The Mob Violence On January 6th

19 hours ago, SpyCar said:

Trumpism is a movement based on racism, bigotry, and the celebration of ignorance mixed with political violence and authoritarian impulses.

One can not deny reality. There is nothing remotely "normal" about this movement. That's a reasoned judgement, with all due respect. Even sane members of the Republican party understand that truth.

I'm a Biden Democrat and embrace the idea of bipartisanship when one has a principled opposition (in whole or in part).

But we have a unique situation here. We simply cannot accommodate or normalize Trumpism. That needs to be a very clear message and not one we pretend to sweep away.

Bill

I'm not trying to "normalize Trumpism".  I'm trying to normalize the people who voted for Trump.  I want to bring them (as many as possible) back to normalcy.   Most Trump voters are not racist or bigoted and they certainly don't celebrate ignorance.  If you ask them, they'll tell you those characteristics are more closely associated with the Democrats. 

Why would they believe that?  Their leaders tell them that...and...Democrats refuse to engage with them to prove the narrative false.   That belief is false.  But, with a dialogue that consists of yelling at them and calling them names, Democrats just confirm Republican opinions.  "See?  See how nasty they are?  See how they aren't even able to have a civil conversation?"  And Democrat leaders tell their followers the same things. 

"Conflict drives turnout!   It'll help us win elections!" the leaders say.  They might as well also say "I don't care that this is destroying the country."

News media amplify the hate.  You can tune in to CNN and see hour after hour of bad Republicans and then you can tune in to Fox and see hour after hour of bad Democrats.  "It drives ratings.  Viewers love it!"  they reason.  Never mind about the fate of our country.  News media focus on the worst parts of America and refuse to acknowledge good on 'the other side'.

The most ridiculous part is that Democrats and Republicans want the same things.  We all want to live safe, healthy, prosperous, and free.   All we're really fighting over is how to do it.  For the average Republican voter, their motives are as pure as ours.  Some may support bad policies, either though ignorance or different priorities, but voters for neither side want a failed country.

We can either win hearts and minds to rebuild civility and trust or we can escalate the conflict and destroy it.   Reasoned engagement is not surrender while escalation only leads to more death and destruction. 

Did you read the snippet from the Erasmus article?   Isn't it obvious that we're now in the beginning of a 'religious' war between liberals and conservatives?   People need to understand that there is nothing "normal" about the current state of our politics and that applies to Democrats as well as Republicans.  

Sadly, Erasmus failed and was despised by both sides.  Look how that turned out.

4 hours ago, Renegade said:

I'm not trying to "normalize Trumpism".  I'm trying to normalize the people who voted for Trump.  I want to bring them (as many as possible) back to normalcy.   Most Trump voters are not racist or bigoted and they certainly don't celebrate ignorance.  If you ask them, they'll tell you those characteristics are more closely associated with the Democrats. 

Why would they believe that?  Their leaders tell them that...and...Democrats refuse to engage with them to prove the narrative false.   That belief is false.  But, with a dialogue that consists of yelling at them and calling them names, Democrats just confirm Republican opinions.  "See?  See how nasty they are?  See how they aren't even able to have a civil conversation?"  And Democrat leaders tell their followers the same things. 

"Conflict drives turnout!   It'll help us win elections!" the leaders say.  They might as well also say "I don't care that this is destroying the country."

News media amplify the hate.  You can tune in to CNN and see hour after hour of bad Republicans and then you can tune in to Fox and see hour after hour of bad Democrats.  "It drives ratings.  Viewers love it!"  they reason.  Never mind about the fate of our country.  News media focus on the worst parts of America and refuse to acknowledge good on 'the other side'.

The most ridiculous part is that Democrats and Republicans want the same things.  We all want to live safe, healthy, prosperous, and free.   All we're really fighting over is how to do it.  For the average Republican voter, their motives are as pure as ours.  Some may support bad policies, either though ignorance or different priorities, but voters for neither side want a failed country.

We can either win hearts and minds to rebuild civility and trust or we can escalate the conflict and destroy it.   Reasoned engagement is not surrender while escalation only leads to more death and destruction. 

Did you read the snippet from the Erasmus article?   Isn't it obvious that we're now in the beginning of a 'religious' war between liberals and conservatives?   People need to understand that there is nothing "normal" about the current state of our politics and that applies to Democrats as well as Republicans.  

Sadly, Erasmus failed and was despised by both sides.  Look how that turned out.

We share a desire to see conservatives return to sanity. Trumpism is built on a foundation of bigotry, populism, violence, and reality-denial. It isn't sane.

We don't get to sanity by pretending otherwise. 

It is up to sane Republicans to recapture their party. Right now it is a Trumpist party in large measure. And that's a shame.

Bill

• Upvote 2