Why The Mini 14 Is Better Than The AR 15

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read that the Mini has jamming problems. I chose not to buy the mini and built an AR47.  

A dead fetus is a dead baby. 

The Mini-14 is better than a decent AR-15 in certain categories only.  Overall, the AR is a superior rifle.   Mini-14's do not have jamming problems.  They are extremely reliable, easy to maintain and durable.   It costs way too much money to get a Mini-14 to shoot as accurately as an AR.  And, you can't just drop in a better fire control group for a Mini-14 like you can (choosing from many makers) with the AR-15.

AR Magazines are superior to the Mini-14 from the standpoint of ease of use.  There are better drums available for the AR.  And, binary triggers for the AR (although supposedly, it there is a cheat to make the Mini-14 trigger run binary)

I have essentially both types of rifles as well - several AR's and one variation of a Mini-14.

Just now, Skans said:

The Mini-14 is better than a decent AR-15 in certain categories only.  Overall, the AR is a superior rifle.   Mini-14's do not have jamming problems.  They are extremely reliable, easy to maintain and durable.   It costs way too much money to get a Mini-14 to shoot as accurately as an AR.  And, you can't just drop in a better fire control group for a Mini-14 like you can (choosing from many makers) with the AR-15.

AR Magazines are superior to the Mini-14 from the standpoint of ease of use.  There are better drums available for the AR.  And, binary triggers for the AR (although supposedly, it there is a cheat to make the Mini-14 trigger run binary)

I like my ar-10

1 minute ago, 123urout said:

I like my ar-10

Well, now you're talking 308, really a different topic.  I am a big 308 fan, but don't have an AR-10.  I wouldn't mind building an AR-10, but for now I am very satisfied with my compact K&M M17s 308. 

15 minutes ago, AnotherJim said:

Neither ARs or Minis are really distant shooters; for that I have the 03 Springfield with the Kahles telescopic sight. I've done 300 yard shots with the Mini & 400 yard shots with 7.62s. 1,200 yard shots with the 03.

What the heck am I ever going to need to shoot that is 1200 yards away?  For that matter, I could never for the life of me figure out what I would be shooting at even 100 yards away.

That kind of shooting requires expensive glass.  I just don't see myself in this lifetime being a crack sniper shot picking off marauding Democrats at 1200 yards.

4 minutes ago, Skans said:

What the heck am I ever going to need to shoot that is 1200 yards away?  For that matter, I could never for the life of me figure out what I would be shooting at even 100 yards away.

That kind of shooting requires expensive glass.  I just don't see myself in this lifetime being a crack sniper shot picking off marauding Democrats at 1200 yards.

Nothing like a heavy - long barrel rifle that lends itself to a sandbag. The luxury of distance can be a real lifesaver.  They're  dead before they even hit the ground; probably never hear the shot.

26 minutes ago, AnotherJim said:

Neither ARs or Minis are really distant shooters; for that I have the 03 Springfield with the Kahles telescopic sight. I've done 300 yard shots with the Mini & 400 yard shots with 7.62s. 1,200 yard shots with the 03.

I remember taking a training class; a combat pistol class with force-on-force elements.  Great class, learned a lot; but one thing I learned that was very powerful:

During our lunch break, a number of the students were casually discussing their parameters for the best "tactical" rifle, and several of them were talking about thousand-yard shooting.  The instructor of the class came over to the group, and he told everyone to listen up.  The class was just north of Salt Lake City, in the mountains, and he pointed all around us and said: "Okay, guys; look around you.  I want you all to decide where you think the furthest distance is that you might be able to identify a threat and engage it."

Everyone looked around, and we came to a general consensus that a notch in the mountain off to the North marked the spot.  The instructor pulled out his range finder and ranged the spot, then showed us the readout.  All of 285 yards.

"Now," the instructor went on, "we're in the mountains.  Imagine the place where you live; most of us live in cities or towns, right?  Think about the longest shot you might have to make in a legitimate tactical situation in that environment.  When you go home, go to the areas where you most often frequent and look around at the distances you might actually be engaged by a threat you have to address.  Now tell me you NEED a rifle that can reach out 1,000 yards.  I'm not saying it isn't fun to have such a weapon or that developing the skill to engage at such distances consistently isn't a good skill to have; but does having a rifle that can 'only hit to 300 yards' mean you're poorly armed?"

My primary long gun right now is an AR-15 pattern carbine.  I've engaged targets to 500 yards with it consistently; all with a reflex red dot on it as opposed to a magnified optic.  I'm pretty sure I'm well equipped for the majority of tactical situations.

2 hours ago, Squatchman said:

I have an AK and an AR

Never fired a Mini 14

Aren’t you a fan of gun control? Always sounding off on those of us against it? Pretty goddamn hypocritical to own the guns the guy you are voting for wants you to give up so that only the cops have them; the same cops you protest for being violent.

16 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I remember taking a training class; a combat pistol class with force-on-force elements.  Great class, learned a lot; but one thing I learned that was very powerful:

During our lunch break, a number of the students were casually discussing their parameters for the best "tactical" rifle, and several of them were talking about thousand-yard shooting.  The instructor of the class came over to the group, and he told everyone to listen up.  The class was just north of Salt Lake City, in the mountains, and he pointed all around us and said: "Okay, guys; look around you.  I want you all to decide where you think the furthest distance is that you might be able to identify a threat and engage it."

Everyone looked around, and we came to a general consensus that a notch in the mountain off to the North marked the spot.  The instructor pulled out his range finder and ranged the spot, then showed us the readout.  All of 285 yards.

"Now," the instructor went on, "we're in the mountains.  Imagine the place where you live; most of us live in cities or towns, right?  Think about the longest shot you might have to make in a legitimate tactical situation in that environment.  When you go home, go to the areas where you most often frequent and look around at the distances you might actually be engaged by a threat you have to address.  Now tell me you NEED a rifle that can reach out 1,000 yards.  I'm not saying it isn't fun to have such a weapon or that developing the skill to engage at such distances consistently isn't a good skill to have; but does having a rifle that can 'only hit to 300 yards' mean you're poorly armed?"

My primary long gun right now is an AR-15 pattern carbine.  I've engaged targets to 500 yards with it consistently; all with a reflex red dot on it as opposed to a magnified optic.  I'm pretty sure I'm well equipped for the majority of tactical situations.

I only use the 03 at the range ( so far ); but it's nice to have a firearm that can reach out, if necessary. For hunting, I use this. I figure if you can't do it with one shot, the deer has the right to take off.. 

th?id=OIP.Y1HteTCe4rv6dbek7G485AHaD4&w=100&h=100&c=1&pid=5.1

This New England Firearms Co. Handi Rifle is a break-action single-shot rifle chambered in 30-06. A 22-inch barrel is topped with a Bushnell 3-9x40 illuminated reticle scope.

2 hours ago, Squatchman said:

I have an AK and an AR

Never fired a Mini 14

FAIL!

You have NOT provided your VERIFIABLE legal name and VERIFIABLE residence address per your challenge to Mirabeau.

WHY ARE YOU RUNNING AND HIDING FROM MIRABEAU?

What is your VERIFIABLE legal name, age, and VERIFIABLE current home address?

2 hours ago, Mirabeau said:

FAIL!

You have NOT provided your VERIFIABLE legal name and VERIFIABLE residence address per your challenge to Mirabeau.

Fred Schanck

927 Otsegi Ln.

Gaylord Mi.

Your turn bitch.

2 hours ago, Deadric said:

Aren’t you a fan of gun control? Always sounding off on those of us against it? Pretty goddamn hypocritical to own the guns the guy you are voting for wants you to give up so that only the cops have them; the same cops you protest for being violent.

Biden doesn't want to take our guns,dolt.

It's just a conservative talking point to strike fear into the uneducated.

I think you resemble the last remark. 

4 hours ago, Squatchman said:

Fred Schanck

927 Otsegi Ln.

Gaylord Mi.

Your turn bitch.

FAIL!

YOU ARE A LIAR!

THERE IS NO SUCH PERSON AND NO SUCH ADDRESS IN GAYLORD, MI!

NEITHER EXISTS!

YOU ARE A LYING POS, AND A COWARD!

SO, ONCE MORE:

15 hours ago, tunafish said:

I read that the Mini has jamming problems.

I chose not to buy the mini and built an AR47.

The Mini-30 - has been known to have an issue now and then with some particular ammo.

But the 580 Series Mini-14's... ROCK.

Runs like a machine tool and ejects brass 20' away.

< 3 MOA, and never had an issue w/ Ruger OEM 5/10/20 round mags after thousands of rounds down range.

Picture-034-1024-crop.jpg

Shortening and squaring the stock an inch, and 1-1/4" sling swivels, was all it needed.

9 hours ago, Mirabeau said:

FAIL!

YOU ARE A LIAR!

THERE IS NO SUCH PERSON AND NO SUCH ADDRESS IN GAYLORD, MI!

NEITHER EXISTS!

YOU ARE A LYING POS, AND A COWARD!

SO, ONCE MORE:

Hahahahahahahahahaha 

Yep.

Running away.

You're nothing but an old fool.

Hahahahahahahahahaha 

Let's keep playing this game shall we?

I'll post another so you can feverishly verify it,then you can come on here screaming about how much of a coward I am.

Then we'll repeat it.

Fun for all.

Try this one fag.

Pete Wilkins.

240 Marsh dr.

Grand Vale Wisconsin.

I'll be waiting for whatever your outraged reply might be old girl.

I fired the M1 carbine a few times and liked it. The round did not have much power but the rifle was lightweight and easily maneuverable. The "Banana Magazine" was prone to jamming so i would prefer the standard 15 round mag.