Why do people care so much about "lies"?

Politicians have been lying since politics was invented.  I expect it.  Hell, in politics we used to simply call it spin.  It doesn't impact me because I am able to form my on opinions based on what I see, hear and read.

In business, if someone lies to you consistently you can simply choose to not do business with them (and if it is an employee...fire their ass).

In you personal life, same thing applies.  If someone constantly lies to you, ignore them and don't let yourself be around them...it is, after all, your choice.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

Well yes. Trump has lied and lied and lied some more. Spin is exaggeration, Lies are the total refutation of the truth, such as Trump University being a university, or Trump's affair  with Stormy Daniels never having occurred. 

Or Obama not even being a citizen.

He is the employee of we the people,and we have FIRED his useless ass.

43 minutes ago, BatteryPowered said:

Politicians have been lying since politics was invented.  I expect it.  Hell, in politics we used to simply call it spin.  It doesn't impact me because I am able to form my on opinions based on what I see, hear and read.

In business, if someone lies to you consistently you can simply choose to not do business with them (and if it is an employee...fire their ass).

In you personal life, same thing applies.  If someone constantly lies to you, ignore them and don't let yourself be around them...it is, after all, your choice.

It may be helpful for someone like YOU to think about lies as theft. Theft of the truth

1 minute ago, Zaro said:

Fact established truth. Facts are the same for everyone

Now you changed the word...fact is different than truth.  Truth is sometimes based on fact, but not always.

I will agree that "facts" are the same for everyone.  However, truth is subjective.

Yes, all politicians lie. What is most amazing about this is that most Americans can realize this and have simply resigned themselves to this. There are only two candidates for a given race and they both lie. Have to vote for one of them because can't be letting them Dems or Reps get their guy in so just hold your nose and vote according to the party line. 

1 hour ago, crazyhole said:

Lying doesn't turn people off as much as hypocrisy.   Thats an almost unforgivable sin.  

Whether of not something is hypocrisy depends on the person who identifies with it.

Olebush said "Read My Lips: NO MORE TAXES", and then he raised taxes.

Trump said "I would be GLAD to share my tax forms", and "I Have this wonderful healthcare plan that will be cheaper and better than Obamacare that everyone will LOVE". Then he said "No one knew that healthcare was so complicated", revealing that he never had any damn plan at all.

Somehow Trump was never punished for this hypocrisy. A large number of those that voted against him did so because he hopelessly bungled the Covid response.

3 hours ago, BatteryPowered said:

Politicians have been lying since politics was invented.  I expect it. 

Duh....

Nobody seems to have remembered this in the 90s - though, of course, in that instance lying was considered an act which defined the man's character...and fitness for high office..

3 hours ago, BatteryPowered said:

It doesn't impact me because I am able to form my on opinions based on what I see, hear and read.

But you are perfectly capable of lying to yourself....and then the Innertubes are very accommodating of cult beliefs.

4 hours ago, BatteryPowered said:

Sadly, POTUS is everywhere...

7 hours ago, XavierOnassis said:

Well yes. Trump has lied and lied and lied some more. Spin is exaggeration, Lies are the total refutation of the truth, such as Trump University being a university, or Trump's affair  with Stormy Daniels never having occurred. 

Or Obama not even being a citizen.

He is the employee of we the people,and we have FIRED his useless ass.

Why didn't we fire George Bush? The Iraq war cost trillions of dollars and millions of lives. It was based on the lie about WMDs. I think the OP's point is that talking about Stormy Daniels is like letting George Bush off the hook.

8 hours ago, BatteryPowered said:

if you realize that politicians lie then that is one thing.

Most people think their politicians dont lie.