People change people can change things change

Byrd later called joining the KKK "the greatest mistake I ever made."[23] In 1997, he told an interviewer he would encourage young people to become involved in politics but also warned, "Be sure you avoid the Ku Klux Klan. Don't get that albatross around your neck. Once you've made that mistake, you inhibit your operations in the political arena."[24] In his last autobiography, Byrd explained that he was a KKK member because he "was sorely afflicted with tunnel vision—a jejune and immature outlook—seeing only what I wanted to see because I thought the Klan could provide an outlet for my talents and ambitions."[25] Byrd also said in 2005, "I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times ... and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened."[12]

byrd02-09b2bc7485060c9e8ecf3201ecc793c7b

In a March 2, 2001, interview with Tony Snow, Byrd said of race relations:

They're much, much better than they've ever been in my life-time ... I think we talk about race too much. I think those problems are largely behind us ... I just think we talk so much about it that we help to create somewhat of an illusion. I think we try to have good will. My old mom told me, 'Robert, you can't go to heaven if you hate anybody.' We practice that. There are white niggers. I've seen a lot of white niggers in my time, if you want to use that word. We just need to work together to make our country a better country, and I'd just as soon quit talking about it so much.[82][83]

Byrd's use of the term "white nigger" created immediate controversy. When asked about it, Byrd's office provided this in a written response,

I apologize for the characterization I used on this program ... The phrase dates back to my boyhood and has no place in today's society ... In my attempt to articulate strongly held feelings, I have offended people that I never intended to offend.[84][83]

For the 2003–2004 session, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)[85] rated Byrd's voting record as being 100% in line with the NAACP's position on the thirty-three Senate bills they evaluated. Sixteen other senators received that rating. In June 2005, Byrd proposed an additional $10,000,000 in federal funding for the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial in Washington, D.C., remarking that, "With the passage of time, we have come to learn that his Dream was the American Dream, and few ever expressed it more eloquently."[86] Upon news of his death, the NAACP released a statement praising Byrd, saying that he "became a champion for civil rights and liberties" and "came to consistently support the NAACP civil rights agenda".[87] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Byrd#Race

Byrd was reelected again and again because he attracted a lot of government spending to his impoverished state.  The percentage of Black people in WV is 93.4% White and under 4% Black, so his history with the KKK was not much of an issue. Byrd held no leadership position in the Klan and those photos shown of him in fancy regalia are fake, and those who post them are just stupid.