'I don't want my country to become what California's become'

47 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

The economic and political realities that CA faces are a product of this disproportionate population. This same disproportionate population is the reality of most states out west and probably going to spread East. 

For example, 17 counties in NV and 2 of them (Clark and Washoe) contain 88.9 % of the population. To get even more specific, 25% of the land area of those two counties contains 87% of the state's population. 

That is the issue in VA.  By congressional district we are a sea of red.  We have a few population areas that control any majority vote.  Basically Northern Va, Charlottesville, Richmond and Hampton Roads.  And creative redistricting.

1 minute ago, Huey said:

That is the issue in VA.  By congressional district we are a sea of red.  We have a few population areas that control any majority vote.  Basically Northern Va, Charlottesville, Richmond and Hampton Roads.  And creative redistricting.

Would you rather be Wyoming?

26 minutes ago, Huey said:

Had not thought that VA would have this. Still, 95 counties and from what I see here (https://www.politico.com/2020-election/results/virginia/), 14 or so counties are blue. 

1 hour ago, impartialobserver said:

I draw from my experiences and vast data at my fingertips but in the west (nevada, idaho, wyoming, montana) those who live in small towns are mostly on level ground. They are all struggling along. No rich vs. poor dichotomy there. Retail, restaurants, and ranching are not industries that pay the highest wages or incomes. 

Average home price in SF.... 1.3 million

average home price in Marin County 1.26 million

Average home price in Modoc County... 137K

Average home price in Lassen County is 239K

Tell me that you can see the difference. If not, that is sad.

Ranchers in the south are rich they just don’t live in opulent homes 

1 hour ago, impartialobserver said:

Had not thought that VA would have this. Still, 95 counties and from what I see here (https://www.politico.com/2020-election/results/virginia/), 14 or so counties are blue. 

There has been a shift over the last 20 plus years.  There are a lot of transplants from MD and NYC and other northeast states.  Mostly Northern Va but the areas I mentioned as well.  They leave their states and bring their voting tendencies with them.  They vote for the policies they left.

20 minutes ago, Huey said:

There has been a shift over the last 20 plus years.  There are a lot of transplants from MD and NYC and other northeast states.  Mostly Northern Va but the areas I mentioned as well.  They leave their states and bring their voting tendencies with them.  They vote for the policies they left.

Off topic but in the office we have an unhealthy fascination with West Virginia. From the economist viewpoint, there seems to be little reason that WV has seen population declines, job losses, and loss of personal income. I always thought that New Yorkers would move there because it is so cheap. Any thoughts on why this is not the case?

11 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

Off topic but in the office we have an unhealthy fascination with West Virginia. From the economist viewpoint, there seems to be little reason that WV has seen population declines, job losses, and loss of personal income. I always thought that New Yorkers would move there because it is so cheap. Any thoughts on why this is not the case?

My daughter lives there and I have driven thru it a lot so I only have opinion.  Two things.  One, lack of good paying jobs.  2nd, stereotypes.  WV in my opinion is still viewed as a backwoods mountainous region filled with hillbillies.   I Believe many see the Hatfields  and McCoys as the prime residents don’t think they would be welcome there.

Just opinion.  WV is a beautiful state.  But for the most part it is poor.

2 minutes ago, Huey said:

My daughter lives there and I have driven thru it a lot so I only have opinion.  Two things.  One, lack of good paying jobs.  2nd, stereotypes.  WV in my opinion is still viewed as a backwoods mountainous region filled with hillbillies.   I Believe many see the Hatfields  and McCoys as the prime residents don’t think they would be welcome there.

Just opinion.  WV is a beautiful state.  But for the most part it is poor.

Thanks for the info. Idaho and Nevada were once thought of as rural backwaters but the low price was too much for Californians to resist and hence they came. 

58 minutes ago, Huey said:

It amazes me that people run from an area because of the political policies, and then try to enact those same policies where they land.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result each time IS the definition of insanity.

19 minutes ago, rippy38 said:

It amazes me that people run from an area because of the political policies, and then try to enact those same policies where they land.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result each time IS the definition of insanity.

Yup.  Va is a perfect example.  And in a decade or so Texas may end the same.

10 hours ago, king of the county said:

He believes GOP is within 'striking distance' of getting House majority in 2022

Not a chance in hell of that, if Harris/Biden through cheating end up in the Oval Office.   Because if that happens there will be twice as much cheating in 2022 ... and three times as much in 2024 ... and we might not even know about it.   Because the media, Feds or courts will be in democRAT control.  Even the internet might be controlled by then.  Just takes an EO to do that.   No, I'm afraid it might be time to REVOLT, king.   If there's no revote.   Unless you want to end up not like California ... but like Communist China.   Just saying ...

53 minutes ago, BeAChooser said:

Not a chance in hell of that, if Harris/Biden through cheating end up in the Oval Office.   Because if that happens there will be twice as much cheating in 2022 ... and three times as much in 2024 ... and we might not even know about it.   Because the media, Feds or courts will be in democRAT control.  Even the internet might be controlled by then.  Just takes on EO to do that.   No, I'm afraid it might be time to REVOLT, king.   If there's no revote.   Unless you want to end up not like California ... but like Communist China.   Just saying ...

Who is cheating?   An individual?

8 hours ago, BeAChooser said:

Because if that happens there will be twice as much cheating in 2022 ... and three times as much in 2024 ... and we might not even know about it.   Because the media, Feds or courts will be in democRAT control.

With all the cheating, I am starting to think  the Democrats  are not as large as they claim.

they are likely smaller in number 

My wife and I used to spend a week in Lake Tahoe or Mammoth every year, and every year the state got worse and worse.  We've since bought a house in Breckenridge for our yearly ski trips.  The only time I'm in Cali anymore is for work.  

There has never been a state that exemplifies the notion that only property owners should vote more.

1 minute ago, BodySlam said:

My wife and I used to spend a week in Lake Tahoe or Mammoth every year, and every year the state got worse and worse.  We've since bought a house in Breckenridge for our yearly ski trips.  The only time I'm in Cali anymore is for work.  

What do you mean by "got worse and worse"?