Cortez posts poem after told she’ll get 1 minute to speak at Dem convention

AOC posts poem after told she’ll get 1 minute to speak at Dem convention

Some people reacting to Ocasio-Cortez’s post accused the Democratic Party leadership of trying to stifle the congresswoman

AOC, Cuomo in battle over billionaires in New York

Time – even as short as one minute -- is what you make of it, U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez appeared to be saying Wednesday evening.

The New York Democrat reacted on Twitter to a report that she’ll get just 60 seconds to speak when she participates next week in the Democratic Party’s mostly online national convention.

Ocasio-Cortez quoted from “God’s Minute,” by the late civil rights leader Dr. Benjamin E. Mays, whose poem was a commentary on the brevity of life.

“I only have a minute. Sixty seconds in it. Forced upon me, I did not choose it, But I know that I must use it,” the poem reads.

“Give account if I abuse it. Suffer if I lose it. Only a tiny little minute, But eternity is in it,” the congresswoman concluded, retweeting a post containing a link to the Business Insider story.

Ocasio-Cortez's convention remarks will be pre-recorded in New York, the report said.

Some people reacting to Ocasio-Cortez’s post accused the Democratic Party leadership of trying to stifle the congresswoman – a progressive who supported independent U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont for president instead of the party’s presumptive standard-bearer, former Vice President Joe Biden.

“I only have a minute.

Sixty seconds in it.

Forced upon me, I did not choose it,

But I know that I must use it.

Give account if I abuse it.

Suffer, if I lose it.

Only a tiny little minute,

But eternity is in it.”

- Dr. Benjamin E. Mays

(and recited by Elijah Cummings)

“What a slap to the progressive wing,” one Twitter user wrote. “It’s a constant spite of us. They think we will cower and peter [out]. They are wrong. We ain’t going anywhere. With @AOC as our leader we’re just getting started. Now that the squad was re-elected we are ready to rumble in the halls of Congress.”

“Other speakers should finish early then say at the end of [theirs] that the remainder of their time is going to @AOC,” another wrote.

Some noted that the brief allotment of time for Ocasio-Cortez came despite victories by her and two other “Squad” allies – U.S. Reps. Rashida Tlaib of Michigan and Ilhan Omar of Minnesota – in their respective Democratic primaries as they head toward general elections in November. The fourth member of the Squad, U.S. Rep. Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts, faces a primary election next month.

“Democratic Establishment have no clue how many hard-core Democratic voters are abandoning them only because of their ignorant left vs. right mantra,” a Twitter user wrote. “The strategy which makes Trump win in 2016 is being dumped by the DNC. They are digging their own graves.”

One Twitter user noted that past convention speakers ignored the short amount of time they were granted.

“[Bill] Clinton was given 15 minutes in 1988,” the user wrote. “He spoke for 33 and was booed off the stage. Obama spoke for 17 minutes (including stopping for applause 33 times!), it wasn’t even shown on network TV, and he made us believe we could change the world. I can’t wait for AOC’s 60 seconds.”

The Democrats will convene starting next Monday through Aug. 20, mostly online – but with the event anchored in Milwaukee, the city that had been selected to host a more conventional gathering in July before the coronavirus pandemic prompted a rescheduling and a radical change in plans.

Ocasio-Cortez is scheduled to speak Tuesday night, after Sanders speaks Monday night.

Other speakers during the week will include former presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama and former first lady Michelle Obama.

Later in the week, Biden and running mate Kamala Harris are expected to accept the party’s nomination for president and vice president, respectively, heading toward a November showdown with President Trump and Vice President Pence.

45 minutes ago, freeman said:

Her having one minute will make it less burdensome to dissect her abject stupidity and evil line by line.

60 seconds is about a minute too long for that bitch...

5 minutes ago, rippy38 said:

She is a rookie House Rep finishing up her first term, yet for some reason she thinks she runs the show in DC.

Typical libocrat.

(SIGHS)  we're doomed...

20 minutes ago, rippy38 said:

She is a rookie House Rep finishing up her first term, yet for some reason she thinks she runs the show in DC.

Maybe that's because she is running the democrat morons in DC.

"Done by a young bartender 29 years old" - Trump

ocasio-cortez-green-new-deal.jpg

3 minutes ago, AnotherJim said:

Obama spoke for 17 minutes (including stopping for applause 33 times!), it wasn’t even shown on network TV, and he made us believe we could change the world.  So he said FREE STUFF 33 times; what about it? Obama gonna pay ma rent.

Don’t hold your breath 

5 minutes ago, AnotherJim said:

Obama spoke for 17 minutes (including stopping for applause 33 times!), it wasn’t even shown on network TV, and he made us believe we could change the world.  So he said FREE STUFF 33 times; what about it? Obama gonna pay ma rent.

No but it looks like Washington is going to extend preventing your landlord from collecting it and using it to pay his own bills.

9 minutes ago, freeman said:

No but it looks like Washington is going to extend preventing your landlord from collecting it and using it to pay his own bills.

If one gets kicked out just go to Barry’s place on the island I’m sure he will give all who come there a bed 

2 hours ago, king of the county said:

AOC posts poem...

“I only have a minute.

So, I'll hate America in it.

Forced upon me, I did not choose it,

Annoyed by your US Citizenship? Lose it!

Check the scrolls yall, I did abuse it:

Tool called "Democracy" I'm infusing!

Only a tiny little minute,

My *anti-USA* skill will win it!

- Whiny Dems who hate the USA

(and recited by satanic fools)

...fixed

• Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

You realize that you can ignore the Democratic Convention TOTALLY and have no need to dissect anything.

I will of course ignore the Marxist buffoon fest, and find a transcript of the 29-year old bartender's 100 trillion dollar spending and citizen control promises after the event, to expose as the pure idiocy it will necessarily be. At least as understood by grownups.

Or do you think it's smart to spend 100 trillion dollars based on a 29-year old bartender's warped dreams?

5 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

You realize that you can ignore the Democratic Convention TOTALLY and have no need to dissect anything.

EXCELLENT! I like the way you think...(but just on this one topic reply)

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, AnotherJim said:

That was 17 minutes I will never get back so that he could bribe people to vote for him with the public treasure.

29 minutes ago, AnotherJim said:

So, in actuality, he spoke about a minute as well...

31 minutes ago, AnotherJim said:

27 minutes ago, king of the county said:

Don’t hold your breath 

The “Obama will pay for my gas and mortgage" lady has now turned on him

You gotta remember Peggy Joseph! She’s the Florida woman who said after an Obama speech in 2008: “I won’t have to worry about puttin’ gas in my car, I won’t have to worry about payin’ my mortgage.”

Now even SHE has turned on the president and has seen the light shining as bright as the hot sun on a non-man-made globally warm day.

In the upcoming documentary “There’s No Place Like Uopia,” filmmaker Joel Gilbert found Peggy and was surprised to learn that the former Internet phenom is now strongly ANTI-Obama!

Gilbert spoke with her for his documentary, and learned she lives in the suburbs, is a soccer mom with four kids and is working as a nurse. She’s never taken any government freebies in her life and admitted that she had gotten caught up in the historical moment of Barack Obama’s election and wasn’t thinking for herself.

In this just released clip, Peggy Joseph is well-spoken. When asked by Gilbert, “Did Obama pay for your mortgage and did he pay for your gas?” Joseph laughs and replies, “Absolutely not! Mortgage got worse and gas prices got higher … At that time we needed a change but a change for the better not the worse.”

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jul/15/humphries-feel-good-story-peggy-joseph/

24 minutes ago, rippy38 said:

The “Obama will pay for my gas and mortgage" lady has now turned on him

You gotta remember Peggy Joseph! She’s the Florida woman who said after an Obama speech in 2008: “I won’t have to worry about puttin’ gas in my car, I won’t have to worry about payin’ my mortgage.”

Now even SHE has turned on the president and has seen the light shining as bright as the hot sun on a non-man-made globally warm day.

In the upcoming documentary “There’s No Place Like Uopia,” filmmaker Joel Gilbert found Peggy and was surprised to learn that the former Internet phenom is now strongly ANTI-Obama!

Gilbert spoke with her for his documentary, and learned she lives in the suburbs, is a soccer mom with four kids and is working as a nurse. She’s never taken any government freebies in her life and admitted that she had gotten caught up in the historical moment of Barack Obama’s election and wasn’t thinking for herself.

In this just released clip, Peggy Joseph is well-spoken. When asked by Gilbert, “Did Obama pay for your mortgage and did he pay for your gas?” Joseph laughs and replies, “Absolutely not! Mortgage got worse and gas prices got higher … At that time we needed a change but a change for the better not the worse.”

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jul/15/humphries-feel-good-story-peggy-joseph/

She’ll vote for Biden 

• Haha 1