1 minute ago, rippy38 said:

Did he quit? Die?

Have a change of heart?

@kfools

Dunno.

My understanding was that we was going on vacation for a while where there was no internet.

Dunno for sure. Haven't heard from him in a while. I know he was less than thrilled I took the LO room away from the libs. 

Meh. We will see how it goes. The clone site wi have to reckon with the fact that this site will in short order not resemble anything copy-able by them. They seem adamant that taking useless banned members is to be thier model going forward. I am happy oblige. To bad though if they stay as they are they can't attract new members. Just the shit that has been going between these boards for years. 

Without change and innovation we can't grow. 

Giving members a room where they could trash the site with impunity and not be challenged was never wise. 

Like all construction you have to tear down to build up. What he does going forward will be up to him. This site requires very little policing now as the members we retained and the new ones seem able to follow the rules. I like that.

4 minutes ago, kfools said:

Dunno.

My understanding was that we was going on vacation for a while where there was no internet.

Dunno for sure. Haven't heard from him in a while. I know he was less than thrilled I took the LO room away from the libs. 

Meh. We will see how it goes. The clone site wi have to reckon with the fact that this site will in short order not resemble anything copy-able by them. They seem adamant that taking useless banned members is to be thier model going forward. I am happy oblige. To bad though if they stay as they are they can't attract new members. Just the shit that has been going between these boards for years. 

Giving members a room where they could trash the site with impunity and not be challenged was never wise. 

Like all construction you have to tear down to build up. What he does going forward will be up to him. This site requires very little policing now as the members we retained and the new ones seem able to follow the rules. I like that.

Reddit just purged a bunch of "free speech" subboards so there are a lot of people looking for a home, not to mention a whole host of other sites purging conservatives.

To bad this domain is "liberalforum", but maybe that could work to your advantage. Keep it a Free Speech Zone, and people will find it just the same.

Reddit just purged a bunch of "free speech" subboards so there are a lot of people looking for a home, not to mention a whole host of other sites purging conservatives.

To bad this domain is "liberalforum", but maybe that could work to your advantage. Keep it a Free Speech Zone, and people will find it just the same.

I'm not concerned man. Never have been. This board is plenty lively. Most of the destroyers were sent packing and set up gripe threads.

When we're done this place will be amazing. Little by little it's taking shape. The clone site will find out that sabatuers will quickly get bored there and turn thier attention to destroying that site instead. The kind of members we want we here we have here. Plenty of rule following Liberals who don't want to wreck the board just want a place to engage.

48 minutes ago, kfools said:

I'm not concerned man. Never have been. This board is plenty lively. Most of the destroyers were sent packing and set up gripe threads.

When we're done this place will be amazing. Little by little it's taking shape. The clone site will find out that sabatuers will quickly get bored there and turn thier attention to destroying that site instead. The kind of members we want we here we have here. Plenty of rule following Liberals who don't want to wreck the board just want a place to engage.

The difference between a chat board and a discussion board.

Keep the ship straight and narrow.

On 6/30/2020 at 10:38 PM, rippy38 said:

Did he quit? Die?

Have a change of heart?

@kfools

I'm here. Been tied up with my literary mag.

On 6/30/2020 at 10:49 PM, kfools said:

Dunno.

Part of facilitating free speech means letting people have their opinions. You will never be able to control the opinions of people. But if you attempt to, you'll create an echo-chamber just like all the other banal political spaces on the internet. I thought we were going for something different. 

On 6/30/2020 at 11:03 PM, kfools said:

I feel like it deserves to be much more. The improved features, the hands-off moderation, and the mixing of left and right should create a very robust intellectual space. Taunting and alienating left-wingers impedes that goal. 

2 minutes ago, kking said:

Taunting and alienating left-wingers impedes that goal. 

They alienate themselves usually.

Welcome back!

Just now, rippy38 said:

They alienate themselves usually.

In what sense? If they're chatting on a political site where liberals and conservatives mix freely, and are given privileges with the promise of some sort of creative control, then have it swiped away arbitrarily, that's alienating. 

On 7/1/2020 at 12:38 AM, rippy38 said:

Did he quit? Die?

Have a change of heart?

@kfools

Dissipated due to Global Warming.

1 minute ago, kking said:

In what sense? If they're chatting on a political site where liberals and conservatives mix freely, and are given privileges with the promise of some sort of creative control, then have it swiped away arbitrarily, that's alienating. 

I was referring more to self isolation.

Most of the members that left when the LO was taken down had no desire to interact with anyone on the right anyway. They were alienated of their own accord to begin with.

Olivaw is about the only one that ever posted in the open forum anyway, so it really hasn't changed the dynamic of the NHB that much at all.

5 minutes ago, rippy38 said:

I was referring more to self isolation.

Most of the members that left when the LO was taken down had no desire to interact with anyone on the right anyway. They were alienated of their own accord to begin with.

Olivaw is about the only one that ever posted in the open forum anyway, so it really hasn't changed the dynamic of the NHB that much at all.

And bludog and rolling rock?

Just now, kking said:

And bludog and rolling rock?

Bludog never posted on the NHB, and RR only every once in a while... from what I could tell anyway.

Bludog never posted on the NHB, and RR only every once in a while... from what I could tell anyway.

I've debated them several times. Regardless, if moderate and reasonable liberals are chased away, the place becomes more of an echo-chamber. 

9 minutes ago, kking said:

I've debated them several times. Regardless, if moderate and reasonable liberals are chased away, the place becomes more of an echo-chamber. 

You can't force the sides to engage, they both have to want to.

It seems to me as though the left is getting less and less willing to engage, if they did, they wouldn't be seeking a firewall to hide behind.

How many times do we see leftist telling conservatives "we don't want you here, just leave" and trying to shout them down just for expressing their views?

The internet is full of clips like that, and forums like this are no different. The left doesn't want debate or an exchange of ideas... they want to squelch the opposition.

Just now, rippy38 said:

You can't force the sides to engage, they both have to want to.

It seems to me as though the left is getting less and less willing to engage, if they did, they wouldn't be seeking a firewall to hide behind.

How many times do we see leftist telling conservatives "we don't want you here, just leave" and trying to about them down just for expressing their views?

The internet is full of clips like that, and forums like this are no different. The left doesn't want debate or an exchange of ideas... they want to squelch the opposition.

I get that, and I recognize that that's a documented phenomenon: people retreating to their echo-chambers (liberals more than conservatives, but in general, everyone seems to be doing this). That's why I thought it would be great to curate a space like this where we encourage cross-political interaction, even if that means being overtly friendly with our political opposition just as a means of creating meaningful exchanges and discussion. That's what I thought we were trying to do with the clean debate room. 

Just now, kking said:

I get that, and I recognize that that's a documented phenomenon: people retreating to their echo-chambers (liberals more than conservatives, but in general, everyone seems to be doing this). That's why I thought it would be great to curate a space like this where we encourage cross-political interaction, even if that means being overtly friendly with our political opposition just as a means of creating meaningful exchanges and discussion. That's what I thought we were trying to do with the clean debate room. 

Did you go fishing?

All that fresh air must be great. 

Just now, Pastafarian said:

Did you go fishing?

All that fresh air must be great. 

Yes indeed. A few nibbles but no catches. Spent a night in the foothills (pic related) and camped out along the Gregg River, then spent four days west of Nordegg AB doing day hikes and writing. 

20200525_175602.jpg

20 minutes ago, rippy38 said:

they both   posted on  NHB, but they would   never  defend their  crazy views.     Both were the  epitome of liberal cowardice

14 minutes ago, kking said:

My idea was to rename the clean debate room to the political discussion room, moderate it the same way as the clean debate room was being moderated and move it to the top of the main forum board.

Make the NHB into the NHB/Hell room and keep it as is too but make it the place to send rule violaters of the political discussion room.

I think that's the best shot at keeping what you got, and growing at the same time.

Concentrate your mods in the main discussion room, and let teacher have the NHB/Hell room

7 minutes ago, kking said:

Yes indeed. A few nibbles but no catches. Spent a night in the foothills (pic related) and camped out along the Gregg River, then spent four days west of Nordegg AB doing day hikes and writing. 

20200525_175602.jpg

Nice!!!

I’m in the middle of some writing as well. 

If I ever wanna rough it up in Canada, I know who to call. 

Is that Alberta?

15 minutes ago, kking said:

You give conservatives too much credit. 

Maybe cons in Canada? But cons down here are of one mind. 

Liberals put Trump over the top. 

1 minute ago, Pastafarian said:

Nice!!!

I’m in the middle of some writing as well. 

If I ever wanna rough it up in Canada, I know who to call. 

Is that Alberta?

You bet, man. Don't hesitate to hit me up if you ever head up this way. That pic is from "Robb Road" which is a logging road between Hinton and Robb. It's a great area for camping.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pastafarian said:

You give conservatives too much credit. 

Maybe cons in Canada? But cons down here are of one mind. 

Liberals put Trump over the top. 

It goes both ways. I'm not going to defend the close-mindedness of boomer Republicans. But the point is that liberals, more than conservatives, are reluctant to engage in political debate because they have been conditioned to not tolerate opposing views. The Fox News boomers are similar in their solipsism, but at least they don't shy away from talking shit out. Liberals are beginning to disparage the discourse itself, behaving as if engaging with conservatives itself is a racist or intolerable gesture.