McDonald's Travis Scott Meal proves to be popular, leading to shortages and upcoming change

Kelly Tyko, USA TODAY
USA TODAYSeptember 16, 2020, 9:58 AM

7646b98250072fcafd5b6143f03597e5

Cactus Jack sent his fans to McDonald's, and more showed up to order the Travis Scott Meal than anticipated.

A week after the rapper and fast-food chain's collaboration meal debuted nationwide, some restaurants are running short on key ingredients including Quarter Pounder beef, bacon, slivered onions and shredded lettuce, according to a McDonald's memo obtained by USA TODAY on Tuesday.

"We’ve created a program that’s so compelling to our customers that it’s stretching our world-class supply chain; and if demand continues at these levels, more restaurants will break supply," McDonald's said in the memo sent to employees, owners and operators across the country.

The $6 collab meal, which features a Quarter Pounder with Cheese, bacon and lettuce, a medium order of fries with BBQ sauce and a Sprite, was scheduled to be available through Oct. 4.

The promotion will continue but, starting Sept. 22, to get the Travis Scott Meal for $6 it will have to be ordered through the McDonald's app.

McDonald's confirmed the supply shortages were due to overwhelming demand, the upcoming promotion shift to app-only and other details outlined in the memo to USA TODAY.

"In fact, it’s been so lit, some of our restaurants have temporarily sold out of some of the ingredients in the meal," the chain said in a statement to USA TODAY. "We’re working closely with our suppliers, distributors and franchisees to resupply impacted restaurants as quickly as possible."

Free Spicy Chicken McNuggets: McDonald's offering 'Spicesurance' buy-one-get-one deal Wednesday on app

Mountain Dew alcoholic drink: Mountain Dew creates first official cocktail for Red Lobster, the 'Dew Garita.' Here's when you can try the tequila drink.

Travis Scott went to the oldest operating McDonald’s in Downey, California, to order his limited-time collab at the fast-food chain.
Travis Scott went to the oldest operating McDonald’s in Downey, California, to order his limited-time collab at the fast-food chain.

On Wednesday, McDonald's will start selling Spicy Chicken McNuggets and has a one-day buy-one-get-one-free deal called "Spicesurance," a promotion that was previously planned and will only be available on the app.

The collaboration is the first time the fast-food chain has had a celebrity meal in nearly 30 years. In 1992, McDonald's had a Michael Jordan meal.

“With the launch of the Travis Scott Meal, we broke records across our social channels," McDonald's said in the memo. "Since then, the overwhelmingly positive response has continued, far exceeding even our highest expectations.”

The memo included ways customers have been ordering the meal, some which were part of marketing and social media materials including the line, “Say Cactus Jack sent you.” Other variations include: “It’s lit, sickomode,” “The fornite guy burger,” or “You know why I am here” often said while playing Travis Scott music.

Scott and his team also designed custom apparel for McDonald’s crew and those shirts "will continue to arrive at restaurants through Sept. 25," the memo said.

"What we’ve learned from this promotion will be carried forward to the upcoming activations," McDonald's said in the memo. "While some restaurants may see a temporary limitation on supplies, it’s a short-term pain that will absolutely lead to long-term gain."

Past collaborations with Scott have also been popular. In April, Fortnite hosted the rapper in a performance that drew more than 12 million concurrent players.

McDonald's said in its statement that it has "more surprises from Cactus Jack coming soon.”

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe you should buy some McDonalds stock to show your support.

The dog also eats wood rats, clothespins, and washcloths. 

3 hours ago, tunafish said:

McDonald's Travis Scott Meal proves to be popular, leading to shortages and upcoming change

Kelly Tyko, USA TODAY
USA TODAYSeptember 16, 2020, 9:58 AM

7646b98250072fcafd5b6143f03597e5

Cactus Jack sent his fans to McDonald's, and more showed up to order the Travis Scott Meal than anticipated.

A week after the rapper and fast-food chain's collaboration meal debuted nationwide, some restaurants are running short on key ingredients including Quarter Pounder beef, bacon, slivered onions and shredded lettuce, according to a McDonald's memo obtained by USA TODAY on Tuesday.

"We’ve created a program that’s so compelling to our customers that it’s stretching our world-class supply chain; and if demand continues at these levels, more restaurants will break supply," McDonald's said in the memo sent to employees, owners and operators across the country.

The $6 collab meal, which features a Quarter Pounder with Cheese, bacon and lettuce, a medium order of fries with BBQ sauce and a Sprite, was scheduled to be available through Oct. 4.

The promotion will continue but, starting Sept. 22, to get the Travis Scott Meal for $6 it will have to be ordered through the McDonald's app.

McDonald's confirmed the supply shortages were due to overwhelming demand, the upcoming promotion shift to app-only and other details outlined in the memo to USA TODAY.

"In fact, it’s been so lit, some of our restaurants have temporarily sold out of some of the ingredients in the meal," the chain said in a statement to USA TODAY. "We’re working closely with our suppliers, distributors and franchisees to resupply impacted restaurants as quickly as possible."

Free Spicy Chicken McNuggets: McDonald's offering 'Spicesurance' buy-one-get-one deal Wednesday on app

Mountain Dew alcoholic drink: Mountain Dew creates first official cocktail for Red Lobster, the 'Dew Garita.' Here's when you can try the tequila drink.

On Wednesday, McDonald's will start selling Spicy Chicken McNuggets and has a one-day buy-one-get-one-free deal called "Spicesurance," a promotion that was previously planned and will only be available on the app.

The collaboration is the first time the fast-food chain has had a celebrity meal in nearly 30 years. In 1992, McDonald's had a Michael Jordan meal.

“With the launch of the Travis Scott Meal, we broke records across our social channels," McDonald's said in the memo. "Since then, the overwhelmingly positive response has continued, far exceeding even our highest expectations.”

The memo included ways customers have been ordering the meal, some which were part of marketing and social media materials including the line, “Say Cactus Jack sent you.” Other variations include: “It’s lit, sickomode,” “The fornite guy burger,” or “You know why I am here” often said while playing Travis Scott music.

Scott and his team also designed custom apparel for McDonald’s crew and those shirts "will continue to arrive at restaurants through Sept. 25," the memo said.

"What we’ve learned from this promotion will be carried forward to the upcoming activations," McDonald's said in the memo. "While some restaurants may see a temporary limitation on supplies, it’s a short-term pain that will absolutely lead to long-term gain."

Past collaborations with Scott have also been popular. In April, Fortnite hosted the rapper in a performance that drew more than 12 million concurrent players.

McDonald's said in its statement that it has "more surprises from Cactus Jack coming soon.”

Since he's a darkskinned negro, I bet people are happy that they don't have to look at him ---since McDonald's used a cartoon/animated doll of Travis, for the promo, because they knew how people would cringe if they had to look at an actual darkskinned person in the promo ad on social media and tv networks

1 hour ago, king of the county said:

Never heard of him 

His fame skyrocketed when he procreated with one of the hot Kardashian sisters. For some reason, within all of their pasty-White carcasses, they only let darkskinned negros impregnate them lol and this loon takes the cake as the Kardashian he impregnated was PUBLICLY dating a light-skinned Obama looking character to satisfy The Dem Party and their Entertainment Industry ---but then she cheated on him with mr. McNegro here who impregnated her in the process. tsk tsk

14 minutes ago, 123urout said:

Can you believe corporations prop that type of pathetic scum? This country has been dragged into the shitter because of Demonrats.

Well, I don't invest in McDonalds (although they would be a pretty good investment) and I don't eat there.

2 hours ago, king of the county said:

Never heard of him 

You are as ever, behind the times. You are not a rap music fan and do not have much intellectual curiosity, which is why people conclude that you are ignorant.

Travis Scott is a rapper, and has sold his fame to McDonald's as a way of selling more MacBurgers.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/food/2020/09/15/travis-scott-meal-mcdonalds-shortage-high-demand-cactus-jack/5811186002/

This is a clever marketing tool, that seems to be inspired by Popeye's marketing of the Chicken Sandwich.

By doing this, McDonald's can speed up the t6empo of serving customers by having more specific items ready when the prospective customer (not Kingaroo or me) walks through the door.

McDonald's is far from making the best burgers or even providing the best value for the price, but its advertising here seems to be quite effective.

1 minute ago, XavierOnassis said:

You are as ever, behind the times.

Travis Scott is a rapper, and has sold his fame to McDonald's as a way of selling more MacBurgers.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/food/2020/09/15/travis-scott-meal-mcdonalds-shortage-high-demand-cactus-jack/5811186002/

Maybe you should buy some McDonalds stock to show your support.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

You are as ever, behind the times. You are not a rap music fan and do not have much intellectual curiosity, which is why people conclude that you are ignorant.

This is a clever marketing tool, that seems to be inspired by Popeye's marketing of the Chicken Sandwich.

By doing this, McDonald's can speed up the t6empo of serving customers by having more specific items ready when the prospective customer (not Kingaroo or me) walks through the door.

McDonald's is far from making the best burgers or even providing the best value for the price, but its advertising here seems to be quite effective.

There is a McD's two blocks from my home, but I rarely go there.

When Comcast fails me, I occasionally order a senior coffee and use their Internet.

I favor Checkers for my burgers, and use the coupons.

Just now, XavierOnassis said:

I do not need to do this. I invest in mutual funds and ETF's alone, and note that three of the funds I own have MCD in their portfolios.

It is not my goal to "support" businesses. My goal as a capitalist is to produce more capital. Of course, if MCD were poisoning customers, I would not invest in funds that own MCD, but odds are the advisors would do the same. I note that Disney was sold by several funds in March, anticipating that it would have less revenues because of Covid.

23 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

Now, if you really want to see a clever marketing tool: 

th?id=OIP._1JW1zna0y1VC9opdUMNQgHaFj:OIP

With the chicken inside the watermelon add in the lemon peel, chopped garlic, chopped onion and the wine. Soak some bamboo skewers in water and attach the lid of the watermelon to the top to help steam the chicken

8 minutes ago, AnotherJim said:

Now, if you really want to see a clever marketing tool: 

th?id=OIP._1JW1zna0y1VC9opdUMNQgHaFj:OIP

With the chicken inside the watermelon add in the lemon peel, chopped garlic, chopped onion and the wine. Soak some bamboo skewers in water and attach the lid of the watermelon to the top to help steam the chicken

Not clever, McDonald's would require massive reorganization to prepare this in any of their locations.

Give yourself another bigotry point, Jimbo.

23 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

I do not need to do this. I invest in mutual funds and ETF's alone, and note that three of the funds I own have MCD in their portfolios.

McDonalds was in my investment list in another thread. I won't invest in it.  It's got a PE ratio of about 35 right now - too rich for me for an established company, but its one that will bounce big when the vaccine comes out.

2 hours ago, pmurT said:

His fame skyrocketed when he procreated with one of the hot Kardashian sisters. For some reason, within all of their pasty-White carcasses, they only let darkskinned negros impregnate them lol and this loon takes the cake as the Kardashian he impregnated was PUBLICLY dating a light-skinned Obama looking character to satisfy The Dem Party and their Entertainment Industry ---but then she cheated on him with mr. McNegro here who impregnated her in the process. tsk tsk

They love thick long Johnson’s 

1 hour ago, XavierOnassis said:

I listen to vanilla ice when he comes on the radio 📻