maineman

An Essay on Confederate Monuments

1 hour ago, Mirabeau said:

TRAITORS??

You are either IGNORANT or a LIAR.

No . . . wait . . . you're BOTH, and Mirabeau can PROVE IT by asking you ONE question.

Where, in the Constitution of the United States of America, is the specific language PROHIBITING a state from seceding from the union?

Yes, the democrats that tried to succeed from the union were traitors. You lost the war. The good guys won and you are losers. The south will NEVER rise again and Texas will always suck. The only good thing to come out of Texas was Earl Campbell and BBQ brisket. 

13 hours ago, maineman said:

Of course I did.... you just don’t like my answer.

No.

You lie.

You have NOT answered the question posed by Mirabeau!

The question that was posed is this:

WHERE, in the Constitution of the United States of America is language which PROHIBITS a state from seceding from the Union?

Provide the SPECIFIC ARTICLE which contains that language.

WHAT IS YOUR ANSWER?

(Watch this, folks!)

13 hours ago, Redoctober said:

Yes, the democrats that tried to succeed from the union were traitors. You lost the war. The good guys won and you are losers. The south will NEVER rise again and Texas will always suck. The only good thing to come out of Texas was Earl Campbell and BBQ brisket. 

Where is the language in the Constitution of the United States of America which prohibits a state from seceding from the union.

BE SPECIFIC, DUMBASS.

16 hours ago, maineman said:

A true daughter of the confederacy has written what should be the last words on the monuments: 

By Caroline Randall Williams
June 26, 2020

I have rape-colored skin. My light-brown-blackness is a living testament to the rules, the practices, the causes of the Old South.

If there are those who want to remember the legacy of the Confederacy, if they want monuments, well, then, my body is a monument. My skin is a monument.

Dead Confederates are honored all over this country — with cartoonish private statues, solemn public monuments and even in the names of United States Army bases. It fortifies and heartens me to witness the protests against this practice and the growing clamor from serious, nonpartisan public servants to redress it. But there are still those — like President Trumpand the Senate majority leader,Mitch McConnell — who cannot understand the difference between rewriting and reframing the past. I say it is not a matter of “airbrushing” history, but of adding a new perspective.

I am a black, Southern woman, and of my immediate white male ancestors, all of them were rapists. My very existence is a relic of slavery and Jim Crow.

According to the rule of hypodescent (the social and legal practice of assigning a genetically mixed-race person to the race with less social power) I am the daughter of two black people, the granddaughter of four black people, the great-granddaughter of eight black people. Go back one more generation and it gets less straightforward, and more sinister. As far as family history has always told, and as modern DNA testing has allowed me to confirm, I am the descendant of black women who were domestic servants and white men who raped their help.

It is an extraordinary truth of my life that I am biologically more than half white, and yet I have no white people in my genealogy in living memory. No. Voluntary. Whiteness. I am more than half white, and none of it was consensual. White Southern men — my ancestors — took what they wanted from women they did not love, over whom they had extraordinary power, and then failed to claim their children.

What is a monument but a standing memory? An artifact to make tangible the truth of the past. My body and blood are a tangible truth of the South and its past. The black people I come from were owned by the white people I come from. The white people I come from fought and died for their Lost Cause. And I ask you now, who dares to tell me to celebrate them? Who dares to ask me to accept their mounted pedestals?

You cannot dismiss me as someone who doesn’t understand. You cannot say it wasn’t my family members who fought and died. My blackness does not put me on the other side of anything. It puts me squarely at the heart of the debate. I don’t just come from the South. I come from Confederates. I’ve got rebel-gray blue blood coursing my veins. My great-grandfather Will was raised with the knowledge that Edmund Pettus was his father. Pettus, the storied Confederate general, the grand dragon of the Ku Klux Klan, the man for whom Selma’s Bloody Sunday Bridge is named. So I am not an outsider who makes these demands. I am a great-great-granddaughter.

And here I’m called to say that there is much about the South that is precious to me. I do my best teaching and writing here. There is, however, a peculiar model of Southern pride that must now, at long last, be reckoned with.

This is not an ignorant pride but a defiant one. It is a pride that says, “Our history is rich, our causes are justified, our ancestors lie beyond reproach.” It is a pining for greatness, if you will, a wish again for a certain kind of American memory. A monument-worthy memory.

But here’s the thing: Our ancestors don’t deserve your unconditional pride. Yes, I am proud of every one of my black ancestors who survived slavery. They earned that pride, by any decent person’s reckoning. But I am not proud of the white ancestors whom I know, by virtue of my very existence, to be bad actors.

Among the apologists for the Southern cause and for its monuments, there are those who dismiss the hardships of the past. They imagine a world of benevolent masters, and speak with misty eyes of gentility and honor and the land. They deny plantation rape, or explain it away, or question the degree of frequency with which it occurred.

To those people it is my privilege to say, I am proof. I am proof that whatever else the South might have been, or might believe itself to be, it was and is a space whose prosperity and sense of romance and nostalgia were built upon the grievous exploitation of black life.

The dream version of the Old South never existed. Any manufactured monument to that time in that place tells half a truth at best. The ideas and ideals it purports to honor are not real. To those who have embraced these delusions: Now is the time to re-examine your position.

Either you have been blind to a truth that my body’s story forces you to see, or you really do mean to honor the oppressors at the expense of the oppressed, and you must at last acknowledge your emotional investment in a legacy of hate.

Either way, I say the monuments of stone and metal, the monuments of cloth and wood, all the man-made monuments, must come down. I defy any sentimental Southerner to defend our ancestors to me. I am quite literally made of the reasons to strip them of their laurels.

Caroline Randall Williams(@caroranwill) is the author of “Lucy Negro, Redux” and “Soul Food Love,” and a writer in residence at Vanderbilt University.

So, no raping goin on in Africa. Let's all move to the rape free continent. 

27 minutes ago, Mirabeau said:

Where is the language in the Constitution of the United States of America which prohibits a state from seceding from the union.

BE SPECIFIC, DUMBASS.

We fought a war over it. You lost. End of story. Let it go or don't. I really don't care. 

Where did the traitors in the south wind the civil war? BE SPECIFIC, DUMBASS!  All you had to do was win the war and you could have succeeded but you didn't. Too bad so sad. 

The south will NEVER rise again. 

LMAO!

22 minutes ago, AnotherJim said:

So, no raping goin on in Africa. Let's all move to the rape free continent. 

I don't believe the author ever made that assertion

36 minutes ago, maineman said:

I don't believe the author ever made that assertion

Slavery was hard on slaves, not their descendants. All the Dems care about is the black voting block. Black abortions are off the charts. Democrats are soulless.

1. Out of the 34 million HIV-positive people worldwide, 69% live in sub-Saharan Africa. There are roughly 23.8 million infected persons in all of Africa.[1]
  2. 91% of the world’s HIV-positive children live in Africa.[2]
  3. More than one million adults and children die every year from HIV/AIDS in Africa alone. In 2011, 1.7 million people worldwide died from AIDS.[3]
  4. Since the epidemic of HIV/AIDS, more than 75 million people have contracted the illness, and over 36 million have died from an HIV-related cause.[4]
  5. 71% of the HIV/AIDS-related deaths in 2011 were people living in Africa.[5]
  6. Antiretroviral drug treatments can tremendously decrease the number of HIV-related deaths by delaying the progression of the virus and allowing people to live relatively healthy, normal lives.[6]
  7. Due to an insufficient supply of antiretroviral drugs and health care providers in 2010, only 5 of the 10 million HIV-positive patients in Africa were able to receive treatment.[7]
  8. Because of HIV/AIDs, the average life-expectancy in sub-Saharan Africa is 54.4 years of age. In some countries in Africa, it’s below 49.[8]
  9. The HIV/AIDS epidemic has drastically slowed the economic growth and social development in Africa, because hundreds of thousands of people are unable to work or receive an education.[9]
  10. Contraceptive use of condoms has doubled in recent years because it is an inexpensive provision to offer to both the HIV-positive and negative. However, the method is void when couples are hoping to conceive or have already engaged with infected persons.[10]
  11. A pregnant woman not treated with the proper drugs, has a 20-45% chance that her infant will contract the virus from pregnancy. 59% of HIV-positive people in Africa are women, the majority of children diagnosed with HIV get the virus from their mothers.[--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  Oh, before any liberal chimes in, I'll beat them to the punch. We all know the above is Trump's fault. Same as the sinking of the Titanic & the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

14 hours ago, Redoctober said:

Willie Nelson and Ann Richards and do not forget Townes Van Zandt.

Texas has a lot of good features.

4 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

Willie Nelson and Ann Richards and do not forget Townes Van Zandt.

Texas has a lot of good features.

Not enough to make up for its suck. 

20 minutes ago, AnotherJim said:

Slavery was hard on slaves, not their descendants. All the Dems care about is the black voting block. Black abortions are off the charts. Democrats are soulless.

The point you missed is that many of the descendants of slaves are also the descendants of unrepentant unpunished white slave owner rapists.

Here is my argument

Do the  Holocaust Death Camps  still stand?

That is  your answer to Civil War  historical  monuments

17 hours ago, maineman said:

wow.  And people ON HERE say that racism is no longer a problem in America.

what color is the sky in their world?

Do you now where this is:

250px-Confederate_Monument_-_S_face_tigh

That is in Arlington and is a monument to the Confederate soldiers and sailors who dies in the Civil War.  It is there legally under US law as is any monument to confederates who died and are in an unmarked grave.

US Code:

§2306. Headstones, markers, and burial receptacles

(a) The Secretary shall furnish, when requested, appropriate Government headstones or markers at the expense of the United States for the unmarked graves of the following:

(1) Any individual buried in a national cemetery or in a post cemetery.

(2) Any individual eligible for burial in a national cemetery (but not buried there), except for those persons or classes of persons enumerated in section 2402(a)(4), (5), and (6) of this title.

(3) Soldiers of the Union and Confederate Armies of the Civil War.

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path=/prelim@title38/part2/chapter23&edition=prelim

18 hours ago, maineman said:

I have rape-colored skin.

WTF does this  even  mean?

Caroline-Randall-Williams.jpg

33 minutes ago, EltonJohnson said:

Here is my argument

Does Auschwitz have statues of Hitler riding bravely on a steed?  

If our civil war historical monuments showed traitorous rebels behind the fences of POW camps, I'd be all for that.

17 hours ago, Mirabeau said:

FAIL!

I

You have NOT answered the question posed to you by Mirabeau!

Why are you squirming and dissembling?

(Have someone look up that last word for you,)

have you ever heard of the word 'I?" 

use it.

3 minutes ago, EltonJohnson said:

WTF does this  even  mean?

Caroline-Randall-Williams.jpg

It means that she's got lighter colored skin than other blacks because one of her female ancestors was raped by a white man who had owned her.  

Are you purposely obtuse, or just thick as a fucking brick?

6 minutes ago, Huey said:

Do you now where this is:

250px-Confederate_Monument_-_S_face_tigh

That is in Arlington and is a monument to the Confederate soldiers and sailors who dies in the Civil War.  It is there legally under US law as is any monument to confederates who died and are in an unmarked grave.

US Code:

§2306. Headstones, markers, and burial receptacles

(a) The Secretary shall furnish, when requested, appropriate Government headstones or markers at the expense of the United States for the unmarked graves of the following:

(1) Any individual buried in a national cemetery or in a post cemetery.

(2) Any individual eligible for burial in a national cemetery (but not buried there), except for those persons or classes of persons enumerated in section 2402(a)(4), (5), and (6) of this title.

(3) Soldiers of the Union and Confederate Armies of the Civil War.

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path=/prelim@title38/part2/chapter23&edition=prelim

I worry about your cognitive ability.  This post literally has NOTHING to do with the one of mine that you quoted.

40 minutes ago, EltonJohnson said:

Here is my argument

and I'd be all for Mississippi keeping the REAL confederate flag as part of their state flag.... replace the stars and bars with one white square in the upper left hand corner.

1 minute ago, maineman said:

I worry about your cognitive ability.  This post literally has NOTHING to do with the one of mine that you quoted.

I did not feel like quoting the entire OP again.  You'll got over it.  So don't worry.  I am smarter than you, better looking and likeable.

2 minutes ago, Huey said:

I did not feel like quoting the entire OP again.  You'll got[sic] over it.  So don't worry.  I am smarter than you, better looking and likeable.

no one needs to quote the entirety of any post.  If you are going to quote me, you should, at least, make your response to that quote provide some explanation as to WHY you chose those words of mine as the lead-in to YOUR post.

moron.

43 minutes ago, EltonJohnson said:

Here is my argument

are the nazis considered to be heroes then?

Just now, maineman said:

no one needs to quote the entirety of any post.  If you are going to quote me, you should, at least, make your response to that quote provide some explanation as to WHY you chose those words of mine as the lead-in to YOUR post.

moron.

What ever.  You suffer OCD or are you just this anal?  And there is a correlation. 

8 minutes ago, jerra- said:

are the nazis considered to be heroes then?

The  Nazis were part of  history.   Just like  FDR 

18 minutes ago, maineman said:

Does Auschwitz have statues of Hitler riding bravely on a steed?  

I doubt it,    but    the death camps are  part of history, if they can stand,  our statues  can stand.

The Confederates were not  all slave holders,  in fact only a small % were.