For Electric Car Makers, This Battery Breakthrough Could Change Everything

The number one barrier to the adoption of electric vehicles is no longer cost, it is range anxiety,” said Doron Myersdorf, CEO of StoreDot. “You’re either afraid that you’re going to get stuck on the highway or you’re going to need to sit in a charging station for two hours. But if the experience of the driver is exactly like fuelling [a petrol car], this whole anxiety goes away.”

https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2021/01/for-electric-car-adoption-this-battery-breakthrough-could-change-everything/

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How old are you 13? Maybe you'll change your mind when you get out of Mom's basement.

LOL, Slidey    

Electric cars are for faggots ... like you.   I wont drive anything that doesn't piss people off, because it is so loud when I start it.   Flowmaster and Vance & Hines mother f

2 hours ago, slideman said:

The number one barrier to the adoption of electric vehicles is no longer cost, it is range anxiety,” said Doron Myersdorf, CEO of StoreDot. “You’re either afraid that you’re going to get stuck on the highway or you’re going to need to sit in a charging station for two hours. But if the experience of the driver is exactly like fuelling [a petrol car], this whole anxiety goes away.”

https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2021/01/for-electric-car-adoption-this-battery-breakthrough-could-change-everything/

Electric cars are for faggots ... like you.

I wont drive anything that doesn't piss people off, because it is so loud when I start it.

Flowmaster and Vance & Hines mother fuckers!

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, whiteboy said:

Electric cars are for faggots ... like you.

I wont drive anything that doesn't piss people off, because it is so loud when I start it.

Flowmaster and Vance & Hines mother fuckers!

How old are you 13? Maybe you'll change your mind when you get out of Mom's basement.

• Fuck you! 2
  • Thumb up 2
8 hours ago, slideman said:

Whats weird about this is that Panasonic had this technology figured out over a decade ago.  The problem is that it leads to batteries wearing out too fast.   

• Thumb up 1
9 hours ago, slideman said:

meh

EVs already being adopted at a record rate

The tipping point has been passed. 

9 hours ago, slideman said:

From your link...

"Electric vehicles are a vital part of action to tackle the climate crisis"

Sure, if the electricity used to charge said electric cars comes from so-called green energy sources. 

1 minute ago, teacher said:

From your link...

"Electric vehicles are a vital part of action to tackle the climate crisis"

Sure, if the electricity used to charge said electric cars comes from so-called green energy sources. 

At this point, natural gas is a pretty damn green source of energy, so EVs  probably are a net benefit if we are looking at emissions.   Personally I think its unnecessary, but if people want to think it is, to each his own.  

4 minutes ago, crazyhole said:

At this point, natural gas is a pretty damn green source of energy, so EVs  probably are a net benefit if we are looking at emissions. 

Sure. I just looked up the exact number.  Natural gas makes up 38.4% of domestic energy production. 80% fossil fuels overall. Of course ChinaJoe is going after natural gas production. Realistically our best bet is for friggin every body to have solar panels and charge your electric car at home but then the dirty little secret is that the utilities for years have been lobbying against solar and both sides are guilty of suppressing that. 

2 minutes ago, teacher said:

Sure. I just looked up the exact number.  Natural gas makes up 38.4% of domestic energy production. 80% fossil fuels overall. Of course ChinaJoe is going after natural gas production. Realistically our best bet is for friggin every body to have solar panels and charge your electric car at home but then the dirty little secret is that the utilities for years have been lobbying against solar and both sides are guilty of suppressing that. 

There are tons of issues with that.   First, no gas means no gas tax that goes to maintaining our roads, so they have to figure out how else to fund it.   More difficult to address though is that if everybody has their own solar array, it will mean less dollars going to utility companies that maintain and update the electric grid.    That'll make electricity WAY more expensive for high-use customers that can't rely on solar energy for their needs.   It seems to me that these are the kinds of issues that the market will figure out as time progresses.  Forcing the issue ahead of its time is asking for chaos.  

• Thumb up 1
14 minutes ago, crazyhole said:

There are tons of issues with that.   First, no gas means no gas tax that goes to maintaining our roads, so they have to figure out how else to fund it.   More difficult to address though is that if everybody has their own solar array, it will mean less dollars going to utility companies that maintain and update the electric grid.    That'll make electricity WAY more expensive for high-use customers that can't rely on solar energy for their needs.   It seems to me that these are the kinds of issues that the market will figure out as time progresses.  Forcing the issue ahead of its time is asking for chaos.  

As to the gas tax Washington State charges me around $320 a year in lieu of the gas tax for my electric vehicle

14 minutes ago, crazyhole said:

Would you then be for legislation penalizing citizens for installing solar and buying electric cars? 

23 minutes ago, crazyhole said:

I did an exhaustive study on just this concept in grad school. More electric cars equates to less gas tax and so on. I will skip to the end but the main finding was that it would unduly put the burden on lower income earners who almost inevitably drive less fuel efficient cars. 

5 minutes ago, teacher said:

Would you then be for legislation penalizing citizens for installing solar and buying electric cars? 

Nope.   I'm just saying that it will be an issue that will have to be addressed somehow.  If we want roads and an electric grid, we have to be able to fund them.   Its something that I don't think many of the people in the green movement take into consideration. 

4 minutes ago, crazyhole said:

Nope.   

Good for you. Nuttin keeping citizens from installing solar power and charging their electric cars at home for free. I tend to look for solutions to problems without the heavy hand of Mother government.

I'm just saying that it will be an issue that will have to be addressed somehow.  If we want roads and an electric grid, we have to be able to fund them.   Its something that I don't think many of the people in the green movement take into consideration.

8 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

I did an exhaustive study on just this concept in grad school. More electric cars equates to less gas tax and so on. I will skip to the end but the main finding was that it would unduly put the burden on lower income earners who almost inevitably drive less fuel efficient cars. 

Try this. Ask google...

Does the tax gas pay for roads? 

Now try and find the Mother government tax on gas take vs. how much does it cost Mother government for building and upkeep of roads. Maybe toss in tolls. Kinda like that old wives tale that Mother government would use the process of lotteries to pay for schools. Fact of the matter that all this goes right into the general fund and these fu(k politicians use that cash for their own special interests. I say that if the gas tax was only used for roads our streets could be paved with gold.    

Just now, teacher said:

Good for you. Nuttin keeping citizens from installing solar power and charging their electric cars at home for free. I tend to look for solutions to problems without the heavy hand of Mother government.

Try this. Ask google...

Does the tax gas pay for roads? 

Now try and find the Mother government tax on gas take vs. how much does it cost Mother government for building and upkeep of roads. Maybe toss in tolls. Kinda like that old wives tale that Mother government would use the process of lotteries to pay for schools. Fact of the matter that all this goes right into the general fund and these fu(k politicians use that cash for their own special interests. I say that if the gas tax was only used for roads our streets could be paved with gold.    

In my state, the state gas tax goes into a separate fund and it is only used on roads.  Its one of the few taxes that I dont take issue with.  I question how DOR prioritizes that money, but thats a separate issue.  

10 hours ago, slideman said:

What is rarely mentioned is the cost (economically and environmentally) of the manufacture and disposal of batteries. Does quite a bit to offset the supposed "benefits" of electric vehicles.

What about natural gas for fleet vehicles around the US and the rest of the world. Clean, efficient and safe with plenty of supply.

30 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

see my post above concerning the gas tax and electric vehicles in Washington State

3 minutes ago, crazyhole said:

In my state, the state gas tax goes into a separate fund and it is only used on roads. 

Interesting. What state? Dox yourself. And does your state have all these numbers broken down and available? Take me, I live in NY. Tolls everywhere and the bridge tolls are killer. Vs. say Montana with a huge state and low populace.

Its one of the few taxes that I dont take issue with.  I question how DOR prioritizes that money, but thats a separate issue.

How about this, look at this from the view of the left and man made global warming and what they say climate change is gonna cost us so Shirley not having to save the planet is gonna be cheaper than losing the gas tax. 

6 minutes ago, superds77 said:

What is rarely mentioned is the cost (economically and environmentally) of the manufacture and disposal of batteries. Does quite a bit to offset the supposed "benefits" of electric vehicles.

What about natural gas for fleet vehicles around the US and the rest of the world. Clean, efficient and safe with plenty of supply.

Well, then I just go to my hydrogen gas idea...

teacher-3-51.png

https://www.liberalforum.org/topic/22244-and-the-horse-you-rode-in-on/?do=findComment&comment=1058941577

Of should I have led with that? 

3 minutes ago, teacher said:

Interesting. What state? Dox yourself. And does your state have all these numbers broken down and available? Take me, I live in NY. Tolls everywhere and the bridge tolls are killer. Vs. say Montana with a huge state and low populace.

How about this, look at this from the view of the left and man made global warming and what they say climate change is gonna cost us so Shirley not having to save the planet is gonna be cheaper than losing the gas tax. 

Well, then I just go to my hydrogen gas idea...

teacher-3-51.png

https://www.liberalforum.org/topic/22244-and-the-horse-you-rode-in-on/?do=findComment&comment=1058941577

Of should I have led with that? 

Not quite Montana, but its a pretty rural state that has a lot of highways.   Our gas tax is right around the median national average, so its not terrible, and we actually supplement our roads funding out of the general fund.    I'd prefer we added some toll booths but its pretty impractical.   

39 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

Only if the states raise the tax gas to make up for lost revenues due to electric cars. But then I have a saying about taxes...

flow-chart-1-3.png

"Well, then I just go to my hydrogen gas idea..."  

Honda had this nailed about 10 years ago with their "Home Power Pack" but it never caught on.    Great for a commuter vehicle but impractical for long trips because there is no infrastructure to support it.    Personally, I think instead of dumping money into wind turbines and solar tech, the government would have been better served to use that money to help gas stations add both hydrogen and CNG dispensers.  

7 hours ago, slideman said:

It won't change the fact that all you are doing is trading in one form of pollution for another ....

Under the guise of environmentalism ....