Sign in to follow this  
drvoke

Remembering George Floyd, 'Gentle Giant'

George Floyd Described As A 'Gentle Giant' By Friends | WFAE

By all accounts George was turning his life around. Sure, there was a troubled past, and he had to cut corners from  time to time, but he was just trying to survive. 

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/28/864410788/a-look-at-george-floyds-life-that-ended-in-the-police-custody

(Full article at above link)

Friends of George Floyd watched in disbelief as the now-viral video played ending in his death.

The black man in the video was identified as Floyd, 46. He died Monday after he was taken to a hospital.

Friends describe him as a "gentle giant" — he was 6 feet, 7 inches — who grew up in Houston's Third Ward, a center of the city's African American community. A vigil was held this week at Houston's Emancipation Park, in the neighborhood where Floyd grew up.

He was remembered by friends as " just a young guy that was athletic, fun to be around and was lovable."

"He played two sports — football and basketball," a friend said. "He talented enough to get a basketball scholarship from Florida State University." He didn't finish college there, instead returning to Houston to pursue another passion — making music. For a while in the 1990s, he performed under the name Big Floyd and collaborated with other artists in the local hip-hop scene.

Floyd was pulling his life back together after getting in trouble with the law and spending time in jail. By most accounts, Floyd was doing well in Minneapolis, where he found a new community.

"He was a peaceful and loving man" who wouldn't have liked the "violence, vandalism and riots."

Family and friends say they want the focus to be on Floyd, saying he was a good person.

"We need to see justice happen," his cousin Shareeduh Tate said. She called Floyd's death a murder and wants police prosecuted. "We want to see them arrested. We want to see them charged. We want to see them convicted for what they did."

The Death of George Floyd in Minneapolis: What We Know So Far ...

2 hours ago, drvoke said:

By all accounts George was turning his life around. Sure, there was a troubled past, and he had to cut corners from  time to time, but he was just trying to survive. 

Dude....it is wrong on every level and a sad thing what happened to the man BUT give the ultraliberal shit a break.

All I'm going to remember about him is the riots and looting. 

12 minutes ago, Old Mack said:

Dude....it is wrong on every level and a sad thing what happened to the man BUT give the ultraliberal shit a break.

I'm sorry if I said something to upset you. That wasn't my intent.

2 hours ago, drvoke said:

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/28/864410788/a-look-at-george-floyds-life-that-ended-in-the-police-custody

Friends of George Floyd watched in disbelief as the now-viral video played ending in his death.

The black man in the video was identified as Floyd, 46. He died Monday after he was taken to a hospital.

Friends describe him as a "gentle giant" — he was 6 feet, 7 inches — who grew up in Houston's Third Ward, a center of the city's African American community. A vigil was held this week at Houston's Emancipation Park, in the neighborhood where Floyd grew up.

He was remembered by friends as " just a young guy that was athletic, fun to be around and was lovable."

"He played two sports — football and basketball," a friend said. "He talented enough to get a basketball scholarship from Florida State University." He didn't finish college there, instead returning to Houston to pursue another passion — making music. For a while in the 1990s, he performed under the name Big Floyd and collaborated with other artists in the local hip-hop scene.

Floyd was pulling his life back together after getting in trouble with the law and spending time in jail. By most accounts, Floyd was doing well in Minneapolis, where he found a new community.

"He was a peaceful and loving man" who wouldn't have liked the "violence, vandalism and riots."

Family and friends say they want the focus to be on Floyd, saying he was a good person.

"We need to see justice happen," his cousin Shareeduh Tate said. She called Floyd's death a murder and wants police prosecuted. "We want to see them arrested. We want to see them charged. We want to see them convicted for what they did."

Sounds like the family is well balanced in their response. It's a shame other blacks have to dishonor his memory by acting like fucking animals. 

3 minutes ago, drvoke said:

Basketball, jail, turning his life around, making music...all in one post.

3 minutes ago, Old Mack said:

Quite the eulogy, hopefully he didn't procreate.

1 minute ago, Str8tEdge said:

Sounds like the family is well balanced in their response. It's a shame other blacks have to dishonor his memory by acting like fucking animals. 

Monkey See Monkey Do Grown-Up T-Shirt | Etsy

6 minutes ago, Old Mack said:

I must have accidently edited out the fact that he was also an accomplished break dancer.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, drvoke said:

I must have accidently edited out the fact that he was also an accomplished break dancer.

Unless some bombshell evidence comes out, the cops should be charged with man slaughter at the very least.

6 minutes ago, RebelGator said:

ezg7tmdxgam-_yx-jpeg.22057

That PIC looks like it was staged.

Surely no Negro like that...really exist !

10 minutes ago, RebelGator said:

ezg7tmdxgam-_yx-jpeg.22057

They don't drink Jack Daniel's. Fake news.

50 minutes ago, Old Mack said:

Why is saying that the cop screwed up as a cop COULD screw up by killing this guy "ultraliberal shit'?

1 minute ago, drvoke said:

They don't drink Jack Daniel's. Fake news.

Clearly, he was simply planning to give this Jack Daniels to his beloved boss, who was White.

47 minutes ago, Str8tEdge said:

He was the third brother of five  Doing whatever he had to do to survive. I'm not saying what he did was alright. Trying to break out of the ghetto was a day to day fight

1 hour ago, drvoke said:

Yes.

Yes, it was.

You are a provocateur.

You lie.   And you are not good at it.

Is it true..............that I can easily defeat you in battle?

Yes.

I think that is true.

Have a nice day...................(loser)....................😎

8 minutes ago, Taipan said:

You are a provocateur.

I call him drPROvoke

he puts in the time to craft these troll posts ,  give him some props!

@drvoke

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EltonJohnson said:

He was the third brother of five  Doing whatever he had to do to survive. I'm not saying what he did was alright. Trying to break out of the ghetto was a day to day fight

👍

George Floyd remembered as 'gentle giant' at North Carolina ...

If you ever find yourself in despair, remember that even a career criminal and drug-addled hoodlum can change the world.

George Floyd remembered as 'gentle giant' at memorial service

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/george-floyd-remembered-as-gentle-giant-at-memorial-service/ar-BB157YoY?ocid=spartanntp

Hundreds of mourners mostly dressed in all white and wearing face masks gathered in Raeford, North Carolina, on Saturday to celebrate the life of George Floyd, who died late late month shortly after former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin was seen on video kneeling on Floyd's neck.

The public memorial service was held Saturday at the Cape Fear Conference B Headquarters, an affiliate with The United American Free Will Baptist Denomination.

Isaac Floyd, the uncle of George Floyd, sang a song at the service before George's stepmother Ruby Floyd gave remarks, according to the service's program. Local officials, like Hoke County Sheriff Hubert Peterkin and Reps. G.K. Butterfield and Richard Hudson, also spoke.

"George found a passion in bringing about change in communities by supporting the good work of everyone such that they can reach their fullest potential," said Floyd's obituary, which was read in silence.

Throughout Rev. Dr. Christopher Stackhouse Jr.'s eulogy, he referenced the "gentle giant" as "George Floyd, Perry Jr. is what they called him, who ate banana and mayonnaise sandwiches."   

The Banana Mayo Sandwich is a Southern Delicacy

On 5/29/2020 at 1:28 AM, drvoke said:

Wait... passing counterfeit bills while intoxicated on Fentanyl and meth while resisting arrest is turning your life around? 😂

Really.....

5 minutes ago, Str8tEdge said:

Wait... passing counterfeit bills while intoxicated on Fentanyl and meth while resisting arrest is turning your life around? 

Really.....

Floyd served five years in prison after pleading guilty to aggravated assault related to a 2007 incident in which he was accused of entering a woman’s home and pressing a gun to her stomach.

Floyd was sentenced to 10 months in jail for having less than one gram of cocaine in a December 2005 arrest 

He had previously been sentenced to eight months for the same offense, stemming from an October 2002 arrest 

Floyd was arrested in 2002 for criminal trespassing and served 30 days in jail

He had another stint for a theft in August 1998