should the republican party be banned as a terrorist organization

• 3 weeks later...

In addition to having the most destructive agenda of any other established group in power on Earth, the Republicans have turned our Constitutional Democratic Republic into a sham.  They constantly steal presidential elections with a antique rule called the Electoral College.  And they stack the House of Representatives by the widespread misuse of Gerrymandering.

To distract from the real issues, like Plutocracy, The Republican Party  misinforms a gullible portion of the American People who now live in a fantasy world because of it.  This nightmare party has been able to spread their lies with a giant media machine operating 24/7/365.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I've tried to post 'The Republican Civil War' in two separate forums, but they've been deleted.

Plus, the 'liberals only' forum is full of psycho Republican filth which is never deleted.

This is like another so-called 'free speech' website that was in reality set up for Republicans to attack liberals.

Welcome to Western Russia.

14 hours ago, protester said:

I've tried to post 'The Republican Civil War' in two separate forums, but they've been deleted.

Plus, the 'liberals only' forum is full of psycho Republican filth which is never deleted.

This is like another so-called 'free speech' website that was in reality set up for Republicans to attack liberals.

Can you give me an example of the "psycho Republican filth" you claim this room is full of?

I don't see it, but I don't always catchh everything. 

Help me out here.

15 hours ago, protester said:

Your post was never deleted. It apparently just dropped down on the list.

On 3/11/2021 at 4:54 PM, jerra- said:

like my thread about elephants.

If there are only a few comments, the threads drop down the list abyss in no time at all.

On 3/10/2021 at 11:32 AM, bludog said:

First and foremost, they are the party of the the Big Corporations 

This is no longer correct.  Disillusioned by Trump, Big Corporations are now overwhelmingly Democrat.  If you don't believe me, follow the money.  Corporate campaign donations go to Democrats, not Republicans.  Also, in the 2020 election, Biden polled better in high-income counties than in those with low-income.  In recent years, big donors sent their money to Democrats, not Republicans.  

Maybe some Republicans still believe they are the party of the rich, but the rich don't agree.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Renegade said:

This is no longer correct.  Disillusioned by Trump, Big Corporations are now overwhelmingly Democrat.  If you don't believe me, follow the money.  Corporate campaign donations go to Democrats, not Republicans.  Also, in the 2020 election, Biden polled better in high-income counties than in those with low-income.  In recent years, big donors sent their money to Democrats, not Republicans.  

Maybe some Republicans still believe they are the party of the rich, but the rich don't agree.

Absolutely true.   Biden voters were better educated and had higher incomes.  Your typical republican barely graduated high school, works at a menial job if he works at all, and lives in a trailer park.

I've learned that you can judge a persons political affiliation as soon as they open their mouth.   If they are missing teeth, they are a republican.  True.

On 3/17/2021 at 6:42 AM, Renegade said:

A perusal of current news shows this to be true, by and large;  And I stand corrected.  If this situation lasts through the next few election cycles, it could have significant influence on US politics in the form of Democratic political ascendance.   It could also be a death knell for another Trump run in 2024

If I had my choice, I'd eliminate all political parties.  But, of course that's impossible.   Americans (and perhaps people of all cultures) have an irresistible drive to categorize and classify each other.  We also love to pick sides, join teams, and yell expletives at the 'other side'.   In the USA, you can't just be Jane Doe, an individual with unique experiences and views.  Instead, you must be classified as a liberal/conservative/libertarian, black/white/asian/hispanic, Christian/Muslim/atheist, man/woman/other.  We insist on these classifications so that we can immediately discredit any thoughts you might express.  You're obviously biased and untrustworthy because you're a <insert classification here>.  Otherwise, we would have to actually think about what other you're saying.

• Thanks 1

On 3/17/2021 at 6:42 AM, Renegade said:

Minority rule has to go;   But, up to now, the Plutocracy has been keeping it in place.   There are signs that the rise of Trumpist politicians who are driven by conspiracy theories, will sour Big Money on Republicans.  But it's far from clear that this is a permanent situation.  The Democratic Party is also problematic for Wall St. because of the rising number of Progressives.  So the shakeout from the recent chaos in Washington is still hanging in the balance.

If the Democrats really could get rid of the filibuster and pass a reasonably unpolluted version of HR1, it would be the the beginning of the end of the
Republican Party as we know it.  Reinstating the standing, talking filibuster is better than nothing but it's not enough.  The anti-Constitutional filibuster has to go altogether;  Because minority rule is not an option in a Democratic-Republic.

Yes Democrats can use the filibuster also but we all know that when it comes to abuse, Republicans are miles ahead.  This has been true for everything that can be abused, like gerrymandering.

Since the election, Republican state legislatures have passed dozens of laws suppressing the vote;  And Republican lawyers have gone before the Supreme Court arguing that without voter suppression, they wouldn't have a fair chance.  Perhaps this would be a legitimate fairness argument for a schoolyard but not a democratic-republic.  The SC however, is now packed with Conservatives who might take that argument seriously.

The Republican Party is like a house of cards but so far, with Plutocratic help, it has remained remarkably stable !  Despite the extent of gerrymandering in Republican States, they still have trouble getting a majority in the House !  And Republican's 24/7/365 noise machine notwithstanding, The Democratic Party holds the numeric majority of the votes !

14 hours ago, bludog said:
If the Democrats really could get rid of the filibuster and pass a reasonably unpolluted version of HR1, it would be the the beginning of the end of the
Republican Party as we know it. 

I believe that's a true statement.  If a better party takes its place, then that would obviously be a good thing.  

But, what if no party takes its place?  Is that even a possibility?  

8 hours ago, Renegade said:

I believe that's a true statement.  If a better party takes its place, then that would obviously be a good thing.  

But, what if no party takes its place?  Is that even a possibility?  

The Republican Party is not going away.  The new Far Right radicalism along with the absurd conspiracy theories driving it is also a cult of personality, devoted to Trump.  This extreme radicalism, which now has some representation in both houses, is no longer committed, necessarily, to Wall St, Corporations or the top 1%.  This is why a significant portion of Big Money is now being channeled to Democrats.

Even more telling, Trumpism proved not durable enough to win the last election !  When money talks, it often gets its way.  In the long run, without Trump, the GOP will probably revert to form and routinely write legislation in return for legalized bribes.

But if, in the meanwhile, the filibuster goes away and HR1 passes, the playing filed will have been levelled, at least enough for the Democratic Party to be more responsive to their electorate.  But to fully restore Representative Government, we need to eliminate gerrymandering, the Electoral College and repeal Citizen's United, at the very least.

Will ANY of these things actually happen?  

19 hours ago, bludog said:

The new Far Right radicalism along with the absurd conspiracy theories driving it is also a cult of personality, devoted to Trump.

This "cult of personality" is beyond my understanding.  I can usually understand how a person comes to their beliefs, even if I disagree with them.  I used to think I understood Republicans (and even agreed with them on some issues).  But, I have no idea how they came to love Trump or why they continue to support him.  Even if a person supported every single position he took, how could they select Trump as the standard-bearer for those positions?  His personal shortcomings (an understatement, I know) so completely undermine his credibility that I believe he does more damage than good to the causes he supports.  So, why do they love him?  I don't get it.

Even more telling, Trumpism proved not durable enough to win the last election !

Thankfully.  But it was closer than it should have been.  Usually when a Presidential nominee is defeated they don't get to try again.  Was Adlai Stevenson the last to get a second chance?  Yet, it seems like the Republicans are inexorably bound to nominate Trump again in 2024.  That's unfathomable to me.  That would be bad for the Republicans and bad for the country, regardless of whether or not he could or would win.  

But if, in the meanwhile, the filibuster goes away and HR1 passes, the playing filed will have been levelled, at least enough for the Democratic Party to be more responsive to their electorate.  But to fully restore Representative Government, we need to eliminate gerrymandering, the Electoral College and repeal Citizen's United, at the very least.

I'm a traditionalist.  If something has worked for a very long time, I have a hard time believing it suddenly stopped working without any changes.  The 'filibuster' is really just a rule that says it takes 60 votes to end discussion.  Certainly that slows progress.  Certainly it puts a restriction on the ability of a slim majority to make changes.  It's not a big deal to me either way, but I tend to prefer checks and balances.  If Democrats end the filibuster today, they won't have it the next time Republicans are in charge.  Requiring 60 votes helps to prevent the whipsaw effect whenever a new party takes power.  In normal times, it encourages more bipartisan legislation.  I don't see how continuing under the same rules and laws that we enacted before constitutes a disaster. 

Gerrymandering?  Absolutely and unequivocally a bad thing.  It might be tricky to stamp out, but I really hope they can do it.  

Residing in a low-population state, I have appreciation for the Electoral College.  Without it, I'm afraid that the Presidential candidates of both parties would have no concern for rural issues.  States in "flyover country" risk becoming more like colonies of the big cities to be exploited for resources. 

On 3/22/2021 at 12:02 PM, bludog said:

The Republican Party is not going away.  The new Far Right radicalism along with the absurd conspiracy theories driving it is also a cult of personality, devoted to Trump.  This extreme radicalism, which now has some representation in both houses, is no longer committed, necessarily, to Wall St, Corporations or the top 1%.  This is why a significant portion of Big Money is now being channeled to Democrats.

Even more telling, Trumpism proved not durable enough to win the last election !  When money talks, it often gets its way.  In the long run, without Trump, the GOP will probably revert to form and routinely write legislation in return for legalized bribes.

The republican party as we all knew it is gone.   trump has completely destroyed what used to be a fairly good party, but it's gone now.   It's still amazing to me that the GOP stood by and watched a con man come in and take over.   Say what you want, but that is why party boss's still need control over who gets a nomination.   By the time trump gets done, there will be no republican party left to resurrect.   And once that happens the Democrats will finally get to do what we've always wanted to do, and that's move permanently far to the left.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Renegade said:

This "cult of personality" is beyond my understanding.  I can usually understand how a person comes to their beliefs, even if I disagree with them.  I used to think I understood Republicans (and even agreed with them on some issues).  But, I have no idea how they came to love Trump or why they continue to support him.  Even if a person supported every single position he took, how could they select Trump as the standard-bearer for those positions?  His personal shortcomings (an understatement, I know) so completely undermine his credibility that I believe he does more damage than good to the causes he supports.  So, why do they love him?  I don't get it.

Here's what I think, FWIW:

Trump has zero appeal for me either.  He is a vile, obnoxious con artist who's entire focus is on "what's in it for me".  He hides behind a gaudy, hairpiece and a heavy layer of conspicuous makeup, like a clown .....  What normal person does this?  It is a declaration of perfidy even before the first word is spoken. 

Trump has no loyalty to anyone other than himself but places loyalty as the most important characteristic for an underling.  And to gratify himself, he's comfortable abusing others .....  From having children ripped from the arms of their mothers, to violent insurrection.    Basically, he is a cruel, malignant person.

Do his constituents know this?  Mostly they do;  And they glory in it.  But if confronted, most will say something like "he is a fine person", in the spirit of deception their leader affects, all the time.  Many of his supporters have adopted Trump's dishonest personality as a role model for themselves.  It's one of the best ways ever to "stick it to the libs"

Trump voters wanted someone that could give "the libs" fits. (The libs being -mostly- those non-plutocrats who managed to succeed in this economy.)  They love it that Trump's entire persona, from his bizarre appearance to pathological lying, drive the libs nuts.

We're in a time where the 54% of the people with IQs between 80 and 105 (dull normals) are marginalized. They used to get good union jobs. No more. Now, to get anything like a good job you need a degree or two in a STEM field, or in a business field, or at least have some technical training. Or at least be able to write intelligently. Lots of dull normals can't handle that and/or can't see the point of putting in the work to learn.

They resent those who do and can; and realize that they're being looked down on. They have examples of denigration: "deplorables" (Clinton), "cling to guns and religion" (Obama).   More examples all over television, because the writers usually exceed dull normals but lack empathy.

Whenever a class gets criticized on, that's what they take pride in. Donald Trump knew that and played them. That's the kind of thing at which a conman excels.

Biden doesn't look down on them. That's a plus. We'll see how that turns out, if he can win then over.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, OneGoodLiberal said:

The republican party as we all knew it is gone.   trump has completely destroyed what used to be a fairly good party, but it's gone now.   It's still amazing to me that the GOP stood by and watched a con man come in and take over.   Say what you want, but that is why party boss's still need control over who gets a nomination.   By the time trump gets done, there will be no republican party left to resurrect.   And once that happens the Democrats will finally get to do what we've always wanted to do, and that's move permanently far to the left.

This is my hope also.  But up to now, Republicans have been ruthless at enforcing minority rule and when push came to shove, Democrats have lacked the backbone to respond in kind.  

So far, Congressional Democrats are talking tough about repealing the filibuster.  But their actions are what count, in the end.  The filibuster is worth repealing because historically, Republicans have abused it far more than Democrats.  The Founder's intention was for majority rule.  That is what the Constitution demands.  And the existence of the filibuster directly defies the Constitution.

A big problem is that to get reelected, Democrats depend on Big Money almost as much as Republicans.  This can have a suffocating effect on their resolve, when it comes to opposing the will of those who fund them.  We badly need Campaign Finance Reform, starting with the repeal of Citizen's United.

Minority rule, which is contrary to everything this country is supposed to stand for, must end.

• Thumb up 1

17 hours ago, bludog said:
They resent those who do and can; and realize that they're being looked down on. They have examples of denigration: "deplorables" (Clinton), "cling to guns and religion" (Obama).   More examples all over television, because the writers usually exceed dull normals but lack empathy.

Whenever a class gets criticized on, that's what they take pride in. Donald Trump knew that and played them. That's the kind of thing at which a conman excels.

Biden doesn't look down on them. That's a plus. We'll see how that turns out, if he can win then over.

Insightful. 

If Biden is to win them over, I think he needs our help.  He needs us to show more empathy.  We need to pull people in rather than push them away (driving them into the arms of conmen) with hateful criticism.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Renegade said:

Insightful. 

If Biden is to win them over, I think he needs our help.  He needs us to show more empathy.  We need to pull people in rather than push them away (driving them into the arms of conmen) with hateful criticism.  

Another thing we can do is elect Democratic officials eager to pass laws which encourage the formation and successful operation of labor unions.  Without economic prosperity people feel alienated and resentful;  Which is one of the major reasons for the rise of Trumpism.  

14 hours ago, bludog said:

Another thing we can do is elect Democratic officials eager to pass laws which encourage the formation and successful operation of labor unions.  Without economic prosperity people feel alienated and resentful;  Which is one of the major reasons for the rise of Trumpism.  

That prosperity also needs to be more widely experienced.  We should be prepared to accept less overall GDP growth in exchange for the benefits of growth being spread to more people.  I believe many Democrat policies are harmful to overall growth.  But, if those policies don't completely kill growth while at the same time letting more people benefit, then that would be a good thing.  Further, It's even possible that there could be a feedback loop where more people having decent income drives increased overall growth.  That would make the downside of Democratic economic policies just a short term 'cost' to be paid for across the board long term benefits.

It's also entirely possible that, by going it alone, the Democrats will go too far and wreck the economy with inflation and unemployment.  Perhaps that's a reasonable risk to take under the circumstances, but it's also unnecessary.  I really wish the two parties would work together on solutions.  Unfortunately, I don't think bipartisanship will happen again in my lifetime.  Biden was my last hope.  

• 4 weeks later...

Ban the whole lot of them. Cream puff Casper Milqutoasts with two ton chips on their shoulders, just waiting for an excuse to attack and insult the first Dem that speaks his mind. Yet they scream like wounded banshees if a Dem dares to come back at them. Republican rubbish one and all.