Joel Osteen caught grifting

Quite a few televangelists take advantage of people’s faith and gullibility to steal from them. It is unsurprising that this televangelist would also take a fake PPP loan from the government.  We can’t really derive anything about Christianity from the conduct of this individual.

The  lesson, to me, is that one needs to be wary of sending money to individuals who live lavish lifestyles on the backs of donations. Currently one such individual is the president of the United States who has raised hundreds of millions from the lie that the presidential election was stolen from him. 

• Thumb up 1
3 minutes ago, Olivaw said:

Quite a few televangelists take advantage of people’s faith and gullibility to steal from them. It is unsurprising that this televangelist would also take a fake PPP loan from the government.  We can’t really derive anything about Christianity from the conduct of this individuals.

Its not even a fake loan.   Its totally legit under the law that he received it.    That's what makes this so infuriating to me and why we will have and need to have a populist movement that stands up against this shit.   

3 minutes ago, crazyhole said:

Its not even a fake loan.   Its totally legit under the law that he received it.    That's what makes this so infuriating to me and why we will have and need to have a populist movement that stands up against this shit.   

Well it won't be a billionaire that is all about grifting to himself and it won't be a party that is all about bailing out billionaires. 

3 minutes ago, crazyhole said:

Agreed.

It’s also infuriating he took it. 

I have a friend that I basically cut ties with this summer over this whole deal.     He's a business owner and FWIW is a pretty liberal guy.     We got to talking about the whole stimulus deal and he told me that he's applied for every dime he is legally able to receive and said I should too.    I asked if his business was struggling, and he said his numbers had been up but if the money is there you may as well take it.  

I'm sorry, but that is total horseshit.  If you aren't struggling you have no fucking business taking money that other people could use to survive.   Sorry to rant, but this whole thing just pisses me off, and now we are on to round number 2.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, crazyhole said:

I have a friend that I basically cut ties with this summer over this whole deal.     He's a business owner and FWIW is a pretty liberal guy.     We got to talking about the whole stimulus deal and he told me that he's applied for every dime he is legally able to receive and said I should too.    I asked if his business was struggling, and he said his numbers had been up but if the money is there you may as well take it.  

I'm sorry, but that is total horseshit.  If you aren't struggling you have no fucking business taking money that other people could use to survive.   Sorry to rant, but this whole thing just pisses me off, and now we are on to round number 2.  

But the money was supposed to help big business keep people employed. They had no rules in the law that you couldn't fire or lay off your employees after taking the money. It's shitty legal work. Most businesses took the money and layed off their employees anyways. 

• Thumb up 1
3 minutes ago, Pastafarian said:

Agreed.

It’s also infuriating he took it. 

Oh, don't even get me started on the gospel of economic prosperity.   I'm a Christian and condemn that whole practice.    It paints the entire faith in a light that undermines every tenet of what it is actually about.    Osteen and his ilk will have to answer for this kind of heresy, hopefully in this life and the next.  

• Thumb up 2
3 minutes ago, Dontlooknow said:

But the money was supposed to help big business keep people employed. They had no rules in the law that you couldn't fire or lay off your employees after taking the money. It's shitty legal work. Most businesses took the money and layed off their employees anyways. 

Oh yeah, and what's even worse is the fact that banks got a fucking cut out of it for processing the applications.   Like they needed more money when they are loaning it out above prime while having a 0% rate.    It used to just be the credit cards that were raping their customers, now the commercial banks can do it as well.   

1 hour ago, crazyhole said:

No, his sermons are really good.   Thats the problem.    He's selling a fake bill of goods that people desperately want to believe in and he does it masterfully.    It's all about how God wants to bless you, which is true, but he equates that with money and happiness.    Its false doctrine on the level of the anti-christ.   

Well put. 

3 hours ago, Pastafarian said:

Joel Osteen caught grifting yet Christians call atheist morally bankrupt.

In a unrelated story:

Is Africa overtaking the Middle East as the new jihadist battleground while ultraliberals obsess about Christians in America ?

https://news.yahoo.com/africa-overtaking-middle-east-jihadist-151114909.html

In a related story: Prison radicalization is one of the most pressing domestic threats the United States currently faces and is not a new phenomenon. Kevin Lamar James, originally incarcerated in 1996 for gang-related armed robbery, recruited and planned a major domestic terror attack from his jail cell in California in the early 2000s. James was convicted of recruiting more than a dozen prisoners into his self-made terror group, Jam’iyyat Ul-Islam Is-Saheeh, and plotting to bomb several military bases, synagogues, and the Israeli consulate in Los Angeles.

2 hours ago, Dontlooknow said:

It worked exactly as it was designed to work

• Thumb up 1
10 hours ago, Old Mack said:

In a unrelated story:

Is Africa overtaking the Middle East as the new jihadist battleground while ultraliberals obsess about Christians in America ?

https://news.yahoo.com/africa-overtaking-middle-east-jihadist-151114909.html

In a related story: Prison radicalization is one of the most pressing domestic threats the United States currently faces and is not a new phenomenon. Kevin Lamar James, originally incarcerated in 1996 for gang-related armed robbery, recruited and planned a major domestic terror attack from his jail cell in California in the early 2000s. James was convicted of recruiting more than a dozen prisoners into his self-made terror group, Jam’iyyat Ul-Islam Is-Saheeh, and plotting to bomb several military bases, synagogues, and the Israeli consulate in Los Angeles.

Start your own thread. 

13 hours ago, Pastafarian said:

Yet Christians call atheists morally bankrupt. 

He also wouldn't open up his church for displaced families after Hurricane Harvey ... until he got called out on it, then acted like it was his idea to open it.

He also brings in trash like Kanye West to support him, and drive up attendance so he gets more "donations".

Everyone's just running a game in this world ...

• Upvote 1