Did the Big Bang occur in Deep Space?

1 minute ago, XavierOnassis said:

Gravity decreases as the square of the distance, and so there are locations where all gravity from all faraway bodies cancel one another out.

You are referring to  Lagrangian points where gravity is balanced... Gravity is never canceled out

8 minutes ago, Skans said:

Gravity?  Not necessarily. But there is Space-Time in deep space.

Gravity exists everywhere in the universe. So does space time

2 minutes ago, 1AC said:

you are using terminology without any idea of what it means that is not what critical mass is.

So sue me!

I mean it to be that point at which no more mass can be added and the situation cannot remain stable.

We do not know a huge amount about the nature of the Universe.

the strength of gravity falls off with the distance from matter squared. So there is no place in the universe where the strength of the gravitational field is literally zero because there is always some distance to matter.

10 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

The idea of the Big Bang seems to be there is a finite amount of matter and  that can be concentrated together. When that amount is exceeded a critical mass exists and there is an explosion. 

Stick to Theology - you are far better schooled in that discipline.

For starters, there was no "explosion".  What supposedly happened was an expansion, which is very different from any type of explosion.   Also, there was no "matter" at the time of the Big Bang - no atoms, no protons, neutrons, electrons, gluons, muons, quarks, leptons, or anti-matter. Matter and anti-matter did not come into existence until quite some time after the Big Bang.

3 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

So sue me!

I mean it to be that point at which no more mass can be added and the situation cannot remain stable.

We do not know a huge amount about the nature of the Universe.

Again you are using Concepts that make no sense...Matter and energy are the part of the universe. Since universe is not known to interact with its environment, there is no evidence or proof or belief that matter can be added to it. The amount of matter and energy in the universe is constant, though immeasurable

29 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

In the beginning, there was large amount of nothing, but within it, there was a very, very compact blob of something that acquired a bit more mass and then exploded, causing the Big Bang.

That is the best explanation to date for the origin of the Universe, but there is still a lot we do not know about much of what is in the Universe, such as Dark Matter and altimatter.

Something cannot come from nothing.

Well where'd that compact blob come from?

4 minutes ago, 1AC said:

Again you are using Concepts that make no sense...Matter and energy are the part of the universe. Since universe is not known to interact with its environment, there is no evidence or proof or belief that matter can be added to it. The amount of matter and energy in the universe is constant, though immeasurable

matter and energy are not concepts that make no sense.

The nature of the universe is unknown to us.

When I say "explosion" I meant something that would have appeared to be an explosion, since the matter prior to the Big Bang would have been too condensed to be formed into elements or compounds.

Just now, Skans said:

Not measurable.

They are working on a Deep space experiment that could measure the gravitational constant with nearly 1,000 times improvement in accuracy  Scientists have proposed an experiment that could measure the value of Newton's gravitational constant to  6.3 x 10-8, which is nearly three orders of magnitude more precise than the current best measurement.

Just now, AnotherJim said:

Well where'd that compact blob come from?

It came from nowhere, it always was. I suppose it started as a black hole, attracting more and more stuff and acquiring  stronger and stronger attraction until it reached some sort of limit after which it could not be contained any longer.

Rather like the unfortunate Mr Creosote in the Monty Python sketch.

2 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

matter and energy are not concepts that make no sense.

The nature of the universe is unknown to us.

When I say "explosion" I meant something that would have appeared to be an explosion, since the matter prior to the Big Bang would have been too condensed to be formed into elements or compounds.

you know nothing of cosmology... There is much we know about the universe and there is much we don't know. You need to learn not to make declarative statements without any basis of evidence or fact

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

It came from nowhere, it always was. I suppose it started as a black hole, attracting more and more stuff and acquiring  stronger and stronger attraction until it reached some sort of limit after which it could not be contained any longer.

Pure poppycock... holy crap I learned this stuff before there was access to the internet... I'm assuming that you have access to the internet

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

I always said, too much stuff is hard to handle. I don't have too much stuff; so I don't have to worry about any Big Bangin goin on around me.

7 minutes ago, 1AC said:

You need to learn not to make declarative statements without any basis of evidence or fact

All I said was obviously speculation, and  for that matter, so was everything you have posted.

Give yourself a Medal for being the Greatest Expert on Cosmology Ever.

You seem more intent on putting other people down.

29 minutes ago, Skans said:

Stick to Theology - you are far better schooled in that discipline.

For starters, there was no "explosion".  What supposedly happened was an expansion, which is very different from any type of explosion.   Also, there was no "matter" at the time of the Big Bang - no atoms, no protons, neutrons, electrons, gluons, muons, quarks, leptons, or anti-matter. Matter and anti-matter did not come into existence until quite some time after the Big Bang.

Well that's close... no one knows the mechanism at the singularity. But because the universe is something and it started it must have started from somewhere and that would be the nothingness that I speak of above where space time does not exist. Think of it as an eruption from the nothingness and the start of space-time where the universe creates its own space and after a relatively short time There was what is referred to as inflation... To the point where we are now and the expansion continues and is increasing at an exponential rate. It will no doubt continue until there is heat death where energy will still exist but it will be spread to the point where it can no longer do work. 

3 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

All I said was obviously speculation, and  for that matter, so was everything you have posted.

Give yourself a Medal for being the Greatest Expert on Cosmology Ever.

You seem more intent on putting other people down.

If putting down means correcting ridiculous assumptions not based on any fact or empirical evidence and experimentation then I guess you have been put down... what I have posted is established fact agreed to by physicists and cosmologists far smarter than me and you. I just have a better understanding of it then you do because apparently you do not have the capability of a higher level of learning.

33 minutes ago, 1AC said:

They are working on a Deep space experiment that could measure the gravitational constant with nearly 1,000 times improvement in accuracy  Scientists have proposed an experiment that could measure the value of Newton's gravitational constant to  6.3 x 10-8, which is nearly three orders of magnitude more precise than the current best measurement.

It will be interesting to see the results.

19 hours ago, lucifershammer said:

You're moving out of the realm of the gauntlet  rules. 

With this post and the other I declare victory ..

@kfools

You're full of shit!

And scared!

I did not digress !

I merely summed up your answers to my questions.

And then added my follow-up question, which you conveniently skirted, loser ! 

Everyone could see that!

Amazing that you still have the guts to show up your loser self here!

You apparently have no self respect!

You desperately sought a way out of the mess you got youself into and you lost and went running with your tail between your hind paws, loser !

It's okay with me, loser! 

1 hour ago, Johnnie said:

WwowW

That's the closest assumption I ever heard to my own convictions.

It's fine to know there're folks out there who think along my own line.

Damnit. It's a jinnmartini SOK.

48 minutes ago, 1AC said:

Well that's close... no one knows the mechanism at the singularity. But because the universe is something and it started it must have started from somewhere and that would be the nothingness that I speak of above where space time does not exist. Think of it as an eruption from the nothingness and the start of space-time where the universe creates its own space and after a relatively short time There was what is referred to as inflation... To the point where we are now and the expansion continues and is increasing at an exponential rate. It will no doubt continue until there is heat death where energy will still exist but it will be spread to the point where it can no longer do work. 

We were speaking of the Big Bang taking place in Deep Space.  That is not possible. The Big Bang did not happen in space at all, or at least not as we understand it. 

There is nothing which says the expansion must continue.  What if the expansion is being fueled by an unknown source of unrecognizable energy from some other universe through tears in space time or a higher spatial dimension?  And, if that source of energy ceases, the Universe could reach entropy, or even contract, if we believe your theory of gravity being everywhere.