slideman

hey maineman

37 minutes ago, slideman said:

In point of fact I was a sonar technician in the US Navy

did you ever tell me what sonar you worked with?

3 minutes ago, maineman said:

did you ever tell me what sonar you worked with?

I was on the USS Rogers a training vessel for reserves we had an old system the 23

the knowledge of tube electronics has come in handy as most guitar amplifiers use vacuum tubes

1 minute ago, slideman said:

I was on the USS Rogers a training vessel for reserves we had an old system the 23

the knowledge of tube electronics has come in handy as most guitar amplifiers use vacuum tubes

I like the 23.... I was ASWO on Farragut and we had the 23 (pair) - double domes - that was fun, but the 26 was my fave.

1 hour ago, EltonJohnson said:

make sure you thank him for his  service and for  leaving the service

More like for  leaving  the service !

IF it's true that he ever served !

And, for convenience's  sake, we'll just take his word for that !

Just now, maineman said:

I like the 23.... I was ASWO on Farragut and we had the 23 (pair) - double domes - that was fun, but the 26 was my fave.

The 23 pair was a much newer system

we had the old 23 which for its time was an amazing sensor.

1 hour ago, EltonJohnson said:

maineman was career navy,    Annapolis   too...   yet he still hates  America

make sure you thank him for his  service and for  leaving the service

fuck you you cowardly asshole. I love my country, and unlike you, I was patriotic enough to want to serve it. 

2 minutes ago, maineman said:

fuck you you cowardly asshole. I love my country, and unlike you, I was patriotic enough to want to serve it. 

Did you do NGFS in Vietnam or was that before your time?

Just now, slideman said:

The 23 pair was a much newer system

we had the old 23 which for its time was an amazing sensor.

yeah... Farragut got retrofitted with 23 pair in the shipyard in '74-5.  I was initially the DCA and then cross decked to ASWO and then spot promoted to take an unexpected vacancy as WEPS.  With the 23 pair you could detect a sub two different ways.... actively and passively at the same time.  very fun.

48 minutes ago, RebelGator said:

Russian or Chinese?

You sure as hell weren't American.

Ouch..!

Just now, slideman said:

Did you do NGFS in Vietnam or was that before your time?

just before my time.  I was on an east coast ship and, in '72 when I graduated, the Navy presence in Vietnam was pretty much all west coast ships.

3 minutes ago, maineman said:

just before my time.  I was on an east coast ship and, in '72 when I graduated, the Navy presence in Vietnam was pretty much all west coast ships.

I was on an East coast ship early in my enlistment. The Julius A Furer which had a 26 but I didn't get to use itI went in on a program under which you could go to see right away

I served on that ship as an E1 bosuns mate. The sea is a harsh mistress. Especially being a lookout in the North Atlantic in the winter time.I did get to steer the ship. That was quite an experience.

41 minutes ago, slideman said:

I would remind you I am a business person

I am a fervent capitalist. capitalism does not work in the field of health care as competition is not possible

when there is an emergency people go to the emergency room they don't sit down with a directory and figure out which one is going to be best.

And therein lies the problem.

No competition.

Our health care is a monopoly.          For profit.           

The players are feeding on grandma..........like vultures feed on roadkill.     

It is all just one big racket.         

John Gotti and Sammy the Bull wished they had invented it.           

It is a scam.               The whole system is a scam.

13 minutes ago, slideman said:

I've been dabbling in collecting vintage tubes since acquiring a OTL headphone amplifier (Darkvoice 336se).

I stumbled on a local shop that's been around since the 1940s. The owner, a cantankerous (but lovable) old man took over the shop from his father (who--as of March anyway--still comes in, must be deep into his 90s) still comes in with him.

As the owner "does not like dealing with audiophiles" they have a boatload of the "holy grail" vintage tubes that have soared to stratospheric prices in recent years available for a song.

Sometimes one gets lucky.

Bill

4 minutes ago, slideman said:

For once we agree

Sir,

I thank you for your service to the U.S. Navy.

That is something to be proud of.

I wounds my heart that we on not on the same page,...........with politics.

I will get over it.

Carry on, Sailor.                                           🍺

1 hour ago, maineman said:

great article.  Mike Gilday is 13 years younger than I am and we never served together.  He's a surface warfare officer like me and he's had two ship commands and a squadron command.  He's obviously been on some top notch ships as he as at least five Battle Efficiency "E" awards. (so do I ;) ).  Word among my classmates is that he seems like a pretty squared away CNO who has the sailors on his side (much like Mike Boorda did back in the '90s).  I think the article is correct in that the errors in basic seamanship that led to that string of collisions in Westpac are inexcusable and I cannot imagine putting to sea with a crew and wardroom that was not competent.... but the Op tempo is really jammed and the pressure from above to get back to sea is overwhelming, or so I hear.  I also agree with the author that the clown has been too heavy handed in countermanding Gilday's decisions. 

Anyway I think as CNO this guy could be one of the great ones

48 minutes ago, SpyCar said:

I've been dabbling in collecting vintage tubes since acquiring a OTL headphone amplifier (Darkvoice 336se).

I stumbled on a local shop that's been around since the 1940s. The owner, a cantankerous (but lovable) old man took over the shop from his father (who--as of March anyway--still comes in, must be deep into his 90s) still comes in with him.

As the owner "does not like dealing with audiophiles" they have a boatload of the "holy grail" vintage tubes that have soared to stratospheric prices in recent years available for a song.

Sometimes one gets lucky.

Bill

Had a neighbor who had a muscle tube amp ( may have been mono - some time ago ). Was there a company called Peavy or Peavey? I think I remember that name. When you turned it on the lights in the house dimed. Looked it up; Peavey is a famous amp company. My memory was spot on; phewwww, I thought for a minute I was Bidened.

7 minutes ago, AnotherJim said:

Had a neighbor who had a muscle tube amp ( may have been mono - some time ago ). Was there a company called Peavy or Peavey? I think I remember that name. When you turned it on the lights in the house dimed.

Peavey is a well-known manufacturer of musical instruments

I have this one the best damn guitar amp ever made

http://www.carramps.com/products/impala

30 minutes ago, slideman said:

Peavey is a well-known manufacturer of musical instruments

I have this one the best damn guitar amp ever made

http://www.carramps.com/products/impala

As a businessman you failed to respond to my rebuttal of your claim that medicine is not competitive.     You claim you claim you don’t run away, yet you sure did there.  

You have nothing to say thst counters my rebuttal?

1 minute ago, EltonJohnson said:

As a businessman you failed to respond to my rebuttal of your claim that medicine is not competitive.     You claim you claim you don’t run away, yet you sure did there.  

You have nothing to say thst counters my rebuttal?

The matter does not yield to simplistic arguments. The folks who stand to benefit have made the health care system so complex and so weighted in favor of the drug companies and the doctors that competition is impossible. in addition private insurance does not have the goal of providing medical care it has the goal of making a profit which in this case is not appropriate.

sick people have the right to health care regardless of their economic circumstances.

1 hour ago, maineman said:

You’re not patriotic anymore.

• Fuck you! 1

Just now, EltonJohnson said:

You’re not patriotic anymore.

Your idea of patriotism is kissing Trump's ass

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, slideman said:

Anyway I think as CNO this guy could be one of the great ones

Especially if, for  the second half of his tour, he has Biden as his CinC. 

Just now, slideman said:

. The folks who stand to benefit have made the health care system so complex and so weighted in favor of the drug companies and the doctors that competition is impossible. i

Doctors are not the enemy.   The government is, crony capitalism, like Obamacare that you gave us is the problem.  Insurance companies are the problem

you don’t know what you are talking about.

2 minutes ago, slideman said:

impossible. in addition private insurance does not have the goal of providing medical care it has the goal of making a profit which in this case is not appropriate.

Private insurance has moral problems and needs reform.   Government insurance is an abomination 

4 minutes ago, slideman said:

sick people have the right to health care regardless of their economic circumstances.

And they get it here, so stop lying