Any football fans in here? Any predictions for the coming season?

On 9/12/2020 at 11:25 PM, Imgreatagain said:

I’ve spent countless sundays watching football to appease other people. 
smh 

Sorry to hear that IGA. I used to love football, and Black people. Now all they know how to do is screw things up for a whole lot of folks. Not only that I know neither of the teams I like are every going to win anyway.

On 9/4/2020 at 11:28 AM, impartialobserver said:

I will say that there are 3 teams that simply do the draft right. They may not get All Pro players with every pick but they get it right more often than not and never swing and miss terribly (Tim Tebow, Jamarcus Russell, Brandon Weeden). Those teams are Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Minnesota. Steelers year in and year out play the draft right and therefore never bottom out completely. Even with no Big Ben, they were not too far out of playoff contention. Needless to say, I have great respect for that organization. If I was a pro football player and ended up there, I would relish it. 

ALL & ALL?  A good opening weekend of football... Chiefs Ravens looked REALLY good... other than that... I wouldn't make any drastic predictions... I liked what the Steelers showed...  Big Ben, after almost a YEAR out of the game.. came back, albeit a little slow at first... but flashed the QB he once was... and looks like he has a LOT of good, young weapons around him !!  I was impressed by the Giants... I KNOW how good the Steeler defense is, and the young QB (Jones?), and guys around him... looked like Brady and the Patriots at times...

I just hope they don't take the Racial Justice thing too far... I know... I support the concept as well... BUT, I'm not so blind at to not see that BLM, and many others, are just USING it to try to inflame and enrage AMERICS... and THAT is not good for ANYONE !! 

If the choice is between the NFL, and the USA?  I'll take the USA EVERY TIME !!

1 hour ago, ConservativeVoice said:

ALL & ALL?  A good opening weekend of football... Chiefs Ravens looked REALLY good... other than that... I wouldn't make any drastic predictions... I liked what the Steelers showed...  Big Ben, after almost a YEAR out of the game.. came back, albeit a little slow at first... but flashed the QB he once was... and looks like he has a LOT of good, young weapons around him !!  I was impressed by the Giants... I KNOW how good the Steeler defense is, and the young QB (Jones?), and guys around him... looked like Brady and the Patriots at times...

I just hope they don't take the Racial Justice thing too far... I know... I support the concept as well... BUT, I'm not so blind at to not see that BLM, and many others, are just USING it to try to inflame and enrage AMERICS... and THAT is not good for ANYONE !! 

If the choice is between the NFL, and the USA?  I'll take the USA EVERY TIME !!

I don't think  it is to enrage or inflame people.

20 hours ago, jerra- said:

I don't think  it is to enrage or inflame people.

WHAT are the RIOTS?... the HATE and VITRIOL in the political process?... and the CONSTANT LIES and DEMEANING attacks on a LEGITIMATELY elected and SITTING President of the United States?... WHO... by ANY REASONABLE account... is doing a HELL of a JOB as President !!??

WHAT is ALL of that, if not to Enrage and inflame people ?

2 hours ago, ConservativeVoice said:

WHAT are the RIOTS?... the HATE and VITRIOL in the political process?... and the CONSTANT LIES and DEMEANING attacks on a LEGITIMATELY elected and SITTING President of the United States?... WHO... by ANY REASONABLE account... is doing a HELL of a JOB as President !!??

WHAT is ALL of that, if not to Enrage and inflame people ?

did any riots stem from anything the NFL did? if so, I missed it.

On 9/3/2020 at 2:08 PM, impartialobserver said:

College football starts tonight. This season is simply not going to live up to standards of the past. Less games, less teams, players opting out, fewer (if any) fans, and none of the pageantry that makes college football unique. Just wait until next year. 

Watch D2 Football instead. 

1 hour ago, impartialobserver said:

I do not miss it as much as I thought that I would. Besides, my back yard is really coming along. Replaced 96 feet of fencing, removed a 65-inch diameter tree stump, and such. Probably a better use of my time. 

How did you get rid of the tree stump?  I've got one I need to destroy myself, and I'm trying to avoid renting a stump grinder.

8 minutes ago, Skans said:

How did you get rid of the tree stump?  I've got one I need to destroy myself, and I'm trying to avoid renting a stump grinder.

I ended up hiring someone to operate a stump grinder. It was simply too large to do it myself and not have it take many days/weeks. 

However, lack of forethought on my part found me having to dig up and hack away at very large tree roots. For that i had to get a larger chain saw and a pry bar. 

16 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

I ended up hiring someone to operate a stump grinder. It was simply too large to do it myself and not have it take many days/weeks. 

However, lack of forethought on my part found me having to dig up and hack away at very large tree roots. For that i had to get a larger chain saw and a pry bar. 

I was afraid you were going to say that.  I had to have a half-dead tree removed.  The jack-ass that removed it ground the stump, but only half of the stump.  So, I suppose I'm going to have to get one of my shittier chainsaws and cut up the rest of the stump myself.  It's a maple, so it won't be easy. 

Just now, Skans said:

I was afraid you were going to say that.  I had to have a half-dead tree removed.  The jack-ass that removed it ground the stump, but only half of the stump.  So, I suppose I'm going to have to get one of my shittier chainsaws and cut up the rest of the stump myself.  It's a maple, so it won't be easy. 

You got me beat on this one. Mine was a cottonwood that had been pretty much dead for years. Only issue that complicated it was that it was right on the fence line.  Therefore if I would have ripped it out with a pulley system/crane or truck, I would have destroyed the fence and the neighboring property. 

1 minute ago, impartialobserver said:

You got me beat on this one. Mine was a cottonwood that had been pretty much dead for years. Only issue that complicated it was that it was right on the fence line.  Therefore if I would have ripped it out with a pulley system/crane or truck, I would have destroyed the fence and the neighboring property. 

I used potassium nitrate to facilitate the rotting of a big old pine stump once, and in about 6 months it was rotten enough to easily remove it.  This maple got attacked by beetles which killed half the tree.  The dead half of the tree rotted out and the tree leaned at about a 75 degree angle before I had it removed.  it pushed a large portion of the trunk under the grass which the tree guy just left there.

I thought about using straps and my jeep to pull out the stump.  However, I think I burned the clutch doing that before - had to have the clutch replaced at 90K miles.

5 minutes ago, Skans said:

I used potassium nitrate to facilitate the rotting of a big old pine stump once, and in about 6 months it was rotten enough to easily remove it.  This maple got attacked by beetles which killed half the tree.  The dead half of the tree rotted out and the tree leaned at about a 75 degree angle before I had it removed.  it pushed a large portion of the trunk under the grass which the tree guy just left there.

I thought about using straps and my jeep to pull out the stump.  However, I think I burned the clutch doing that before - had to have the clutch replaced at 90K miles.

I tried the potassium nitrate route but probably was not patient enough. Had I to do it over again, I would have rented a truck for the disposal of the wood. I do not own a truck and disposing of 60 to 70 three foot stumps is not easy if you do not have one. Cottonwood as I found out carries zero heat value and so had no value for me. 

On 9/17/2020 at 11:06 AM, Skans said:

On 9/17/2020 at 11:14 AM, impartialobserver said:

I tried the potassium nitrate route but probably was not patient enough. Had I to do it over again, I would have rented a truck for the disposal of the wood. I do not own a truck and disposing of 60 to 70 three foot stumps is not easy if you do not have one. Cottonwood as I found out carries zero heat value and so had no value for me. 

Something to think about, depending on where you live... for NEXT time ! 

I had a pretty big stump once, and didn't want to go the stump grinder route... so a dug out around stump, about a foot deep... bought a bag of charcoal, and put the charcoal around the tree.  I started it on fire in the morning, and by late that day it was still burning... so I covered it with the dirt I gad dug out, and let it smolder until it went out... took about 4 days.  But, when I went backs and tried to move it... it was loose.  I till had to get rid of the stump though. 

FYI... if it helps !!

12 hours ago, ConservativeVoice said:

Something to think about, depending on where you live... for NEXT time ! 

I had a pretty big stump once, and didn't want to go the stump grinder route... so a dug out around stump, about a foot deep... bought a bag of charcoal, and put the charcoal around the tree.  I started it on fire in the morning, and by late that day it was still burning... so I covered it with the dirt I gad dug out, and let it smolder until it went out... took about 4 days.  But, when I went backs and tried to move it... it was loose.  I till had to get rid of the stump though. 

FYI... if it helps !!

I'm reading your account with baited breath thinking you are a genius who just solved my problem; then I get to your very last sentence........, and cried. :lol: