Pastafarian

Great argument against the electoral college.

1 minute ago, Pengwin said:

Because it only has one Federal government over them all.  Shouldn't a Fed. election be the same as a State election, the one with the most votes wins?  Was this nation founded for the states or the people?

No.

3 minutes ago, kking said:

Why would I think of the US as one big state when everything in the founding documents say that they are a union of states?

Why can't the people in Florida vote for the governor of California?

1 minute ago, BatteryPowered said:

See numbnuts (a.k.a. Pengwin) you DID say the majority of voters voted for her. 

YOU LIED! 

The majority did, that doesn't mean over 50%. If I forgot I said it that way, I apologize.  I'm still not wrong.

ma·jor·i·ty
/məˈjôrədē,məˈjärədē/
noun
noun: majority; plural noun: majorities
  1. 1.
    the greater number.
    "in the majority of cases all will go smoothly"

1 minute ago, kfools said:

Because they are citizens of Florida not California.

Why can't the citizens of the US directly elect the President of the US?

The EC Compromise whys and hows  has been explained to you several times.  This Compromise is one of the very reason all States ratified the Constitution in the 1st place.

We are a republic which has a document that ensure certain rights may not be taken away, EVEN if a temp. majority votes to do away with them.  In our document certain rights and other provisions are detailed (including how we elect Presidents)  We have elected Presidents for over 200 years and seems to work just fine.   

1 minute ago, neilcar said:

We have elected Presidents for over 200 years and seems to work just fine.   

I disagree, and we don't live in 1820.

Just now, Pengwin said:

I disagree, and we don't live in 1820.

Again, I point you to article IV.  What are you doing about it?

11 hours ago, kking said:

Do you have any skepticism about a system that would allow roughly twelve states to determine the president every single election? Or, to put it another way, for roughly 20 metropolitan areas to determine the president every single election?

None whatsoever, King. 

States are artificially defined areas of land. Why should we apportion votes to land? 

7 minutes ago, Pengwin said:

Because it only has one Federal government over them all.  Shouldn't a Fed. election be the same as a State election, the one with the most votes wins?  Was this nation founded for the states or the people?

That logic applies equally to congress, which passes legislation for the whole country... do you not see my point here?

6 minutes ago, kfools said:

Exactly. Majority rule, right?

Just now, Huey said:

Again, I point you to article IV.  What are you doing about it?

Telling you that that hack is as bad as the people not being able to directly elect their senators, which we fixed with the 17th Amendment.

The same needs to be done to end the EC.  It's undemocratic.

2 minutes ago, Pengwin said:

Because they are citizens of the state.  Look at your voter registration and tell us who issued it.

If we EVER have a national election in this country we will need to set up some rules.  Right now, every election is either state level or lower. 

Just now, kking said:

That logic applies equally to congress, which passes legislation for the whole country... do you not see my point here?

The people get to elect there members of Congress, but not their President.  Get it, now?

Just now, BatteryPowered said:

Because they are citizens of the state.  Look at your voter registration and tell us who issued it.

If we EVER have a national election in this country we will need to set up some rules.  Right now, every election is either state level or lower. 

The rule is simple, he who gets the most votes becomes the President.

it's no more complicated than that.

The people get to elect there members of Congress, but not their President.  Get it, now?

We have been telling you that.  The people don't elect the President...the states elect the President.

I'm glad you finally admit it.

Just now, Pengwin said:

Telling you that that hack is as bad as the people not being able to directly elect their senators, which we fixed with the 17th Amendment.

The same needs to be done to end the EC.  It's undemocratic.

Your first mistake is thinking senators were representatives of the people.  They were not and are still not supposed to be.  The senators represent the STATE's interest.  That is why the state appointed them.  The House of Representative are the direct representatives of the people.  

Next, we are not a democracy.  We are a Republic of 50 individual States using democratic principles.  Not a pure democracy.  

I know understand why you are confused on this entire issue and why it is done this way.

2 minutes ago, kking said:

Exactly. Majority rule, right?

Within the election, right.

So, since that is true at state and local levels, why isn't that true at the national level?

1 minute ago, Olivaw said:

States are artificially defined areas of land. Why should we apportion votes to land? 

The same reason we apportion senators to land, and federal resources to land - because we understand that simple majority rule distorts the function and priorities of the nation at large. 

There are way more urban dwellers than rural dwellers. But if you give no representation to rural dwellers (or proportionally diminished representation), you have no food supply, no raw materials, reduced transport, etc. 

When you gain possession of your own country, you can do whatever stupid thing you want, moonbat.

Just now, Pengwin said:

Within the election, right.

So, since that is true at state and local levels, why isn't that true at the national level?

It is. The president is elected by the states. 

Just now, BatteryPowered said:

We have been telling you that.  The people don't elect the President...

Yes, I know, and that's wrong.  We the people, for the people, not the states.

I see. Look you actually answered YAY. 

So then states are sovereign even though members from both are citizens?

Because that would be like voting for the governor of Nebraska in California. Due to population differences Nebraska would have no actual say over who was thier governor.

You are absolutely correct.  And 538 people (selected by the people of the various states as determined by the people they directly elected) get to vote on who becomes President.  Whoever gets at lease 270 of those votes, wins.

Just now, RichClem said:

When you gain possession of your own country, you can do whatever stupid thing you want, moonbat.

This is my own country.  People like be founded it, I'm a liberal.

1 minute ago, kfools said:

Because that would be like voting for the governor of Nebraska in California.

No, does someone in Nebraska vote in elections in California? Citizens of each state vote for those in their state but citizens of the US cannot vote like that for an election in the US.  Why?