progressivecitizen

So what's next for marches?

So we all pretty much got what we wanted with the convictions. Why are people still marching nationwide? I thought it was weird that none of the organizers I heard talking yesterday said anything specific, just "we want justice" and the like. It will be weeks before a trial and marching accomplishes nothing at this point, so why isn't everyone going back home so the virus can stop spreading?

These police killings, specifically of non-resisting minorities, have been going on for years.  They are happening every day but rarely is such a killing filmed with such undeniable clarity.  Despite black's being less than 15% of the population, they are being killed and savaged by police far more than the majority white population.  Police have become the new Jim Crow.

People, including large numbers of whites, want systemic justice.  They keep marching because they do not want the issue to die and be forgotten so that the murderers can somehow be quietly adjudicated and either set free or slapped on the wrist, before a trial is even held ....  Or a jury finds them innocent.

In a way, these are becoming similar to the freedom marches of the 1960s.  It is a shame that a small minority loots and vandalizes.

• Upvote 1

they normally get released after 

and a lot of  minimum wage people never got to go home 

this is what repressed people eventually do 

• Upvote 2

Yeah, but when's the trial set for and how long will it go on? People can't keep marching for weeks and won't. So why not call it a day- mission accomplished, and go home. Then come out when the trial starts. The organizers seem confused about what they are actually accomplishing since walking in the streets is not political pressure on individual lawmakers for specific bills. Maybe this is proof of my theory that a lot of this is happening so widely because people want to be amongst others in crowds.

15 minutes ago, progressivecitizen said:

The organizers seem confused about what they are actually accomplishing since walking in the streets is not political pressure on individual lawmakers for specific bills.

In fact these marches have put significant pressure on lawmakers from both sides of the aisle.  

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/04/gop-police-reforms-bill-301216

- snip -

Speaker Nancy Pelosi will unveil a sweeping police reform bill next week, her announcement coming just hours after the top House Republican signaled Thursday that he is open to working with Democrats, raising new hopes for a bipartisan congressional response to the killing of George Floyd and the national upheaval that followed.

- snip -

The longer the protests go on and the more heavily attended they are, the more lawmakers will feel the heat.  This has a direct bearing on whether many of them get elected again, or not.

• Upvote 1

It is important that the protest marches continue as this bill passes through Congress ....  Keeping pressure on lawmakers to respond appropriately.  And ultimately, applying pressure on Trump when the bill comes to his underground bunker .... errr desk.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, progressivecitizen said:

Thanks for the clarification. Though I still wonder why organizers don't state such things. I do suspect most of the millenials are confused.

The organizers probably will declare a small victory now that the media has made Pelosi's police reform bill public;  Eliminating most of whatever confusion exists.  This is undeniable proof that the protests have not been in vain.  Hopefully, most will recognize the need to keep up the pressure during the legislative process.

51 minutes ago, bludog said:

The organizers probably will declare a small victory now that the media has made Pelosi's police reform bill public;  Eliminating most of whatever confusion exists.  This is undeniable proof that the protests have not been in vain.  Hopefully, most will recognize the need to keep up the pressure during the legislative process.

I'd like to see the momentum carry into the election, but I seriously doubt that will happen. These things typically run their course and die out after a time mainly because people have to get on with their lives once they've made their point. We also have a full blown pandemic still underway and I hope we don't see a massive spike in cases in a couple weeks. There were a lot of unmasked people in those marches.

One huge effect of these marches was they forced trump to do some stupid stunts that will further erode his support where he was already bleeding support. Trump comes of this the biggest loser.

• Upvote 2

Chauvin and his cohorts have been charged but it was never just about Chauvin. It was about what he represents - systemic police brutality and injustice against black Americans. 

Some progress was made. The message was heard by many. Sadly, as we have seen so often before, success is fleeting and progress can be undone  The president is doing everything in his power to escalate violence and reverse the gains.  Just today he tweeted a letter that referred to peaceful protestors as terrorists. He’s trying to paint the protestors as criminals and thugs so that their message will be ignored. 

It would be naive to think that police unions will stand idly by while constraints are placed on how their members treat African Americans. They’ll fight tooth and nail to keep the status quo.

This is a baby step. It’s far from over.

• Upvote 2

They keep going because change hasn't been made.  The police reaction to this has been abysmal in many areas.  That shouldn't happen.  This isn't about one case, or two, or even three.  It's about years and years of issues.  And nothing has been done.  Yes, these men will finally be tried -- but the fact that it took a protest to get it to happen means that sweeping change needs to happen.  Eventually the protests may go away on their own, as people go back to their lives.  But they can't just give up because they got justice for one man, or two, or even three.  They have to keep going as long as they can the sweeping reforms necessary to prevent future needless deaths by over-eager cops.

6 hours ago, Cecelia said:

They keep going because change hasn't been made.  The police reaction to this has been abysmal in many areas.  That shouldn't happen.  This isn't about one case, or two, or even three.  It's about years and years of issues.  And nothing has been done.  Yes, these men will finally be tried -- but the fact that it took a protest to get it to happen means that sweeping change needs to happen.  Eventually the protests may go away on their own, as people go back to their lives.  But they can't just give up because they got justice for one man, or two, or even three.  They have to keep going as long as they can the sweeping reforms necessary to prevent future needless deaths by over-eager cops.

I haven't gone out to participate in a protest since the early 70's, but I've never given on the causes nor have I ever failed to vote for those causes. 

That's the more important part of the VOTE. All the protests in the world will be of little value if people don't get their asses to the polls and vote for the changes they are protesting for.

• Upvote 1

Many of the organizers and the great majority of the people who are marching in the streets are informed and it's so early, or actually so very late - we're rightfully upset by all this that went down, all that's been going on, and we can see it and we can't turn away no more. 

What's next, so what's the process? And just who should get involved? 

They know, this is no pool party in the Ozarks, they know that they are in the midst of a pandemic. They know people who lost their jobs, they know people just like

George Floyd, they immediately start to think, that could easily have been me. 

They know we got to stop dividing, we got to stop this political bull, and do something now.

But what will we do? What should we do?

Look at all the problems to find out what needs to be fixed. So we got to talk a lot, let people talk, and we need to listen.

I always thought, and still think, in basic terms we each want the same things. Now, is the time to conceptualize.

• Upvote 1