Disorderly Transfer of Power?

Once upon a time, I never thought that we could lose our democracy.

But after seeing Moscow Mitch prevent Obama from exercising his Constitutional RIGHT to appoint federal judges ... and after seeing the Banana Republicans pass laws, and implement policies, that impede and suppress our Constitutional RIGHT to vote ...
  and after seeing Don-the-Dictator-Wannabe transforming our federal government into a family operation that serves HIM and HIS CHOSEN FEW, instead of transforming it into a better government that better serves ALL OF US ... I think that our democracy is hanging by a THREAD.

And I fear that this Unholy Trinity, coupled with the pandemic, will lead us into one of the DARKEST periods in our history.

If Biden is elected, let’s hope the Unholy Trinity allows for a PEACEFUL and ORDERLY transfer of power.
  Right now, it does NOT look like they want to do that.  At WORST, they will STEAL the election, and they will NOT ALLOW a transfer of power.  At BEST, they will TRY to steal the election, but they will fail ... and they will make the transfer of power as HELLACIOUS and DISORDERLY as possible.

After seeing the lawlessness and chaos of this president and the thugs he has chosen to aid him, I wouldn't rule out any desperate attempt to keep his grip on power.   

The situation he has deliberately set up,  is that if he is removed from power, he will go to jail.  This helps to make him even more desperate and dangerous than if he was not a common criminal.

However this turns out, the history of the Trump Era will go down in infamy.  No other American president remotely approaches the disgrace Trump has brought on the office of President of the USA.

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, bludog said:

After seeing the lawlessness and chaos of this president and the thugs he has chosen to aid him, I wouldn't rule out any desperate attempt to keep his grip on power.   

The situation he has deliberately set up, it seems,  is that if he is removed from power, he will go to jail.  This helps to make him even more desperate and dangerous than if he was not a common criminal.

However this turns out, the history of the Trump Era will go down in infamy.  No other American president remotely approaches the disgrace Trump has brought on the office of President of the USA.

It will go down in history as an era of shame. No question.

I am rather more confident that power will pass peacefully. Trump doesn't have the institutional support to illegally usurp power. The SC is worrisome, as their decisions could interfere with fair vote counts. That's real. We have 2000 as a reminder of that reality. For sure.

Hopefully the margin is so great that the Trumpists can't try to cheat.

I do agree that Trump faces a real chance of being indicted and convicted of serious financial crimes if he loses--a prospect the is surely aware of himself--and that most certainly does make him dangerous. What a mess!

Bill

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, SpyCar said:

Hopefully the margin is so great that the Trumpists can't try to cheat

That possibility is not out of the question:

What a coup it would be for Democracy if Biden took Texas.  The Lone Star State has long been forecast to flip based on demographic trends.  If Biden continues to pull ahead in the next week, it could finally happen.

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/latest ... s-in-texas
===============================================================================
AUSTIN, Texas — The battle for Texas is far from over in the presidential race, as the latest poll shows former Vice President Joe Biden leading President Trump by three points in the Lone Star State.One poll last week had the candidates tied, while another had Biden up by one point.The poll, from The Dallas Morning News and the University of Texas at Tyler, was conducted before last week's final debate and has Biden at 48% and Trump at 45%.

<snip>
================================================================================

43 minutes ago, bludog said:

That possibility is not out of the question:

What a coup it would be for Democracy if Biden took Texas.  The Lone Star State has long been forecast to flip based on demographic trends.  If Biden continues to pull ahead in the next week, it could finally happen.

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/latest ... s-in-texas
===============================================================================
AUSTIN, Texas — The battle for Texas is far from over in the presidential race, as the latest poll shows former Vice President Joe Biden leading President Trump by three points in the Lone Star State.One poll last week had the candidates tied, while another had Biden up by one point.The poll, from The Dallas Morning News and the University of Texas at Tyler, was conducted before last week's final debate and has Biden at 48% and Trump at 45%.
================================================================================

I think that there isn't any question that the Trumpists will try every trick in the book to disenfranchise voters and try to steal elections. That's a given. I expect nothing less.

If we have big wins--including places like Texas--it would be a huge day for democracy in America.

Trump needs to not only lose--but to be repudiated. In my estimation, it is healthy for the country to have a sane conservative opposition party. But this ain't it. Trumpism is a threat to American values. Call it what it is: American fascism.

Needs to be obliterated so the GOP can re-build, or it will be replaced.

Crossing my fingers for a big win.

Bill

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, bludog said:

My fingers have been crossed so long they are cramping. :)

I think we are both in exactly the same boat--along with many millions of Americans, and people around the globe.

I'm getting bombarded with emails from friends from other countries who are desperate to know what I think is going to happen.

The mixture of fear and optimism is a mother. Hopefully we get the results soon.

Hang out anytime. My posts are now being blocked over there--it seems. But all are welcome here anytime. Know that.

Bill

• Like 1
1 hour ago, impartialobserver said:

If Biden wins, expect Trump to do anything that he can to delay the process. Not sure what he can do but rest assured, if there are ways to muddle up the process he will find it and use it. 

I don't see that as a possibility if Biden wins. But mudding the process of declaring a winner is a different story. They will likely fight tooth and nail. Unless the results are so overwhelming that Trump has no hope. 

Otherwise, we could be in for a period of chaos that makes Bush v Gore look like child's play.

But I don't see trump trying to hang on to power if Biden is confirmed as the winner. That's only because our institutions--however damaged--are stronger than Donald J Trump. He has dictatorial impulses. Of that I have no doubt. He'd usurp power if he were able to do so. But I'm confident that our system will check his ambitions.

Bill

On 10/25/2020 at 1:14 AM, SpyCar said:

I'm fairly confident that Biden will win and that our institutions will hold.

This country is stronger that Trump's narcissism.

Bill

faith never wins

On 10/27/2020 at 2:23 PM, SpyCar said:

Hang out anytime. My posts are now being blocked over there--it seems. But all are welcome here anytime. Know that.

WTF? By blocked, do you mean that CP has pulled another paranoid stunt and put you under the same moderation that he put Rippy? 

On the transfer of power; Joe’s margin of victory will never be so great as to convince the cult that he won fairly. All we can hope is that his margin of victory is sufficiently large to convince reasonable Americans. I’m cautiously optimistic but less optimistic than I was before Moscow Mitch McConnell stole another Supreme Court seat and awarded it to an unqualified pawn. 

Scary days indeed. We need to win the Senate and the Administration.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Olivaw said:

WTF? By blocked, do you mean that CP has pulled another paranoid stunt and put you under the same moderation that he put Rippy? 

On the transfer of power; Joe’s margin of victory will never be so great as to convince the cult that he won fairly. All we can hope is that his margin of victory is sufficiently large to convince reasonable Americans. I’m cautiously optimistic but less optimistic than I was before Moscow Mitch McConnell stole another Supreme Court seat and awarded it to an unqualified pawn. 

Scary days indeed. We need to win the Senate and the Administration.

Yep. I post over there and it looks as if they are there, but when I log out I can see that my posts are actually hidden. 

As to the transfer of power, I guess I don't give a damn if the Trumpist death-cultists are convinced--so long as Trump exits the building.

I don't know what was slipped in those people's water, but the degree to which these folks are utterly brain-washed is scary. One hopes that we are a rational species and live in a somewhat rational nation--and then these folks come along and undermine those suppositions. Egads!

It is really quite clear to be now how Nazi Germany happened.

The question of how Germany, one of the most culturally advanced countries in human history, succumbed to Nazism plagued me growing up. Now I get it. Sort of. I still can't fathom what brings people to turn off their critical thinking skills to the degree necessary to fall under the spells of people like Trump (or the other guy).

The next week or so is going to be nerve-wracking, but I think good things are coming. I really do. The nation needs good news.

Bill

• Upvote 1