Weaponizing voting system

Olivaw

53 minutes ago, bludog said:

Scrap the system.

I agree with zkylonnen and lucifershammer.   There will always be members who abuse the up/down vote system.  I've seen it more than once, in the past, and now it's occurring again.

In an earlier post, I was in favor of keeping upvotes and scrapping downvotes.  I now feel upvotes would be abused also, for the reason zkyllonen posted :---  Certain members are bloating their own group's reputation by upvoting virtually everything they post.

Say a Liberal is trying to decide to join or not and sees that Conservative members have far higher reputation scores than Liberals.  Few Liberals would want to join such a board.

You make some really good points, bludog.  I'd gladly advocate keeping it if there were more specified controls on the feature (like limiting the tics).  But, it seems those types of controls aren't available.  Therefore, I have to side with you, @zkylonnen, and @lucifershammer.   Ditch it.  The negatives largely outweigh the potential positives.

Also,  I have every reason to believe that some of the cons here with 8,000+ reputations also up their own posts with multiple sokpuppets.  I think 123urout has about a dozen of them.  :lol:   Day after day after day, it's more than a little pathetic.

So, my vote is officially changed to:  ditch the up/down vote feature. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, SpyCar said:

If 123 is using SOK puppets to rep himself, as he has done in the past, then he should be removed as the forum’s “SOK hunter.” The idea that this Nazi has access to our IPs disgusts me.

If we are going to take board actions as a Liberal Council, the first action I’d advocate for is removing 123 from any such position. 

Bill

I was not aware that he had access to our IP's what in the actual fu*k

yeah I vote in favor of removing him from that position the only person that should have access to that kind of information is the site owner plain and simple. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, zkyllonen8 said:

I was not aware that he had access to our IP's what in the actual fu*k

yeah I vote in favor of removing him from that position the only person that should have access to that kind of information is the site owner plain and simple. 

I can only assume he has access to our IPs, otherwise how would be hunt SOKs?

This is a presumption on my part. IP's are just about a SOK hunter's only tool. 

Bill

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, SpyCar said:

I can only assume he has access to our IPs, otherwise how would be hunt SOKs?

This is a presumption on my part. IP's are just about a SOK hunter's only tool. 

Bill

I can't think of any other way either.  :huh:  Plus, IP addresses only gives you the general area of the poster, not a specific address.

42 minutes ago, RollingRock said:

I can't think of any other way either.  :huh:  Plus, IP addresses only gives you the general area of the poster, not a specific address.

Right, but unless one uses a "proxy" the IPs will expose multiple accounts from the same internet address. 

I assume--but do not know for a fact--that 123 has access to our IP addresses.

Bill

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, SpyCar said:

Right, but unless one uses a "proxy" the IPs will expose multiple accounts from the same internet address. 

Bill

That's disturbing.  :o  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, zkyllonen8 said:

I am starting to lean towards the idea of scrapping the entire system if people can seriously not grow up and act like adults. 

They are using the downvote to scare new members away. 

And are using the Upvote to bloat there own score just for the satisfaction of a higher +whatever. 

I think that we should have a open poll to see what the members think about keeping the system or scrapping it. 

This would allow for transparency.

Just my opinion.

I want to know how ANY1 can rack up more than 8,000 Upvotes in 1/2 hour?  Something is fishy here & it ain't just @tunafish!  @123urout is a TYP. CHEATING tCON, & I don't know why "Administrators" @kfools is allowing him to get away with it.  SCRAP the whole "Community Reputation" system if the CHEATING can't be fixed.

Can leave US the "MORON!," FUCK YOU!" & "THANK YOU!" notifications if desired.💗

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, RollingRock said:

Kfools said that he's unable to limit the number of down votes.  According to how he explained it, the down votes are either "on" or they're "off."  He said there's no way to set a number, either up or down.  However, he did say there was a way keep the "down" votes, but they don't lower the reputation points.  

I beg to differ on the no way to limit since I have gotten notices that I have used all my up or downvote choices for the day recently. I was trying to offset the 25+ downvotes that turd straightedge put on me and the feature wouldn't allow no more than 15 total it seemed like, I think that the feature should just be scrapped or only upvotes allowed.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SpyCar said:

There's no way you can hunt SOKs without having access to IP addresses.  So 123 must be privy to at least, that much information.  And with a rep currently climbing to nearly 9,000, he's more than likely using SOKs to boost the number.

The man is without scruples or conscience.  And yet kfools lauds him and has thanked him for his work, repeatedly.

9 minutes ago, bludog said:

There's no way you can hunt SOKs without having access to IP addresses.  So 123 must be privy to at least, that much information.  And with a rep currently climbing to nearly 9,000, he's more than likely using SOKs to boost the number.

The man is without scruples or conscience.  And yet kfools lauds him and has thanked him for his work, repeatedly.

I propose that a representive of the Council of Liberals (or by pinging him here) put the question to the administrator to get clarification on the point, and that we make it known that 123 having access to our IPs is an intolerable situation, and that he need to go poste-haste.

We will find out quickly to what degree we really have control of this forum's future (and present).

Bill

well on the bright side the water cooler finally getting some movement  as people go out of their way to make content so they can get a cool icon

would like to see likes stay , down votes go 

Trophies ? rep ?  well  the trolls will have our rep our trophies  ? can we have our own types and cons have theirs 

people getting down voted 

I do not want to play the game either but untill its fixed its a good show of support 

if we posted a running list and all chipped in a few likes a day ? 

lets make those few trolls work for it ?

2 hours ago, SpyCar said:

I propose that a representive of the Council of Liberals (or by pinging him here) put the question to the administrator to get clarification on the point, and that we make it known that 123 having access to our IPs is an intolerable situation, and that he need to go poste-haste.

We will find out quickly to what degree we really have control of this forum's future (and present).

Bill

I for one would not object if you "ping" Ghostofkf and put the question to him.  That way, everyone in this Council will see the dialogue that ensues.  

Let me answer some of these questions for the council.

First congrats to all. This is exactly how such a council should operate. You may deliberate without prying eyes to poison decisions.

First let's discuss 123 ur out so that you understand his function better. He has been a bit Hunter for the forum for years.

I have personally talked to him in dozens of phone calls. You have no way to know this, but for many the online persona is not the same as the real life person.

I made videos as a mod so people could get to know the real me. Not everyone does this.

So that you understand how critical his functions are, this site has had many attempted Ddos Linux attacks and bot attacks that could have shut it down many times. He thwarted and still does 90 percent of those attacks.

He also identifies problematic bots,and backdoor infiltrators and eliminates them.

Yes he has to have access to IP's to do this,however he has never even one time in many years abused that. 

Not a single instance in all the admin logs....and believe me...I have been over them a million times. 

Bludog can also see IP addresses. His role as admin requires this.

Again....never any abuse.

The most you can get from an IP is a very general location. I've never bothered blocking mine as it won't tell you much more than I am in western Michigan somewhere. No name,address,nothing. 

123 has serious programming chops and uses them on our behalf. 

I hope that answers that question. 

As to the next question. 

Functions of rep points. So you all know...you can implement the system without reputation points at all. That may solve the abuse issue while still letting you pick reactions and emojis. For instance I added a "Fuck you" Emoji to NHB. I thought it was kinda funny and wanted to test the system. 

You guys can also make the points private if you want. You can also have everything set to neutral so you can up vote but it casts no score.

The only thing I CAN'T so is limit the number of daily votes.  I looked for an app to do so....but it wasn't workable unfortunately.

I hope this info helps you all.

43 minutes ago, Ghostofkf said:

Let me answer some of these questions for the council.

First congrats to all. This is exactly how such a council should operate. You may deliberate without prying eyes to poison decisions.

First let's discuss 123 ur out so that you understand his function better. He has been a bit Hunter for the forum for years.

I have personally talked to him in dozens of phone calls. You have no way to know this, but for many the online persona is not the same as the real life person.

I made videos as a mod so people could get to know the real me. Not everyone does this.

So that you understand how critical his functions are, this site has had many attempted Ddos Linux attacks and bot attacks that could have shut it down many times. He thwarted and still does 90 percent of those attacks.

He also identifies problematic bots,and backdoor infiltrators and eliminates them.

Yes he has to have access to IP's to do this,however he has never even one time in many years abused that. 

Not a single instance in all the admin logs....and believe me...I have been over them a million times. 

Bludog can also see IP addresses. His role as admin requires this.

Again....never any abuse.

The most you can get from an IP is a very general location. I've never bothered blocking mine as it won't tell you much more than I am in western Michigan somewhere. No name,address,nothing. 

123 has serious programming chops and uses them on our behalf. 

I hope that answers that question. 

As to the next question. 

Functions of rep points. So you all know...you can implement the system without reputation points at all. That may solve the abuse issue while still letting you pick reactions and emojis. For instance I added a "Fuck you" Emoji to NHB. I thought it was kinda funny and wanted to test the system. 

You guys can also make the points private if you want. You can also have everything set to neutral so you can up vote but it casts no score.

The only thing I CAN'T so is limit the number of daily votes.  I looked for an app to do so....but it wasn't workable unfortunately.

I hope this info helps you all.

First, thanks for explaining what looks like a very complex situation. 

Here we have a classic conundrum and a classic dilemma.

Keeping the site up and running seems to require--for the moment at least--the free services of a guy who's online persona (at least) is utterly repugnant.

A racist, asshole, Nazi who has the skills and willingness to fend off DOS attacks and other malicious activity. All while he makes us sick with his loathsome postings and antisocial behavior. One of the worst trolls.

Egads.

Bill

3 minutes ago, SpyCar said:

First, thanks for explaining what looks like a complex situation. 

Welcome. Like I said....the council now is in charge of the running of the site. I am here for account issues (and to explain why things like this happen) 

Here we have a classic conundrum and a classic dilemma.

To keep the site up and running seems to require--for the moment at least--the free services of a guy whose online persona (at least) is utterly repugnant.

Remember that it's repugnant to you. There are non liberals that like him a lot. While I respect your position on this..and don't want to argue the point in this venue....I see don't see it that way.

A racist, asshole, Nazi who has the skills and willingness to fend off DOS attacks and other malicious activity. All while he makes us sick with his loathsome postings and antisocial behavior. One of the worst trolls.

Egads.

Bill

3 minutes ago, Ghostofkf said:

Welcome. Like I said....the council now is in charge of the running of the site. I am here for account issues (and to explain why things like this happen) 

Remember that it's repugnant to you. There are non liberals that like him a lot. While I respect your position on this..and don't want to argue the point in this venue....I see don't see it that way.

Trust that (if not for the complex dilemma you lay out) the preponderance of this council would bounce the guy out of his position with dispatch. He's among the most malicious trolls on this forum from my perspective.I doubt that's a minority view.

I do appreciate the position you're in.

Bill

1 hour ago, Ghostofkf said:

I for one, would like this.  It would add another way to acknowledge appreciation while not being subject to abuse or manipulation by others.

1 hour ago, SpyCar said:

Trust that (if not for the complex dilemma you lay out) the preponderance of this council would bounce the guy out of his position with dispatch. He's among the most malicious trolls on this forum from my perspective.I doubt that's a minority view.

I do appreciate the position you're in.

Bill

I echo this.  

But I now have a better understanding of 123s skills and the role they play on the forum.  I would never have imagined it, judging by his deplorable behavior on these boards.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SpyCar said:

2 hours ago, Ghostofkf said:

This can be done. 

So we can keep up votes but scrap down votes and the entire reputation system? 
And keep the laughter and other icon too. 
Seems ideal to me. 

21 minutes ago, Olivaw said:

Seems ideal to me. 

Yes you can do that.

You can also keep the downvote and have it set to neutral so it doesn't give a negative reputation point.

It seems to me the reputation system can only be weaponized by downvotes or down voting effecting reputation.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Olivaw said:

Seems ideal to me. 

Unless someone objects to this, it appears to me like we've reached a consensus. This solution would provide a way to show solidarity (and even sympathy) to a fellow poster, while removing any motivation to engage in monkey business.

Win-win. As I see it.

Bill

• Upvote 1