Markey rips GOP for support of Amy Coney Barrett: Originalism 'just a fancy word for discrimination'

Scout

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/markey-rips-gop-for-support-of-amy-coney-barrett-originalism-just-a-fancy-word-for-discrimination/ar-BB1apLfm?ocid=msedgntp

Sen. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) on Monday lambasted Senate Republicans for their full-throated support of Judge Amy Coney Barrett, a religious conservative and President Trump's nominee to the Supreme Court who is expected to be confirmed by the end of the day.

"Originalism is racist. Originalism is sexist. Originalism is homophobic," Markey tweeted Monday. "Originalism is just a fancy word for discrimination."

Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee spent three days of hearings painting Barrett as extremely qualified to serve on the court and a champion of originalist ideology as it relates to constitutional law.

Constitutional originalism is the legal theory that dictates the words of the country's founding documents are meant to be interpreted exactly as they are written by justices, policymakers and the American public.

Progressives have longed derided the theory, oftentimes arguing the Constitution is an imperfect document written during a different time in American history and should be interpreted based on the spirit of the law rather than the written word.

Barrett, who described herself to senators on the committee this month as taking inspiration from the late Justice Antonin Scalia, another originalist, has written several opinions questioning the legitimacy of the Affordable Care Act and other state laws meant to curb gun ownership during her time on lower courts and as a professor of law at the University of Notre Dame.

"I also clerked for Justice Scalia, and like many law students, I felt like I knew the justice before I ever met him, because I had read so many of his colorful, accessible opinions," Barrett said during her opening statement before the committee earlier this month. "More than the style of his writing, though, it was the content of Justice Scalia's reasoning that shaped me. His judicial philosophy was straightforward: A judge must apply the law as written, not as the judge wishes it were. Sometimes that approach meant reaching results that he did not like. But as he put it in one of his best known opinions, that is what it means to say we have a government of laws, not of men."

Markey, one of the upper chamber's most liberal members, gave a fiery floor speech Monday, accusing Republicans of using the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg to perform a power grab and rush Barrett onto the court, creating a 6-3 conservative majority likely to ascribe to originalist theory of law.

"You can't spell shameful without sham," Markey said. "And that's what Senate Republicans have turned this Supreme Court nomination process into -- a sham."

Barrett cleared the Senate Judiciary Committee last week and is expected to be confirmed Monday. She is expected to be sworn in during a ceremony at the White House the same evening.

5 minutes ago, Scout said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/markey-rips-gop-for-support-of-amy-coney-barrett-originalism-just-a-fancy-word-for-discrimination/ar-BB1apLfm?ocid=msedgntp

Sen. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) on Monday lambasted Senate Republicans for their full-throated support of Judge Amy Coney Barrett, a religious conservative and President Trump's nominee to the Supreme Court who is expected to be confirmed by the end of the day.

"Originalism is racist. Originalism is sexist. Originalism is homophobic," Markey tweeted Monday. "Originalism is just a fancy word for discrimination."

Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee spent three days of hearings painting Barrett as extremely qualified to serve on the court and a champion of originalist ideology as it relates to constitutional law.

Constitutional originalism is the legal theory that dictates the words of the country's founding documents are meant to be interpreted exactly as they are written by justices, policymakers and the American public.

Progressives have longed derided the theory, oftentimes arguing the Constitution is an imperfect document written during a different time in American history and should be interpreted based on the spirit of the law rather than the written word.

Barrett, who described herself to senators on the committee this month as taking inspiration from the late Justice Antonin Scalia, another originalist, has written several opinions questioning the legitimacy of the Affordable Care Act and other state laws meant to curb gun ownership during her time on lower courts and as a professor of law at the University of Notre Dame.

"I also clerked for Justice Scalia, and like many law students, I felt like I knew the justice before I ever met him, because I had read so many of his colorful, accessible opinions," Barrett said during her opening statement before the committee earlier this month. "More than the style of his writing, though, it was the content of Justice Scalia's reasoning that shaped me. His judicial philosophy was straightforward: A judge must apply the law as written, not as the judge wishes it were. Sometimes that approach meant reaching results that he did not like. But as he put it in one of his best known opinions, that is what it means to say we have a government of laws, not of men."

Markey, one of the upper chamber's most liberal members, gave a fiery floor speech Monday, accusing Republicans of using the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg to perform a power grab and rush Barrett onto the court, creating a 6-3 conservative majority likely to ascribe to originalist theory of law.

"You can't spell shameful without sham," Markey said. "And that's what Senate Republicans have turned this Supreme Court nomination process into -- a sham."

Barrett cleared the Senate Judiciary Committee last week and is expected to be confirmed Monday. She is expected to be sworn in during a ceremony at the White House the same evening.

Marky?

From Boston?

13 minutes ago, Scout said:

That's about the size of it.

7 minutes ago, calguy said:

That's about the size of it.

The argument is that if the people care sufficiently, they will legislate some need rather than depending on the courts

to interpret it.  I'm not committed on this point.  

I think originalism is a way to block change.

Originalists think a mind that decided that women should not have rights should interpret mankind's rights for eternity.

That sounds pretty fucking stupid to me.

They think a mind and morality that decided that slaves were not men should interpret mankind's rights for eternity.

THAT also sounds pretty fucking stupid to me. 

2 minutes ago, Scout said:

The argument is that if the people care sufficiently, they will legislate some need rather than depending on the courts

Originalists think a mind that decided that women should not have rights should interpret mankind's rights for eternity.

They think a mind and morality that decided that slaves were not men should interpret mankind's rights for eternity.

Here is an original thought for you ... dont murder your fucking baby.

8 minutes ago, Scout said:

Racists and Flat Earthers are good at coming up with creative names to call themselves to disguise their true intentions.

1 minute ago, calguy said:

Racists and Flat Earthers are good at coming up with creative names to call themselves to disguise their true intentions.

Agreed.  I take the more direct approach --- for example, I originated "gun nutter".  :D  

3 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

The Founders were certainly not feminists and were clearly White supremacists. Many thought that gays were insane.

It sounds like the court has an argument for never doing anything which is the result of rightwingers on the court - lazy bastards.

They are going to make some very bad law over the next 20 years.  Hold on tight - it will be a helluva ride.

If any rightwingers know how to get me a decent job in the UK, I will gladly move there if Trump TRULY wins.

If he just wins the EC again, I will stick around to make his life hell for another 4 years.  

1 hour ago, Scout said:

Then promptly enjoyed a dinner with fellow Republican senators.........probably.

Division is the Demonrats game.

1 hour ago, Scout said:

Psst...that’s why they created a way to amend the document.  

2 hours ago, Scout said:

If you're afraid of a Constitutionalist judge, maybe it's because you are supporting unconstitutional laws. 

2 hours ago, Scout said:

Your "definition" of originalist needs some work. 

And no, originalism isn't a way to block change. 

"Change" is suppose to come via Congress, not the court. 

That's why Roe can be overturned.  It isn't based on law, it was "found" by a court, and can be overturned by another court. 

2 hours ago, calguy said:

Flat Earthers  have not come up with any "creative names" that I can think of. Can you think of any? Racists simply claim that they are "traditionalists" or some such garbage. They could not bear Obama as a president, so they made up all that birtherist crap,

8 hours ago, Scout said:

That's pretty fucking stupid. He's almost as stupid as you, @Scout.

9 hours ago, Scout said:

I give her a whole week before she decides trump does not have to release his tax returns after all.

9 hours ago, Scout said:

Okay...lets grant it is racist (I think i recall that Clarence thomas is thr biggest originalist in the supreme court at the moment..but ok)

Does that mean it is wrong?