor.

This would be a very bad idea and counter-productive to Liberal goals of gun control. 

As it stands, it is cumbersome but not overly difficult to obtain a silencer.  When someone does this, in essence, they and their silencer are registered with the ATF and FBI - fingerprints and photograph. 

However, it is extremely easy to make silencers.  You could never outlaw the parts available to make illegal silencers.  Ranging from steel and aluminum pipe to flashlight bodies, to fuel filters, to PVC pipe, and the list goes on.    So, once you destroy what is basically de-facto gun registration, you will be left with people making cheap, unregistered silencers. 

Silencers never held any fascination for me.  They are long, cumbersome and make firearms a pain in the ass to conceal and use.  Probably the worst thing gun-banners could do (from my perspective) is mandate that every gun must have a silencer on it.

• Upvote 2
Just now, Skans said:

This would be a very bad idea and counter-productive to Liberal goals of gun control. 

As it stands, it is cumbersome but not overly difficult to obtain a silencer.  When someone does this, in essence, they and their silencer are registered with the ATF and FBI - fingerprints and photograph. 

However, it is extremely easy to make silencers.  You could never outlaw the parts available to make illegal silencers.  Ranging from steel and aluminum pipe to flashlight bodies, to fuel filters, to PVC pipe, and the list goes on.    So, once you destroy what is basically de-facto gun registration, you will be left with people making cheap, unregistered silencers. 

Silencers never held any fascination for me.  They are long, cumbersome and make firearms a pain in the ass to conceal and use.  Probably the worst thing gun-banners could do (from my perspective) is mandate that every gun must have a silencer on it.

What about stabilizers? I think that’s what they are called? Another dumb ban 

4 minutes ago, Skans said:

And the mic drops.......

37 minutes ago, EltonJohnson said:

Why?

20 minutes ago, superds77 said:

Not that it matters, but has there been a rash of crime committed using guns with silencers? @drvoke

That would at least be an attempt to make the case.

If this legislation creates enough friction to save one precious human life the struggle will have been worth it.

1 minute ago, drvoke said:

If this legislation creates enough friction to save one precious human life the struggle will have been worth it.

Following that logic, we should ban all motor vehicles, vending machines, baseball bats, fertilizer, sticks, rocks, hands, belts, knives, etc.

17 minutes ago, BatteryPowered said:

Following that logic, we should ban all motor vehicles, vending machines, baseball bats, fertilizer, sticks, rocks, hands, belts, knives, etc.

It's stupid logic, and even drvoke knows this.  He's just trying to get a rise out of the gun folks on this forum.

20 minutes ago, drvoke said:
43 minutes ago, superds77 said:

Not that it matters, but has there been a rash of crime committed using guns with silencers? @drvoke

That would at least be an attempt to make the case.

Come on man! You can do better than that. As noted above that "logic" is a non-starter.

Using your argument would your mind be changed if a proposal SAVED one life?

I think it would be rather easy for a person to design and build his own silencer. I do not think there is a lot of technology involved in making a silencer. But most irresponsible gun nuts are lacking in the required skills.

There are a number of assholes within earshot of my home that seem to like firing off their guns for no apparent reason, especially around July 4th and New Years.

They would not be fans of silencers, though as they LIKE to, hear bang bang.

Some idiot neighbor's kid shot out the back window on my car about 12 years ago with a pellet gun. I had previously seen the kid (under 10 years old) with the pellet gun in his hand and a couple of weeks later my back window was shot out and there was a pellet in the car.

The kid's father failed to pay the rent and was evicted with the rest of the family shortly thereafter.

40 minutes ago, BatteryPowered said:

21 minutes ago, superds77 said:

Come on man! You can do better than that. As noted above that "logic" is a non-starter.

Using your argument would your mind be changed if a proposal SAVED one life?

Where's Elton when you need him?

2 hours ago, drvoke said:

Never happen in Texas ...