What is "Spamming"?

rippy38

As defined by the rule...

1. a. No Spamming (spamming is posting the same thing over and over again in a manner that disrupts the thread and/or the board).

I would like to propose a few points of clarification simply for continuity across the board.

What I see as "spam" in this setting (this forum) is as follows.

• Repeatedly posting the same memes, videos, or text either in the same thread or across multiple threads in quick succession, or a relatively short period of time.

• Repeatedly asking the same question or making the same point (even if worded differently each time) over and over, whether it's relevant to the topic being discussed or not... especially when the behavior is targeted towards the same member.

• Flooding page 1 with old topics by "bumping" them to the top in rapid succession. I propose a max of five "bumped" threads in a 24 hour period, just like creating new threads.

• Posting "wallpaper" thread topics or replies that are huge volumes of text and/or mimic the source page in it's entirety, including ads or other links that are irrelevant to the information of the story or article being presented.

Just a couple of thoughts... please discuss at your leisure.

@SpyCar

@lucifershammer

@kfools

7 minutes ago, rippy38 said:

1. a. No Spamming (spamming is posting the same thing over and over again in a manner that disrupts the thread and/or the board).

I would like to propose a few points of clarification simply for continuity across the board.

• Repeatedly posting the same memes, videos, or text either in the same thread or across multiple threads in quick succession, or a relatively short period of time.
  • yes

• Repeatedly asking the same question or making the same point (even if worded differently each time) over and over, whether it's relevant to the topic being discussed or not... especially when the behavior is targeted towards the same member.
  • Gray area

• Flooding page 1 with old topics by "bumping" them to the top in rapid succession. I propose a max of five "bumped" threads in a 24 hour period, just like creating new threads.
  • No . It's not really an issue

• Posting "wallpaper" thread topics or replies that are huge volumes of text and/or mimic the source page in it's entirety, including ads or other links that are irrelevant to the information of the story or article being presented.
  • Yes

@SpyCar

@lucifershammer

@kfools

9 minutes ago, rippy38 said:

@SpyCar

@lucifershammer

@kfools

Also kfools doesn't particularly want to be bothered with the day to day problems of the site . That's what I'm here for.

43 minutes ago, lucifershammer said:

Also kfools doesn't particularly want to be bothered with the day to day problems of the site . That's what I'm here for.

I almost didn't tag him on this... lol

I will refrain in the future.

As for flooding the board with bumps, I agree that it isn't really an issue, but it has come up in the past. Just brought it up for clarification.

I don't think the two warnings Benson was given for "spamming" are justified.

He posted links that are germane to de-bunking lies and conspiracy theories.

That should not be punishable on this forum IMO.

The warnings give the appearance of "targeting" a member IMO even if they were not intended that way.

We've allowed dozens of threads making bogus and false claims about election fraud--including a pinned thread--and posting evidence of the falsity twice doesn't disrupt the board in mt estimation.

I'd ask that those warning be rescinded. 

Bill

7 minutes ago, rippy38 said:

He wasn't warned for content, but how it was presented... it was spam.

I disagree. As I've expressed in PMs, we have a dozen similar threads where (false) claims about election fraud are being made. Posting links that debunk those lies does not meet either of the two test of spamming which are 1) disrupting threads or 2) disrupting the boards.

These are fact based posts that provide substantive links.

It is easier to create bullshit lies than to debunk them.

Perhaps all the election fraud threads should be merged to undo the spamming going on here. Str8 starts several new ones per day, despite having a pinned thread for that discussion?

Treating fact based posts that link to reasoned debunking of false narratives should not be treated as "spam" or we will chill reasoned dissent in my estimation.

I don't think Benson's post come close to being considered spam, and they certainly don't disrupt the board or the threads they were posted in in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, lucifershammer said:

Not really  It wasn't a giant article like he normally does. But maybe he'll get the message. 

It would be a bad message if people think they will be in trouble for countering lies with links to news sources that debunk the falsehoods IMO. This is a chilling of free speech that runs precisely counter to the ethos of this forum IMO. That's a terrible outcome.

I'd appeal for these warnings to be reversed.

We can't only allow for complete nutters to have free speech on this forum.

15 minutes ago, lucifershammer said:

I disagree 

Since you disagree that the posts are spam, I'd ask that the warnings be rescinded.

Linking to credible sources when there are multiple threads on the same subject should not be considered spam. 

I'm also willing to PM Benson and ask that he cool out on the memes, if you desire.

2 minutes ago, SpyCar said:

Since you disagree that the posts are spam, I'd ask that the warnings be rescinded.

Linking to credible sources when there are multiple threads on the same subject should not be considered spam. 

I'm also willing to PM Benson and ask that he cool out on the memes, if you desire.

I agree

3 hours ago, rippy38 said:

@SpyCar

@lucifershammer

@kfools

Rippy bill had a good point so I had to side with him.

Now if benson goes back to half page responses by all means give him a rip. If necessary ask for a trip to hell.

4 minutes ago, lucifershammer said:

Rippy bill had a good point so I had to side with him.

Now if benson goes back to half page responses by all means give him a rip. If necessary ask for a trip to hell.

Bill and I discussed it in length is a PM and decided to respectfully agree to disagree, and let you make the call.

Order of business concluded.

Lol

4 minutes ago, SpyCar said:

In my estimation Nigerian commercial spammers have no place on this forum. I'm astonished that you believe otherwise.

Download Nigeria 

Download Latest Nigeria Music

So neither of you know of a poster who creates soks spams music and hates hell with a passion?

2 hours ago, lucifershammer said:

So neither of you know of a poster who creates soks spams music and hates hell with a passion?

I don't know any Nigerian-based commercial spammers who are allowed to remain on the forum.

There is a complete false equivalence between Five and the Nigerian spammer.

You want to keep a commercial spammer here, then that decision is on you.