Ever notice...90% of the republiKLANS posts are RACIST or about guns??

1 hour ago, impartialobserver said:

I happened upon this while surfing on the internet. My first thought was that this was a gimmick. Been thinking about picking about a handgun/pistol so will take your recommendation. 

It is a gimmick, and definitely stay away from that one.  Besides, I see they are trying to get upwards of $300 for those things now!  Personally, I'd look for a used Ruger Mark I or Mark II, which you can still find for $300, even less.  Here's one I quickly found on gunbroker for $295 - no bids on it.

pix883027403.jpg

7 minutes ago, Skans said:

It is a gimmick, and definitely stay away from that one.  Besides, I see they are trying to get upwards of $300 for those things now!  Personally, I'd look for a used Ruger Mark I or Mark II, which you can still find for $300, even less.  Here's one I quickly found on gunbroker for $295 - no bids on it.

pix883027403.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. I have been opposed to owning one in the past. However, when I am 65 and not nearly as nimble, agile, or energetic... going to need something to deter/punish someone who decides to break in. Our neighborhood is and has been remarkably safe and mellow but that could change. All of the houses in the two mile radius were built from 1979 to 1984. Older neighborhoods eventually become low cost/low rent and then comes the riff raff. 

58 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

Thanks for the heads up. I have been opposed to owning one in the past. However, when I am 65 and not nearly as nimble, agile, or energetic... going to need something to deter/punish someone who decides to break in. Our neighborhood is and has been remarkably safe and mellow but that could change. All of the houses in the two mile radius were built from 1979 to 1984. Older neighborhoods eventually become low cost/low rent and then comes the riff raff. 

What you choose for self defense has to be your own choice.  But, the older Ruger Mark I and II are rock-solid simple .22's which will last many lifetimes, and function better than most as long as you keep them clean.  Since the Zip gun is a .22 and in the same price range as older, used Mark I and II's, I figure apples to apples.   There really isn't much someone can do to break or destroy a Ruger Mark I or II, so used ones are a good bet.  I bought mine used about 15 years ago, have shot it a lot and let others shoot it - it is still like new.

20 minutes ago, Skans said:

What you choose for self defense has to be your own choice.  But, the older Ruger Mark I and II are rock-solid simple .22's which will last many lifetimes, and function better than most as long as you keep them clean.  Since the Zip gun is a .22 and in the same price range as older, used Mark I and II's, I figure apples to apples.   There really isn't much someone can do to break or destroy a Ruger Mark I or II, so used ones are a good bet.  I bought mine used about 15 years ago, have shot it a lot and let others shoot it - it is still like new.

Interesting info. Another great thing about Nevada is the abundance of shooting ranges (public and private). Plenty of places to give it a test run or two.

1 minute ago, impartialobserver said:

Interesting info. Another great thing about Nevada is the abundance of shooting ranges (public and private). Plenty of places to give it a test run or two.

I'm surprised at how much firearms have gone up since the election.  That Ruger above, although I'm sure it's a great shooter and not bad considering today's prices, would have sold for about $150 a couple of years ago, due to its cosmetic condition.  I would clean it up a bit and possibly use some cold blue paste on it to eliminate the bright spots.  It would look good by the time I was done with it.

3 minutes ago, Skans said:

I'm surprised at how much firearms have gone up since the election.  That Ruger above, although I'm sure it's a great shooter and not bad considering today's prices, would have sold for about $150 a couple of years ago, due to its cosmetic condition.  I would clean it up a bit and possibly use some cold blue paste on it to eliminate the bright spots.  It would look good by the time I was done with it.

I may seem like a know-it-all but prices of firearms is a dead spot in my knowledge library. 

• Thumb up 1

Just now, Imgreatagain said:

Hmm .questionable 

why would she get rid of a gun? We were checking out the build your own AK things on Sunday at the gun show. Any thoughts ? 

Or maybe an AR . Not sure . I’ll have to check. But the build your own deals 

12 minutes ago, Imgreatagain said:

Hmm .questionable 

why would she get rid of a gun? We were checking out the build your own AK things on Sunday at the gun show. Any thoughts ? 

Better question is why would ANYONE get rid of that particular gun?  One of my "grail guns".  Bid on several; still haven't won one.

Are we talking building an AK or an AR.  As for an AK - don't do it, the tools are too expensive, and there is a good bit more skill involved.  It will be much cheaper and better just to buy an AK - even at these inflated prices.

As for an AR from gun-show parts, here is my recommendation:

1. Pick out a barreled upper receiver complete with handguard that you like.  I'd look for one marked "Wylde" - more flexibility with 5.56/223 and that's what you are going to find.  A couple of years ago (my last build), an average barreled upper would run about $150-$250.  Just make sure it is "M4" configuration.

2. Pick a decent forged or billet aluminum lower receiver.  It is best if the lower and upper receivers are matched. There is little practical difference between billet and forged receivers - both will last more than a lifetime of use. Honestly, buy what YOU think looks and works best for you when it comes to the barreled upper and lower receiver set.

3.  Choose a bolt carrier group.  This is where you want to spend the extra money.  The bolt should be high pressure tested (HPT) and magnetic particle inspected (MPI), and  should be shot peened to ensure durability. You want it to be a shrouded firing pin - basically an M16 bolt and I'd suggest an M16 bolt carrier as well. The bolt carrier should have the gas key properly staked and it should be Nitride or Chrome finished.   This is where you want to spend the money!!! Ask for assistance.

4.  Small Parts kit.  I usually buy a new CMMG small parts kit for my builds.  Then, I might decide to swap out parts after its built like trigger, stainless springs and hardware, etc. depending on what I want.   But, the CMMG parts kit will give you 100% of the parts (less buttstock parts) to complete your build.  Just follow the instructions.

5.  Choose a buttstock, tube, spring and buffer.  Basically, you can go cheap or whatever floats your boat. Personally, I hate rattly buttstocks, so I go with a good Magpul kit. I usually use a standard spring and buffer.

Hey, you AR guys, chime in here.  Did I forget anything?

On 3/29/2021 at 5:42 AM, benson13 said:

yea Skans....you need it....everyone wants to steal all your neat stuff..your hank jr CDs and hubcaps nailed to the side of your grage

They mite steal his beer cans and recyclables! Its how he scrounges out $$!

Fascinating that weapon haters try to define their superiority over others, because they think they're just so much more educated, intelligent, and moral than their Constitution-supporting opposites.

That self-righteousness is a defining aspect of narcissism, as is their anger that anyone would have the means to block the totalitarianism they advocate for.

Me, I'm an independent.  Not a Trump supporter and never liked the man.  I was a registered Democrat for most of my life, and after I left the party I had ZERO desire to jump ship to the other side of the corrupt political machine that now dominates our government.  I've spent my life fighting for Civil Rights and equality for ALL Americans regardless of race, creed, gender, or orientation... but I dare state I oppose gun control and now I'm a right-wing trailer-trash racist redneck.  Funny, really.

Long story short, gun control advocates are cowards who try to spin their spineless whining into somehow being a mark of virtue, and sneering down their noses at those who refuse to swallow their line of bovine excrement.

• Thumb up 1