Sign in to follow this  
willpell

Social Media Needs To Die - Change My Mind

If there's one thing that the pandemic hysteria around the world, and the immediately subsequent race riots across America, indisputably proves IMO, it is that social media was a terrible mistake and needs to be ended immediately.  I say that as someone who is very psychologically dependent on discussion boards (hence my presence here) and also someone who has just started a YouTube channel; I fully understand why people want to have these things, but the price it seems is just too goddamned high.  When any idiot anywhere in the world is allowed to report his or her ignorant opinions as if they were fact, and millions of other people all over the world believe those reports with the same blithe certainty that their parents' generation believed only what the government or the news media told them, it's pretty clear that this situation simply cannot continue.  Allowing authority figures to spread propaganda unopposed is dangerous, but allowing EVERYONE to spread propaganda opposed is so much worse.  I really think it's clearly obvious that human beings in general, at large, on the street, simply cannot be trusted to determine what each other deserve to be told.  At least if there's a profit-motivated bureaucracy making the decision, there will be SOME oversight and accountability, and the capability for this kind of mass insanity will be limited.

It just might when/if Biden wins, they try to implement gun control and the country goes completely leftist and the right wing starts planning to do something about it.

Social media will do nothing but grow.

If it bothers you...I suggest you delete all your accounts and find something more productive to do with your time.

Freedom of speech does not guarantee good speech. Spent many summers out in Central and Eastern Idaho. While they meant well, not the brightest bulbs in the box. If only good, well-informed, rational speech was allowed... you would think they were all mutes

3 hours ago, BatteryPowered said:

Social media will do nothing but grow.

If it bothers you...I suggest you delete all your accounts and find something more productive to do with your time.

Make knives - there's a youtube video on how to do this and several forums dedicated to knife making discussions.......:D

maxresdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Do you really believe in such a thing?  I personally realize that this is impossible.  social media has too much influence nowadays so that it cannot be erased at all. All people now have websites on any platform and in this way we communicate and find out new things every day, so there is no way to delete social media, it is impossible. Who doesn't have accounts on Instagram, Facebook telegram, and others?  Absolutely everyone. I even recently looked for how to buy Instagram likes and due to this fact, I met hundreds of new people from all over the world with whom I communicate daily.  I don't want to think I'm going to lose that kind of relationship.  It's impossible

On 6/26/2020 at 12:32 PM, Skans said:

Make knives - there's a youtube video on how to do this and several forums dedicated to knife making discussions.......:D

My Name is Somebody...

8>)

@Skans

On 6/25/2020 at 6:55 PM, willpell said:

If there's one thing that the pandemic hysteria around the world, and the immediately subsequent race riots across America, indisputably proves IMO, it is that social media was a terrible mistake and needs to be ended immediately.  I say that as someone who is very psychologically dependent on discussion boards (hence my presence here) and also someone who has just started a YouTube channel; I fully understand why people want to have these things, but the price it seems is just too goddamned high.  When any idiot anywhere in the world is allowed to report his or her ignorant opinions as if they were fact, and millions of other people all over the world believe those reports with the same blithe certainty that their parents' generation believed only what the government or the news media told them, it's pretty clear that this situation simply cannot continue.  Allowing authority figures to spread propaganda unopposed is dangerous, but allowing EVERYONE to spread propaganda opposed is so much worse.  I really think it's clearly obvious that human beings in general, at large, on the street, simply cannot be trusted to determine what each other deserve to be told.  At least if there's a profit-motivated bureaucracy making the decision, there will be SOME oversight and accountability, and the capability for this kind of mass insanity will be limited.

End of free speech = no ability to self govern and renewed monarchy for dumb peasants who cannot be trusted to gather their own information, vote and sign voluntary contracts etc. Here is your new high inflation mandatory contract comply or die you scum sucking deplorable peasants, the sky is blue the grass is green and pharmaceutical chemicals are good for you.

2 hours ago, Chongo said:

End of free speech = no ability to self govern and renewed monarchy for dumb peasants who cannot be trusted to gather their own information, vote and sign voluntary contracts etc. Here is your new high inflation mandatory contract comply or die you scum sucking deplorable peasants, the sky is blue the grass is green and pharmaceutical chemicals are good for you.

I really can't tell whether you're trying to agree or disagree with me.

On 6/26/2020 at 3:32 PM, Skans said:

What is that? 
have you ever seen that show where the guys make knives? I forget the show.

i used to watch it with this fella 

6 minutes ago, Imgreatagain said:

What is that? 

That one looks forged from a piece of #10 rebar.

Just now, Blue Devil said:

That one looks forged from a piece of #10 rebar.

Forged in steal . That was the show. 
loved that 

5 minutes ago, Imgreatagain said:

Forged in steal . That was the show. 
loved that 

Probable "Forged in Steel".

Otherwise, it would be about @slideman's augmented income stream.

Looting1.jpg

Ha!

18 hours ago, Imgreatagain said:

What is that? 

Forged In Fire?  Fun show to watch.  My guess is that the above knife was probably made out of a piece of rebar. I have one that is made out of a rail road spike - nice work too!

18 hours ago, Imgreatagain said:

What is that? 

There is nothing wrong with making knives, but I am sure that there is better steel  to use for this than rebar.

There are a lot of good YouTube DIY  videos.

1 hour ago, XavierOnassis said:

There is nothing wrong with making knives, but I am sure that there is better steel  to use for this than rebar.

There are a lot of good YouTube DIY  videos.

I think that’s why the show I mentioned is Called “ forged on steel” 

Just now, Imgreatagain said:

I think that’s why the show I mentioned is Called “ forged on steel” 

Rebar is steel, it is just not the sort of steel that will hold an edge well.

Just now, XavierOnassis said:

Rebar is steel, it is just not the sort of steel that will hold an edge well.

I know nothing about knives. Or steel. 
so I’m gonna tap out on this. 

1 hour ago, Skans said:

Forged In Fire?  Fun show to watch.  My guess is that the above knife was probably made out of a piece of rebar. I have one that is made out of a rail road spike - nice work too!

Yeah I think that is the show. 

2 minutes ago, Imgreatagain said:

I know nothing about knives. Or steel. 
so I’m gonna tap out on this. 

Steel is an alloy of iron, carbon and other metals. There are many grades of steel.

A lot of knives people buy are stainless steel, which is shiny and pretty and hard to rust, but does not stay sharp as long as other alloys.

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Imgreatagain said:

Yeah I think that is the show. 

I have to ask, did you like the show or not.  My guess is that it may have interested you for an episode, but overall you found it boring.  Guys just like shows like that, about making things.  I know I do.  Lately, I've been driving my wife crazy by watching youtubes of a guy (who never speaks) restoring ugly rusted tools and equipment.  Somehow, I find it mentally relaxing and fascinating at the same time.

3 minutes ago, Skans said:

I have to ask, did you like the show or not.  My guess is that it may have interested you for an episode, but overall you found it boring.  Guys just like shows like that, about making things.  I know I do.  Lately, I've been driving my wife crazy by watching youtubes of a guy (who never speaks) restoring ugly rusted tools and equipment.  Somehow, I find it mentally relaxing and fascinating at the same time.

I liked it ok. Yes, I watched it with a guy.