Jump to content

Leave Every Farm Better than ya Found It


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, PhilipIV said:

my family had to sell some farms cause property taxes are too damn high. 

 

No clue what happened to those farms.

 

Not my problem.

Not your ", Problem" eh..

 

This is a "Vast" Infrastructure..

 

This why we ain't Starving Ethiopians either..

 

Corn back to $4 and something a bushel..

 

Beans were getting $9/$10..

 

Wheat was down a dime. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Karl Childers said:

They went Broke "Bust" back in the 1980s..

 

Today unless ya won the POWEBALL ya couldn't even dream of "Setting" Up

 

I know some brothers that started their own farm (partnership) around 2000.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Karl Childers said:

They went Broke "Bust" back in the 1980s..

 

Today unless ya won the POWEBALL ya couldn't even dream of "Setting" Up

 

Farmers went bust in the 1980s because they speculated that land prices would continue to increase so they

bought more land than they should have.  They knew they were paying MORE for the land than it could or should

produce in farming income but decided to take a risk anyway.  And they got burnt.

No different than trading on the stock market. 

 

Most did not risk so much and are still here.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, PhilipIV said:

my family had to sell some farms cause property taxes are too damn high. 

 

Well, they should have known the property taxes when they bought the land.

I wonder if an urban area was getting close to their farm and changing property

taxes a LOT?  I thought agri zoning usually took care of that, however..... 

 

If the property taxes were prohibitively high BECAUSE their land had

appreciate soooo much, then I wiil withhold my pity.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Scout said:

 

Well, they should have known the property taxes when they bought the land.

I wonder if an urban area was getting close to their farm and changing property

taxes a LOT?  I thought agri zoning usually took care of that, however..... 

 

If the property taxes were prohibitively high BECAUSE their land had

appreciate soooo much, then I wiil withhold my pity.  

They were purchased generations ago. It seems like property taxes have been steadily increasing.

 

I think it is more of a social engineering thing. Historically real estate is the most important means to building wealth. The people who control this country want to get rid of that and focus on commerce instead

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, PhilipIV said:

They were purchased generations ago. It seems like property taxes have been steadily increasing.

 

I think it is more of a social engineering thing. Historically real estate is the most important means to building wealth. The people who control this country want to get rid of that and focus on commerce instead

 

People turn to land as an investment in less certain times.  

The farmland near my childhood hometown has gone up a LOT.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, benson13 said:

"They went Broke "Bust" back in the 1980s.."

 

 

during the senile raygun years...I remember it well...I'm from Wisconsin, went to school with Farm Kids, nobody I grew up with, has a Farm in their Family any longer, its all Corporate Owned now.

Way back in the Day my Grandpa and Uncle ran a small operation in Dodge County..

 

As a Child my folks wanted to "Travel" so they sent me up to the farm when school let out..

 

I hadda shovel all the Manure as a kid..

 

Now Grandpa was "Shrewed" with his Ca$h..

 

When he got old and died..

 

My Uncle took a 12 guage shotgun and blew his freaking skull off in the basement ....

 

Grandpa left him the Operation but he couldn't keep it going

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Karl Childers said:

My Uncle took a 12 guage shotgun and blew his freaking skull off in the basement ....

 

I am from a small farming community and I was surprised at how

many deaths by gun there had been in the community over the decades.  ALL men. 

 

 

Tsq5pfU.gif

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Pyramid....Sure do, my HS Class had its 40th Class Reunion there, the only time I was ever in the place, but my parents used to go there occasionally...remember the outdoor movie theatre outside of Beaver Dam?...spent many Sat nights there in the summer...drove a Pea and Bean Combine for Green Giant out of Fox Lake in the summer months, all around BD, Juneau, Fox Lake etc etc 

  • Thumb up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...