Amazon opens online pharmacy that delivers prescriptions

Why Amazon bought PillPack for $753 million and what happens next

This will drive a lot of companies out of business. BUT, it is good for consumers. If Bezos ran for POTUS, I would vote for him. This guy gets the job done. I hope he doesn't run, though, because he is doing too good a job changing commerce for the better.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/amazon-opens-online-pharmacy-that-delivers-prescriptions/ar-BB1b5IH2?ocid=msedgntp

(Full article at above link)

Now sold on Amazon: insulin, inhalers and other prescription drugs — all with two-day delivery for members of the ecommerce company's Prime shopping club.

Investors have misdiagnosed Amazon's push into the pharmacy business -  MarketWatch

• Thumb up 1
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will drive a lot of companies out of business. BUT, it is good for consumers. If Bezos ran for POTUS, I would vote for him. This guy gets the job done. I hope he doesn't run, though, because he i

Ok, I see some logic in that aspect I suppose. In the end, however, Amazon is the ultimate business killer. Whether by directly putting companies out of business, or by swallowing them up....at their

Did Trump bring any manufacturing back? Any?    Your second paragraph might be better directed towards your pals in the circle jerk club. They love that conspiratorial bullshit. 🙄

4 hours ago, drvoke said:

This will drive a lot of companies out of business. BUT, it is good for consumers. 

Will you guys ever make up your mind?

In the 80’s, and especially in the 90’s, it was all the rage on the left to hate WalMart because they were killing local Mom & Pop stores and putting people out of work while having a negative impact on the “American Dream”.

Yet, now, here you guys are in full support of Amazon - which is WalMart on steroids.....and y’all support the very things you spent two + decades decrying.

I don’t get it. Is it that standing on principles requires having a spine?

2 minutes ago, LaughinAtLefty said:

In the 80’s, and especially in the 90’s, it was all the rage on the left to hate WalMart because they were killing local Mom & Pop stores and putting people out of work while having a negative impact on the “American Dream”.

Yet, now, here you guys are in full support of Amazon - which is WalMart on steroids.....and y’all support the very things you spent two + decades decrying.

Psst...Bezos is a demonrat, so it's different.

Well, if this is any indication that Amazon and Bezos are heading down the WRONG PATH, you might try again.

They have been doing "mail order" PILL PAC's for close to 4 years now and have YET to put anyone out of business.

Fact is, MOST PEOPLE - as in 95%- use their LOCAL PHARMACY since they like that IN-PERSON TOUCH that you can only get in person. Add to it, you get to know the Pharmacist and the ADVICE they offer is often invaluable and insightful.

So, no, this isn't going to do a DAMN THING to anyone OTHER than allow people to see how it's NOT supposed to work, since the Amazon Pill Pac bullshit fell flat on it's face.

2 minutes ago, MidnightMax said:

So, you going to order your SELF ADMINISTERED "Flu Shot" from Bezos???

I want to see you do THAT one, CUNTessa Jr.

As per usual you didn't read the OP

Next, shitstain

I have been getting all my prescriptions through Humana's mail order. There is a Walgreen's three blocks from my door, but they lie about when the Rx will be ready. Even when they call me to tell me it's ready, I go there, stand in line for 20 minutes and when they get to me, they still have not filled it.

The mark up on prescription drugs is pretty high. 

I used to work in a neighbor's drugstore  from when i was in high school. There were three pharmacies on the courthouse square. Now they are all out of business. The one where I worked was in business since 1880. They still had bags and bags of red and green plastic MO state tax tokens in the basement. These had not been used since the  Eisenhower administration.   I see where collectors are getting 25 cents apiece for them.

11 minutes ago, MidnightMax said:

Well, if this is any indication that Amazon and Bezos are heading down the WRONG PATH, you might try again.

They have been doing "mail order" PILL PAC's for close to 4 years now and have YET to put anyone out of business.

Fact is, MOST PEOPLE - as in 95%- use their LOCAL PHARMACY since they like that IN-PERSON TOUCH that you can only get in person. Add to it, you get to know the Pharmacist and the ADVICE they offer is often invaluable and insightful.

So, no, this isn't going to do a DAMN THING to anyone OTHER than allow people to see how it's NOT supposed to work, since the Amazon Pill Pac bullshit fell flat on it's face.

Read the article. Amazon BOUGHT PILL PAC for 700 million dollars. They're done. Me, I like my pharmacist, but they don't deliver unless you pay a significant fee. I'll opt for Amazon. And I think almost everyone else will too. So does Wall Street. Pharmacy stocks took a heavy hit today because of this announcement. They see the writing on the wall.

1 hour ago, LaughinAtLefty said:

Commerce is changing. Even healthcare is going online. Grow up.

1 hour ago, LaughinAtLefty said:

Hating WalMart and hating Amazon not really the same thing.

I avoid Wal Mart because the checkout lines are really long.

I cannot say I hate WalMart  or ever did.

I don't hate Amazon, either. 

As for Ma and Pa stores, they are long gone. The closest thing to the old five and dime are the independent  Dollar stores run by Pakistanis and Indians here in Miami. They have the crappiest merchandise ever, and everything is more than a dollar.

Dollar Tree is the best of the local stores, but it is a national chain.

Not sure I’d trust Amazon with prescriptions any more. We are Prime members. Our experience during the early days of the pandemic was that Walmart and my local drug store had better availability.  Amazon was hit and miss. Certain products on Amazon were either

- out of stock

- reserved for front line workers

- insanely inflated in price

- delayed because two-day shipping became one-month shipping

Unless Amazon is prepared to guarantee that our medications will always be in stock, no matter what, then I am no longer prepared to trust them. 

25 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

Hating WalMart and hating Amazon not really the same thing.

I avoid Wal Mart because the checkout lines are really long.

I cannot say I hate WalMart  or ever did.

I don't hate Amazon, either. 

As for Ma and Pa stores, they are long gone. The closest thing to the old five and dime are the independent  Dollar stores run by Pakistanis and Indians here in Miami. They have the crappiest merchandise ever, and everything is more than a dollar.

Dollar Tree is the best of the local stores, but it is a national chain.

The OP and I are discussing principles, not checkout lines. You wouldn’t understand “professor”.

27 minutes ago, Olivaw said:

Not sure I’d trust Amazon with prescriptions any more. We are Prime members. Our experience during the early days of the pandemic was that Walmart and my local drug store had better availability.  Amazon was hit and miss. Certain products on Amazon were either

- out of stock

- reserved for front line workers

- insanely inflated in price

- delayed because two-day shipping became one-month shipping

Unless Amazon is prepared to guarantee that our medications will always be in stock, no matter what, then I am no longer prepared to trust them. 

Most of our drugs were made in China. Trump's policy would bring manufacturing back to the states. I hope Biden doesn't fuck that up. It is literally a matter of national security.

12 minutes ago, LaughinAtLefty said:

The same simplistic perspective was just as applicable regarding the leftists hatred of WalMart.

That’s strike two for you. Standing by for strike three and for you to head to the bench.

The problem with Walmart, and it still exists (but to a lesser degree with Amazon) is the wealth gap. Amazon is getting better (admittedly, because they were forced). They just opened a distribution center in my hometown of Akron, OH. It will employee at least 1500 people with a starting wage of $15 an hour, plus benefits.

22 minutes ago, drvoke said:

The problem with Walmart, and it still exists (but to a lesser degree with Amazon) is the wealth gap. Amazon is getting better (admittedly, because they were forced). They just opened a distribution center in my hometown of Akron, OH. It will employee at least 1500 people with a starting wage of $15 an hour, plus benefits.

Ok, I see some logic in that aspect I suppose. In the end, however, Amazon is the ultimate business killer. Whether by directly putting companies out of business, or by swallowing them up....at their present pace - there will be few places to buy things from 50 years from now as they will have completely monopolized the country via business. If you look at them, there isn’t much they’re not into, or looking to get into at this point. How wise is it to have a single entity so vast?

Maybe I’m just too old school. I used to enjoy going to local stores, started by people that invested in the American dream. Employed people that enjoyed their owners and enjoyed their jobs. Many of those employees would eventually roll the dice and start their own business in the same sector, just a different geographical area.....and the dream snowballed and grew a nation of small businesses. These days, and more so moving forward, the dream of self determination is either rapidly evaporating or simply gone. 

• Thumb up 1
1 hour ago, drvoke said:

Most of our drugs were made in China. Trump's policy would bring manufacturing back to the states. I hope Biden doesn't fuck that up. It is literally a matter of national security.

Sure, it’s important to be able to manufacture essentials. Trump said he would bring back manufacturing but I have seen little evidence that he accomplished it. His trade war with China appears to have moved a limited amount of manufacturing from China to India and other countries. 

Unsure what this has to do with my skepticism of Amazon as a supplier for essential prescription medications. 

8 hours ago, drvoke said:

Why Amazon bought PillPack for $753 million and what happens next

This will drive a lot of companies out of business. BUT, it is good for consumers. If Bezos ran for POTUS, I would vote for him. This guy gets the job done. I hope he doesn't run, though, because he is doing too good a job changing commerce for the better.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/amazon-opens-online-pharmacy-that-delivers-prescriptions/ar-BB1b5IH2?ocid=msedgntp

(Full article at above link)

Now sold on Amazon: insulin, inhalers and other prescription drugs — all with two-day delivery for members of the ecommerce company's Prime shopping club.

Amazon's new online pharmacy, which opens Tuesday, lets users buy their medication and order refills on their phones or other devices and have it delivered to their doorsteps in a couple of days, just like a book or toilet paper. The move propels Amazon into a new business, potentially shaking up the pharmacy industry as it has done to everything from book sellers to toy stores and grocers. 

Big chains like CVS and Walgreens rely on their pharmacies to bring them a steady flow of shoppers who stop by frequently to pick up their medications. But Amazon is also debuting the service amid the coronavirus pandemic, which is sparking consumer demand for online deliveries.

Shares of drugstore chains sank in pre-market trading, with CVS dropping about 9% and Walgreens slumping 12%. Amazon shares rose 2.6%.

Price comparisons

Amazon said it will offer commonly prescribed drugs starting Tuesday, including creams, pills, as well as medications that need to stay cold, like insulin. Shoppers have to set up a profile on Amazon's website and have doctors send prescriptions to the company.

Amazon said its customers will be able to research and compare medications, including branded and generic versions, while also checking the price without insurance, their insurance co-pay or the price through a new Prime prescription savings benefit. 

Most insurance is accepted, Amazon said. But Prime members who don't have insurance can also buy generic or brand name drugs from Amazon for a discount, which the company said will be up to  80% off for generic medications and up to 40% off brand name medications.

"We work hard behind the scenes to handle complications seamlessly so anyone who needs a prescription can understand their options, place their order for the lowest available price, and have their medication delivered quickly," said TJ Parker, vice president of Amazon Pharmacy, in a statement.

Amazon has eyed the health care industry for some time. Two years ago, it spent $750 million to buy online pharmacy PillPack, which organizes medication in packets by what time and day they need to be taken. Amazon said that PillPack will continue, focusing on shipping medication to people with chronic conditions.

Investors have misdiagnosed Amazon's push into the pharmacy business -  MarketWatch

Communist China Drugs delivered to your door by Globalist owned Amazon.  Wait until China starts sending poison in their meds. LOL

33 minutes ago, Olivaw said:

Sure, it’s important to be able to manufacture essentials. Trump said he would bring back manufacturing but I have seen little evidence that he accomplished it. His trade war with China appears to have moved a limited amount of manufacturing from China to India and other countries. 

Unsure what this has to do with my skepticism of Amazon as a supplier for essential prescription medications. 

Do you think Biden will bring any manufacturing back? If his previous stint under the tutelage of Obozo is any indication, the answer is not only a no - but a resounding hell no.

Given China Joe’s shady business and pay for play schemes with China, I just hope he doesn’t sell the entirety of the country to China at the behest of his boss, Comrade Xi.....

2 minutes ago, LaughinAtLefty said:

Do you think Biden will bring any manufacturing back? If his previous stint under the tutelage of Obozo is any indication, the answer is not only a no - but a resounding hell no.

Given China Joe’s shady business and pay for play schemes with China, I just hope he doesn’t sell the entirety of the country to China at the behest of his boss, Comrade Xi.....

Did Trump bring any manufacturing back? Any? 

Your second paragraph might be better directed towards your pals in the circle jerk club. They love that conspiratorial bullshit. 🙄

• Upvote 1