Who Should Replace Kamala Harris in the Senate?

SpyCar

CA governor Gavin Newsom has a big choice to make in replacing Kamala Harris.

One big decision would be whether to appoint a “caretaker” who promises not to run for the seat—say someone like Jerry Brown—who would then leave a level playing field for the electoral contest to fill the seat, or to play the “kingmaker” and make an appointment that would give someone incumbency?

If Newsom does fill the seat with a “permanent” replacement my top choices (in order) would be current CA Attorney General Xavier Bercerra. He is a very serious guy. Smart, capable, and very fit for the job. Biden may want him in the Cabinet.

A very strong second choice would be Karen Bass. She has fantastic leadership skills and is a master legislator and deal maker. If I had to place a bet on who actually gets the seat, it would be Bass.

Any thoughts or favorites?

Bill

1 hour ago, SpyCar said:

CA governor Gavin Newsom has a big choice to make in replacing Kamala Harris.

One big decision would be whether to appoint a “caretaker” who promises not to run for the seat—say someone like Jerry Brown—who would then leave a level playing field for the electoral contest to fill the seat, or to play the “kingmaker” and make an appointment that would give someone incumbency?

If Newsom does fill the seat with a “permanent” replacement my top choices (in order) would be current CA Attorney General Xavier Bercerra. He is a very serious guy. Smart, capable, and very fit for the job. Biden may want him in the Cabinet.

A very strong second choice would be Karen Bass. She has fantastic leadership skills and is a master legislator and deal maker. If I had to place a bet on who actually gets the seat, it would be Bass.

Any thoughts or favorites?

Bill

I think your analysis is spot on.... I think that when someone gives you power, you probably should take the opportunity to use it for good.  To that end, I think Newsom appointing Bass is a great choice and one that ensures the seat stays in democratic hands for as long as she wants the job.

12 minutes ago, maineman said:

I think your analysis is spot on.... I think that when someone gives you power, you probably should take the opportunity to use it for good.  To that end, I think Newsom appointing Bass is a great choice and one that ensures the seat stays in democratic hands for as long as she wants the job.

The thing about Bass--that I've witnessed from way back--is that she has an amazing quality to work with all sorts of people--Republicans included. A gift not unlike that of Joe Biden's. In a Senate that will be split very evenly the ability of people to form coalitions and make compromises to get deals done will be critical. This Karen Bass's strong suit.

I would not be surprised if she gets the seat. We'd be well served.

Bill

3 minutes ago, SpyCar said:

The thing about Bass--that I've witnessed from way back--is that she has an amazing quality to work with all sorts of people--Republicans included. A gift not unlike that of Joe Biden's. In a Senate that will be split very evenly the ability of people to form coalitions and make compromises to get deals done will be critical. This Karen Bass's strong suit.

Bill

from your lips to Newsom's ears.  

and then... please God.... let Warnock and Ossoff win in January.

Then... let Joe call Mitch in for a meeting.... and if he doesn't IMMEDIATELY agree to work hard with the administration to pass meaningful legislation, Joe should summarily dismiss the fucking turtle and direct Chuck to unleash the hounds.... DC/PR statehood... done.  Expand SCOTUS to 13 justices via the "Merrick Garland Karma Is A Bitch" bill... and then get a whole lot of progressive stuff done/

16 minutes ago, maineman said:

from your lips to Newsom's ears.  

and then... please God.... let Warnock and Ossoff win in January.

Then... let Joe call Mitch in for a meeting.... and if he doesn't IMMEDIATELY agree to work hard with the administration to pass meaningful legislation, Joe should summarily dismiss the fucking turtle and direct Chuck to unleash the hounds.... DC/PR statehood... done.  Expand SCOTUS to 13 justices via the "Merrick Garland Karma Is A Bitch" bill... and then get a whole lot of progressive stuff done/

I'd actually like to see Xavier Becerra become the governor of CA. I'd much prefer him to Gavin Newsom--who has never fully won my trust. There is something that's off about him. Swarmy.

With you in praying for Warnock and Ossoff wins in January. Plus then you could extend the conversation with Idiotboi about how it takes 51 votes to....

LOL.

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpyCar said:

Bill

Bass is going to be the next speaker of the house.   It would be ill-advised to move her into a senate seat right now.    She would go from being the biggest fish in the pond to a junior senator with very little influence at all.    

2 hours ago, Butthead said:

Bass is going to be the next speaker of the house.   It would be ill-advised to move her into a senate seat right now.    She would go from being the biggest fish in the pond to a junior senator with very little influence at all.    

I think that Hakeem Jeffries is  most likely to be the next speaker (and Nancy Pelosi isn't going anywhere for the time being), although I could definitely see Karen Bass rise in the House Democratic leadership and become a powerful force in that body.

I'd agree that her ceiling seems higher in the House than in the Senate.

@Butthead This is a revised post.

Bill

2 hours ago, SpyCar said:

I think that Hakeem Jeffries is  most likely to be the next speaker (and Nancy Pelosi isn't going anywhere for the time being), although I could definitely see Karen Bass rise in the House Democratic leadership and become a powerful force in that body.

I'd agree that her ceiling seems higher in the House than in the Senate.

@Butthead This is a revised post.

Bill

Jeffries is a pretty intriguing candidate.    He's picked his battles wisely and hasn't gone full-on far left.   He's in a pretty reliably blue district but I dont think he has the clout to be able to handle a midterm election which will probably go red and not have his own seat in jeopardy from a far left challenger.   Personally I like the guy and he's got a future but if I was him I'd keep my head down for the next couple of years and look towards 2024.  If he became speaker, he would get a ton of crap from Tlaib and Omar.   

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, fourputt said:

https://porter.house.gov/

I think she's awesome and someone who is no nonsense.

However imagine her as AG wouldn't be bad either.

Katie Porter is great, but we'd likely lose her House seat (which was held by the GOP forever) if she left the the House.

This was a huge win in 2018. I'd like to see that district solidified as a Blue district. We lost 2 other Orange County House seats we picked up in 2018 as Gil Cisneros and Harley Rouda each lost after serving one term.

We need Porter in Congress.

Bill

Well it looks like Joe Biden will tap Xavier Becerra to head up Health and Human Services (HHS).

Hard to complain, as that's an extremely critical job (now and moving forward), I'd just hoped Becerra would either get the Senate seat or be named the US Attorney General. I'm a fan.

I think Alex Padilla is the new front-runner to replace Harris. Although he's local (to me) Padilla is one of those politicians I don't feel like I really know them.  And that's kind of a big downside for a politican who has been around a long time.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2020 at 5:43 PM, SpyCar said:

Well it looks like Joe Biden will tap Xavier Becerra to head up Health and Human Services (HHS).

Hard to complain, as that's an extremely critical job (now and moving forward), I'd just hoped Becerra would either get the Senate seat or be named the US Attorney General. I'm a fan.

I think Alex Padilla is the new front-runner to replace Harris. Although he's local (to me) Padilla is one of those politicians I don't feel like I really know them.  And that's kind of a big downside for a politican who has been around a long time.

Bill

Padilla it is. I don't know him. Haven't lived in CA for 15 years. I'm sure we'll get to know him soon.