Jump to content
drvoke

As a Black woman, I faced hair discrimination in the Navy

Recommended Posts

 

  Governor Northam signs bill into law making hair discrimination ...

 

 

 

I’ll never forget the first day and my supervisor’s final words to my fellow sister recruits, “No, you can’t have hair grease! You’ll mess up my covers with that stuff!”

As I reflect on that moment, I’ll never forget the degrading tone of her voice. We understood the military’s regulations and policies; however, my supervisor’s negative comments and biases regarding certain types of hair products spoke to systematic hair discrimination.

 

 

Life isn't easy...for some of us.

 

 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/commentary-as-a-black-woman-i-faced-hair-discrimination-on-my-second-day-in-the-navy/ar-BB16h31a?ocid=spartan-dhp-feeds

(Full article at above link)

 

 

I was excited to embark on my new journey into the military and traveling the world.  Little did I know that I would experience harsh world of hair bigotry.

 During this challenging time, I often thought about the racial inequality and social injustice Black people endured for over 400 years. Fighting against slavery, the Jim Crow Era, the Civil Rights Movement, desegregation within the military, the right to vote, mass incarceration, police brutality, so on and so on.

I learned in college that In 1975, Army Specialist Babette Peyton was court-martialed for wearing cornrows, which violated the U.S. Army’s policy against so-called outlandish hairstyles, while serving in Germany.

 

“It makes me want to holla,” as expressed by Marvin Gaye, resonated deep within my soul.

I felt the overwhelming pressure to keep my hair within standards, which left me few options. Hair straightening eventually became my primary “mane choice.”

I never colored my hair and kept my length short because I didn’t want to be accused of violating regulations. All I wanted to do was serve my country. I didn’t want racial bias or discrimination to destroy my future in the military.

 

On Dec. 14, 2014, the United States announced changes to military regulations and grooming standards in support of women with braided hairstyles and natural hairstyles. The U.S. Marine Corps approved locks and twisted hairstyles in 2015. Then in January 2017, the U.S. Army finally approved grooming standards for the military to ban restrictions on dreadlocks.

For the first time in history, female Army soldiers were allowed to exercise their right to wear natural hair without fear of reprisal.

After transitioning to civilian life, I had more freedom to express myself, but there were still many opportunities that handicapped women of color because of our personal choice when it comes to hairstyles.

 

Fortunately, the signing in California of Senate Bill 188, the CROWN Act, began a tremendous change to that. The bill was introduced by Sen. Holly J. Mitchell, co-sponsored by Assemblywoman Shirley Weber and signed into law by Gov. Gavin Newsom on July 3, 2019. The CROWN in CROWN Act stands for “Create a Respectful and Open World for Natural Hair.” It is a law that prohibits discrimination based on hairstyle and hair texture, and it expanded the definition of race in the Fair Employment and Housing Act and Education Code to ensure protection against race-based hair discrimination in workplaces and in K-12 public and charter schools.

 

Now women of color, like me, can wear their crown with less fear of discrimination.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, drvoke said:

 

  Governor Northam signs bill into law making hair discrimination ...

 

 

 

I’ll never forget the first day and my supervisor’s final words to my fellow sister recruits, “No, you can’t have hair grease! You’ll mess up my covers with that stuff!”

As I reflect on that moment, I’ll never forget the degrading tone of her voice. We understood the military’s regulations and policies; however, my supervisor’s negative comments and biases regarding certain types of hair products spoke to systematic hair discrimination.

 

 

Life isn't easy...for some of us.

 

 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/commentary-as-a-black-woman-i-faced-hair-discrimination-on-my-second-day-in-the-navy/ar-BB16h31a?ocid=spartan-dhp-feeds

(Full article at above link)

 

 

I was excited to embark on my new journey into the military and traveling the world.  Little did I know that I would experience harsh world of hair bigotry.

 During this challenging time, I often thought about the racial inequality and social injustice Black people endured for over 400 years. Fighting against slavery, the Jim Crow Era, the Civil Rights Movement, desegregation within the military, the right to vote, mass incarceration, police brutality, so on and so on.

I learned in college that In 1975, Army Specialist Babette Peyton was court-martialed for wearing cornrows, which violated the U.S. Army’s policy against so-called outlandish hairstyles, while serving in Germany.

 

“It makes me want to holla,” as expressed by Marvin Gaye, resonated deep within my soul.

I felt the overwhelming pressure to keep my hair within standards, which left me few options. Hair straightening eventually became my primary “mane choice.”

I never colored my hair and kept my length short because I didn’t want to be accused of violating regulations. All I wanted to do was serve my country. I didn’t want racial bias or discrimination to destroy my future in the military.

 

On Dec. 14, 2014, the United States announced changes to military regulations and grooming standards in support of women with braided hairstyles and natural hairstyles. The U.S. Marine Corps approved locks and twisted hairstyles in 2015. Then in January 2017, the U.S. Army finally approved grooming standards for the military to ban restrictions on dreadlocks.

For the first time in history, female Army soldiers were allowed to exercise their right to wear natural hair without fear of reprisal.

After transitioning to civilian life, I had more freedom to express myself, but there were still many opportunities that handicapped women of color because of our personal choice when it comes to hairstyles.

 

Fortunately, the signing in California of Senate Bill 188, the CROWN Act, began a tremendous change to that. The bill was introduced by Sen. Holly J. Mitchell, co-sponsored by Assemblywoman Shirley Weber and signed into law by Gov. Gavin Newsom on July 3, 2019. The CROWN in CROWN Act stands for “Create a Respectful and Open World for Natural Hair.” It is a law that prohibits discrimination based on hairstyle and hair texture, and it expanded the definition of race in the Fair Employment and Housing Act and Education Code to ensure protection against race-based hair discrimination in workplaces and in K-12 public and charter schools.

 

Now women of color, like me, can wear their crown with less fear of discrimination.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thank you for notifying us of the further degeneration of the Armed Forces of the United States of America.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mirabeau said:

 

Thank you for notifying us of the further degeneration of the Armed Forces of the United States of America.

 

You're very welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dumbass bitch. There are rules and regulations in the services. They are known before one volunteers. How many guys do you here whining and sniveling when they get their hair, no matter the color of their skin - sheered off?

  • Thumb up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They shaved my head.

 

WTF?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Liberals just love to play victim any chance they get. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Vegas said:

Liberals just love to play victim any chance they get. 

But there was no hair grease ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, drvoke said:

 

  Governor Northam signs bill into law making hair discrimination ...

 

 

 

I’ll never forget the first day and my supervisor’s final words to my fellow sister recruits, “No, you can’t have hair grease! You’ll mess up my covers with that stuff!”

As I reflect on that moment, I’ll never forget the degrading tone of her voice. We understood the military’s regulations and policies; however, my supervisor’s negative comments and biases regarding certain types of hair products spoke to systematic hair discrimination.

 

 

Life isn't easy...for some of us.

 

 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/commentary-as-a-black-woman-i-faced-hair-discrimination-on-my-second-day-in-the-navy/ar-BB16h31a?ocid=spartan-dhp-feeds

(Full article at above link)

 

 

I was excited to embark on my new journey into the military and traveling the world.  Little did I know that I would experience harsh world of hair bigotry.

 During this challenging time, I often thought about the racial inequality and social injustice Black people endured for over 400 years. Fighting against slavery, the Jim Crow Era, the Civil Rights Movement, desegregation within the military, the right to vote, mass incarceration, police brutality, so on and so on.

I learned in college that In 1975, Army Specialist Babette Peyton was court-martialed for wearing cornrows, which violated the U.S. Army’s policy against so-called outlandish hairstyles, while serving in Germany.

 

“It makes me want to holla,” as expressed by Marvin Gaye, resonated deep within my soul.

I felt the overwhelming pressure to keep my hair within standards, which left me few options. Hair straightening eventually became my primary “mane choice.”

I never colored my hair and kept my length short because I didn’t want to be accused of violating regulations. All I wanted to do was serve my country. I didn’t want racial bias or discrimination to destroy my future in the military.

 

On Dec. 14, 2014, the United States announced changes to military regulations and grooming standards in support of women with braided hairstyles and natural hairstyles. The U.S. Marine Corps approved locks and twisted hairstyles in 2015. Then in January 2017, the U.S. Army finally approved grooming standards for the military to ban restrictions on dreadlocks.

For the first time in history, female Army soldiers were allowed to exercise their right to wear natural hair without fear of reprisal.

After transitioning to civilian life, I had more freedom to express myself, but there were still many opportunities that handicapped women of color because of our personal choice when it comes to hairstyles.

 

Fortunately, the signing in California of Senate Bill 188, the CROWN Act, began a tremendous change to that. The bill was introduced by Sen. Holly J. Mitchell, co-sponsored by Assemblywoman Shirley Weber and signed into law by Gov. Gavin Newsom on July 3, 2019. The CROWN in CROWN Act stands for “Create a Respectful and Open World for Natural Hair.” It is a law that prohibits discrimination based on hairstyle and hair texture, and it expanded the definition of race in the Fair Employment and Housing Act and Education Code to ensure protection against race-based hair discrimination in workplaces and in K-12 public and charter schools.

 

Now women of color, like me, can wear their crown with less fear of discrimination.

 

 

 

 

 

 

OH FFS the armed forces is not a social experiment. It is a place to break things and kill our enemies. STOP BEING A PUSSY.

 

Tired of people inventing things to be a victim of. You live in the most free and most spoiled nation in the history of mankind and you still are fucking crying and this time about fucking hair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, king of the county said:

Everyone lives by the same regs 

Not if you are a negro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


No holds barred chat

  • Hey kfools.. does this help? 


  • By Vegas

    Liberals are going to hell.


  • grgle



  • Where’s at @slideman?


  • Hola


  • I know this one, this new chat thing. I've seen it called the "shoutbox" among other things in my past. Very hard to hide from the chat box. The question is asked, there's no time to go search what other folks think, this is real time. Only seconds should be between chat box replies. This one is made for me. In the chat box one has to be quick on their feet with stuff at the ready. This chat box is the worst nightmare of anyone trying to deal with ol' teach. 


  • By pmurT

    hey @teacher that sounds like too much work for me LOL I need that useless thing called *time* in order to authenticate facts and truths which get posted by deceitful Dems


  • What does the red number refer to? currently, on my screen it says 2

     


  • Where does it say 2?


  • So. In the chat....if you tag a member the text afterwards should be a private message. 


  • How do? I'm teacher. If I'm online and the powers that be can figure out how to make it immediately apparent to me that whatever I've said here has been replied to I'm gonna show up right quick and kick some teeth in. It's the chat box, all this is new and scary. I know this gig. This starts now. 



  • Hey kfools, did you lose your securtiy cert? On my browser it is saying your site is not secure?


  • Mine too. I'm looking into it.


  • Mine too. 


  • I thought it was my location.. 


  • Just gave to renew the security cert. No big deal I'll do it tonight


  • OK thanks

     



  • Happy Anniversary, America... on your Civil Union.


  • All lives matter.


  • Double post deleted.


  • By teacher

    Scroll the other way for a while and you'll see me saying that these days the chat box ain't gonna work as one has to be quick on one's feet. The question is posed, there ain't no stinkin time for ya'll to refer to your betters for the answer, ya'll don't understand these things, this political debate, ya'll don't have the answer at hand, ya'll haven't thought this through, ya'll ain't ready for the next question I'll ask,  ya'll can't handle the pace that a bloke such as I can bring it in the chat box, ya'll can't handle this format.

     

    This one is made for me. 


  • By teacher

    Being offended does not make one correct. 


  • By teacher

    Some few days before the next election Mr. Fools is gonna pin my horse thread. it's gonna be horrible, I shall endevour every day to bring some some fresh. 

     

    I still own this cat box.


  • By teacher

    "I'm coming to you for ask a quick favor."


  • By teacher

    "Anyone that places a color in front of their name is racist." That one is not mine, got it from another member. 


  • Where’s all the hot bitches? 


  • By teacher

    Kidding me? 


  • How do I get rid of this chatroom box?


  • How do I get rid of this chatroom box?


  • Get me out of Chatbox!


  • By jefftec

    The chatbox stays expanded and is a nuisance blocking screen images. What setting is there to control/collapse chatbox?


  • By kfools

    Just click the no holds barred to collapse it.


  • By XavierOnassis

    diddle dee dee


  • By teacher

    Like Jesse Ventura said to all that would not take a chew in the movie "Predator." LF.org is a political debate forum. This chatbox just ups the opportunity to go at it. Ya'll have your political views, seems to me that ya'll should have thought these things out and be ready to battle. 


  • By teacher

    Is real time political debate a thing ya'll hide from? What do you morons do if you happen to run into some one with opposing political views on the street? 


  • By teacher

    I've never ran into anyone, in real life,  that said Obama lied. I run into folks that tell me Trump lies. I'm at work. I didn't bring it up. I don't reply, I'm representing a company. Not my place. 


  • By teacher

    Lookie there, all I have to do is get out and come back. Why is it that liberals, when they have a company man before them decide they that is the time they go off? Why would ya'll put a company man into that position? 


  • By teacher

    Chatbox is mine. 


  • By teacher

    There is no such thing as "reverse discrimination." There is only discrimination. To imply that black on white discrimination is reverse discrimination sort of lends some justification to the idea of so-called "reverse discrimination." Any discrimination is wrong. Original idea supplied to me by a man called Kyle. Credit where credit is due.


  • By teacher

    How do? I'm teacher. I told you unwashed masses long ago in this, the chat box what the rules were.  Told you all that I would rule the chat box. Go check it out. Scroll some. The chat box is supposed to be a place where debate can happen damn near instantaneously. At the onset I said that the chat box wouldn't fly and that is because the chat box demands that all needs to be ready for real time debate. Everybody but I fails.


You don't have permission to chat in this chatroom
×
×
  • Create New...