Guests feel free to register and post ×
WELCOME NEW MEMBERS AND GUESTS FEEL FREE TO REGISTER AND POST ×
WELCOME NEW MEMBERS AND GUESTS ×

How many admins/mods know of posters w/ multiple accounts?

A couple yrs back, I had an office IT guy check a few accounts & informed me there were (at the time) multiple accounts tied to multiple posters.

Do any admins/mods have the power to confirm?

13 hours ago, jrock2310 said:

A couple yrs back, I had an office IT guy check a few accounts & informed me there were (at the time) multiple accounts tied to multiple posters.

They sure do. 

14 hours ago, jrock2310 said:

Yep

15 hours ago, jrock2310 said:

Nope !

But they'll bend over to have you believe they can.

28 minutes ago, kfools said:

Why do u care?

Trolls. 

I’ve noticed a pattern when a topic is exhausted by one poster, another poster often chimes in w/ familiar rhetoric.  
The site would be infinitely better if each poster was only granted one account of which to operate.  As owner of the site, it seems only fitting that you would want good-faith posters.  

Granted, the popular thread is ‘no holds barred’, which is fine on its face.  But even NHB has its rules & regulations.  It boggles the mind how trolls or fake accounts are tolerated.  It takes away from the spirit/sincerity of the board.  It’s just not a good look, IMO.  

It also gives a false appearance of popularity/relevance.  I have to imagine if trolls were weeded out, we’re perhaps talking a significantly lower number of members/accounts.  

I dunno... just an observation of mine.  It’s not my board.  You’re free to run it how you want.

• Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, JinnMartini said:

Nope !

But they'll bend over to have you believe they can.

Maybe... but I know from my office IT that it’s certainly not impossible.  

I’m no tech head, but I recall him saying just look for matching IP’s or something.

I dunno 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

• Thumb up 1

15 hours ago, jrock2310 said:

1 hour ago, Old Mack said:

BTW: Can you wipe out any extra ID's I might have ? (Not NHB)

12 minutes ago, Old Mack said:

Not NHBHQ (as authorized by the fool)

The ONLY way they can  "detect"  a sock  is  .  .  .  by recognizing the writing style, punctuation and syntax  .  .  .  call it the  "virtual personality" !

And even then, it's still a gamble if they're banning the sock of an existing user  .  .  .  or a completely new member  .  .  .  who will have no clue as to WHY THE FUCK  he was banned ! 

3 minutes ago, jrock2310 said:

.  .  .  but I recall him saying just look for matching IP’s or something.

No  "or something" !

IP matching    WOULD   be the only infallible way !

But that  is  also their limitation !

7 minutes ago, JinnMartini said:

...by recognizing the writing style, punctuation and syntax.... 

I use to post @ another political MB. There was a guy who had two IDs...one lib and one con. I figured out it was him because he spell the same wrong. When I started looking close I could really start  pick stuff out. (like I use ... all the time kind of stuff)

As far as syntax...WTF is that and how do you spell it ?

12 minutes ago, jrock2310 said:

Maybe... but I know from my office IT that it’s certainly not impossible.  

I’m no tech head, but I recall him saying just look for matching IP’s or something.

I dunno 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Every board that I've been a mod on allows you to see IP addresses.   One allowed you to search using it and that made it pretty easy to identify soks.

8 minutes ago, jrock2310 said:

I recall him saying just look for matching IP’s or something.

Then again, why go to all the trouble of making up a new  "persona"  unless one is banned but wants to continue posting on a site ?

And then again  .  .  .  it'd probably work with huge sites with perhaps 100.000 f+  forums and  a million posters, where it would be time-consuming and pretty expensive, qua men-hours !

It wouldn't work good for a tiny site like this one where the boss would be happy with around 50 members being online daily !

Much less with the eagle-eye of Lucy !

4 minutes ago, crazyhole said:

Every board that I've been a mod on allows you to see IP addresses.   

One allowed you to search using it and that made it pretty easy to identify soks.

That is 100% correct.

However  .  .  .   that's about it too  .  .  .  

41 minutes ago, Dontlooknow said:

Cause there really can't be this many stupid people. 

Your immediate family is, proof, that there can be many many stupid people in the same place at one time.

• Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, jrock2310 said:

I’ve noticed a pattern when a topic is exhausted by one poster, another poster often chimes in w/ familiar rhetoric.  

I disagree !

For a site,  a TROLL  can be a valuable asset too !

Not in 100%  of the cases, though.

26 minutes ago, jrock2310 said:

The site would be infinitely better if each poster was only granted one account of which to operate.  

As owner of the site, it seems only fitting that you would want good-faith posters.  

Not true !

A site owner is just like a politician  .  .  .  why would one care a voter is a criminal, for instance  .  .  .  as long as he votes for him  .  .  it'd be cool !

Similarly, if a TROLL attracts  "clicks"  it'd be welcome  .  .  .  but NOT if it  PROMOTES  other sites .  .  .  then NOT, of course !